Hey everyone, I'm new to guitar (just started two days ago) and new to this forum. Looking to meet some good people and hopefully learn to play the guitar fairly well.

Anyway, I've learnt all the chords to my first song. However, I can't seem to figure out the strumming. Maybe I'm just no good at strumming (yet) but I can't really pick out the difference in sounds to figure out how to strum it.

I can do the slow strumming part at the beginning (I think anyway, I hear down, down, up, down). But after that, I get completely lost.

Here is a video showing the song being played by someone, could anyone help me out? Also any tips on how to figure out the patterns would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNO56cCnBwc
Last edited by natey2k4 at Feb 24, 2012,
Really the best thing you can do is to try and make out the strumming pattern: your ears are your most important tool so you need to work on them.

Also, if you can't get it by ear right away there's nothing wrong with just picking a strumming pattern you think fits and you can work with and just running with that until you can pick out the actual pattern by ear.

Again: even if you can't get it at first by ear, keep trying. Learning anything by ear is a pretty damn steep learning curve but it is one of the most invaluable skills you will ever learn.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Really the best thing you can do is to try and make out the strumming pattern: your ears are your most important tool so you need to work on them.

Also, if you can't get it by ear right away there's nothing wrong with just picking a strumming pattern you think fits and you can work with and just running with that until you can pick out the actual pattern by ear.

Again: even if you can't get it at first by ear, keep trying. Learning anything by ear is a pretty damn steep learning curve but it is one of the most invaluable skills you will ever learn.

I'm hoping to learn it by ear, so thanks for the advice.

The problem is, as soon as it goes faster, it boggles my mind. I just get completely lost and I have no idea what the "up" and "down" sounds are, really.

I know I won't be able to learn too quickly, so I'm not getting frustrated which is a good thing. Just having trouble picking out the sounds when the beat picks up.
Quote by natey2k4
I'm hoping to learn it by ear, so thanks for the advice.

The problem is, as soon as it goes faster, it boggles my mind. I just get completely lost and I have no idea what the "up" and "down" sounds are, really.

I know I won't be able to learn too quickly, so I'm not getting frustrated which is a good thing. Just having trouble picking out the sounds when the beat picks up.

Try this: http://www.ronimusic.com/software.htm Look at the program called "Amazing Slow-Downer". I've never used it myself but I've heard nothing but good things about it from some pretty experienced players.

Also just in case you haven't already got to this you may find it helps you out to keep your hand moving in a constant rhythm, so if the fastest part of the song is in 8ths then you keep your hand moving in that time but only hit the strings when you want them to sound. If the songs is fast or complicated it might not help but if you're just setting out then it's a pretty valuable skill to have as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Feb 24, 2012,
I think you are right seems as though there are two main parts
-down, down, up, down
-once it gets going you could pretty much go down up down up
however with this ^ quick added bass notes may sound good.
keep playing, it only gets harder lol