The guitar I own currently is an old Hondo Revival H737B, which is a Les Paul copy originating from Japan. From what I have read on Hondo guitars, I gather that this model was made in the late seventies or early eighties. I bought it two years ago off of somebody locally.
There are only a few things I am unhappy about with this guitar; adjustment of one of the knobs produces a crackling noise from the amplifier, to me the neck is not very comfortable, and the guitar is very heavy.
Lately I have been browsing some newer guitars online, and am wondering if owning a newer guitar would be advantageous over this one. Some potential candidates I've chosen are the Ibanez GRG150DX and the RG3EXFM1. I'm looking for something which is light and has a fast neck.
Also, if it bears any importance, the styles I play most often are metal and rock, and occasionally folk.

Any insights?

Attached pictures are of my current guitar.

Quote by Aftiel_TK
to me the neck is not very comfortable, and the guitar is very heavy.

This is the only reason anyone ever needs to get a new guitar. The single most important purpose of a guitar is to be comfortable to you so you can play to the extent of your abilities.

EDIT: Answer these questions and we'll get this ball rolling https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 24, 2012,
That guitar is beautiful! If you're going to buy a new, cheap guitar, expect to see a significant decrease in quality, tone and playability. But if you don't like the thick neck... well, go to a music store and try some guitars out.
Quote by Offworld92
This is the only reason anyone ever needs to get a new guitar. The single most important purpose of a guitar is to be comfortable to you so you can play to the extent of your abilities.

EDIT: Answer these questions and we'll get this ball rolling https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

Oh yeah, the tone has nothing to do with it.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Nitnatsnok
Les Pauls are supposed to be heavy aint they? For the sustain?

That doesn't make any sense. The Maple top of Gibson Les Pauls are the main contributor. I have one made of all maple that sustains for days, and it's only a pound heavier than an average Fender Strat.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Oh yeah, the tone has nothing to do with it.

Put a strat through a Dual Rec or a superstrat through a Dual Rec - either way it's going to sound like someone playing a Dual Rec.

On top of that there are hundreds of different pickups out there. If someone doesn't like the tone of their guitar, it's very, very easy to fix that. You can't fix not liking the way a guitar feels. For those reasons, using tone as a criteria for choosing a guitar is rather dumb. The feel and aesthetics should be the most important thing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I thank you all for your opinions.

I will soon be traveling to a larger city where there are more guitar shops to be found, as opposed to the lone local shop where I live. I have played a few of the guitars there, and did find the smoother necks easier and faster to play. I discovered also that their lighter-gauged strings were easier to play, unlike the heavy thirteen gauged strings I had on my guitar previously.
Before deciding upon whether or not I should 'upgrade' to a newer guitar, I'll wait until I've sampled a wider variety of guitars elsewhere.
Yeah, and that GRG might not be a step up from the Hondo. Any RG is a lot better to work with, and higher end (Prestiges) might never need any upgrades at all. The RG you mention could be a great guitar. When you get a tube amp someday you might want to swap pickups, but the ones on there already should be fine for your solid state amp. The only thing is the RG has a full 25.75" scale. You might find a short (24") scale more comfortable, but those aren't readily available with 24 frets like you'd want for metal.

As for the Hondo knob issue; it would be easy enough to replace the potentiometer. Under $10 if you already have a soldering iron. $15 - $80 more if you need to buy an iron.

Also, Offworld92 makes a great point...unless you're playing multiple guitars on the same amp with a clean setting, then the amp makes a much bigger difference in tone than the guitar or even the pickups will. Oh, you got a Mustang I? You should be able to get some good tones out of that at moderate volume.

You mentioned string gauge. 13s on a 24.75" scale guitar will be like 11s on a 25.5" guitar. Unless you want to play a lot of metal, you might be happier with a shorter scale guitar like a Mustang or Jaguar (24"). Just make sure it has 22 frets and not 21.

Final point: Keep the Hondo...you won't get enough money for it to be worth not having it.
For what it's worth, the crackling noise when you adjust the knobs most likely means you need to clean the pots. If you sell it at a store, they might knock some money off the trade-in value, so fix that in the mean time.
I am a fake mountain.
Quote by DanTheHobbit
For what it's worth, the crackling noise when you adjust the knobs most likely means you need to clean the pots. If you sell it at a store, they might knock some money off the trade-in value, so fix that in the mean time.

+1 deoxit spray it in to the pot rotate back and fourth and in 75% o the times it has worked great for me. the other pots were rescued from an 80's shit strat copy i bought for $30 or $40, mainly for the Khaler those knobs were so bad i couldn't get the dirt out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a black les paul custom and after two hours it feels like somebody broke my shoulder.They're chambered for sustain.It,s heavy,uncomfortable,the wiring sucks you ain't happy with the way it sounds.I think you answered your own question.Go to the biggest guitar store you can find where they don't bug you and play everything you can get your hands on.In your price range.You'll know it when you hit the right one.And take that one,not another one in a box outta the back room.You'll probably get a discount for buying a display,and they're all different.Same company same model,I swear they will be different.Good luck.Try a strat.Don't worry about where it's made.You will know the right one,whatever it is.You'll keep goin back to it.
Les Paul to Ibanez is a big jump in weight and neck, maybe go for an SG type guitar for a not so big change in playing. I mean, if you really want a BIG change then go for the Ibanez, maybe a schecter.
An Ibanez GRG will be newer yes, but it won't be better - it'll be a much worse instrument quality-wise.

Nothing wrong with buying a second guitar, but if you're going to replace the Hondo just make sure you do actually upgrade or at least get something of equivalent quality.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
As soon as you said that you're hearing cracks... if it's the guitar, yeah get a new one, but don't go for a cheap one that will give you even worse problems.
crackling noises is usuallly dirty pots and a £5 can of contact cleaner spray will fix that - you dont buy a new car just because the windscreen washers run out.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think I'll discard the idea of getting the Gio RG. From the reviews I've read on it, it does appear to be a cheaper make of the real RG.
I'll also try cleaning the pots on this guitar, as has been recommended.