After about 2 years of trying i can kind of play the A barre chord.

Playing a B i play the 2nd fret, 5th string, and 3,4 and 5 strings on the 4th fret.

Thing is, i can't get the bend so i mute the high E string instead of playing it barred on the 2nd fret.

Is this a common way that people play? Can i tick it off and move on? Or do i need to try harder to get the ring finger more flexible?

Thanking you
The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.
You can try slightly bending your hand so that it is a bit diagonal. I found that helped me when playing it. Otherwise, I just let it mute the high e and if I am lucky I will get it.

Alternatively you can play the A shape using your middle, ring and pinky fingers. Might be easier for you like that. Sometimes beneficial, for example, going from A to Bb.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Are you playing an acoustic or electric? Some electric guitar necks are slightly narrower, which makes it harder to get the first string. Acoustic guitar necks are generally a little wider, so it makes it easier, although you have to apply more pressure to fret the strings.

Additionally, since you've only been playing for a couple of years, it might take a little longer. Just keep at it. Oh, how's that ol' F chord? Can you play that one?
Quote by KG6_Steven
Are you playing an acoustic or electric? Some electric guitar necks are slightly narrower, which makes it harder to get the first string. Acoustic guitar necks are generally a little wider, so it makes it easier, although you have to apply more pressure to fret the strings.

Additionally, since you've only been playing for a couple of years, it might take a little longer. Just keep at it. Oh, how's that ol' F chord? Can you play that one?

I'm on acoustic.

I figure if i can play 4 strings on an A barre that's gonna be enough so i'm not too worried about the high E.

I played F with the high 4 strings for every song and refused to attempt the barre as i just couldn't do it....then i realised i was going nowhere and the chords needed some bass.

So i'd play up the neck as i could get all the notes there but not at first fret. I just gradually worked my way down, but it still took well over a year.
The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.