Firstly, I'm really sorry for asking so many silly questions about guitars xD I am in the market for a new guitar and am incredibly indecisive
Last year some time I played an LTD Phoenix-200. I consider the Firebird-ish style bodies to be some of the most comfortable bodies ever, contouring exceptionally well to your body whether they are sitting or standing. Unfortunately this is about all I remember about the guitar, being that I was only at the guitar store for a short time while on vacation and the closest ESP dealer is about a 2 hour drive away (Toronto).
So I was wondering: Are these guitars good quality? And how diverse are they?
I play from about as light as Alter Bridge and Coheed and Cambria to about as heavy as Killswitch Engage and Metallica.

EDIT: Should mention that were I to buy a Phoenix I would likely buy a Phoenix-1000
Last edited by samjbow at Feb 24, 2012,
http://youtu.be/vQlxNGj5xsg
Looks and sounds great, obviously it has humbuckers so it will do all that with proper equipment setup. Too bad you are a metal guy because I would run this baby into a Hot Rod Deluxe this thing screams blues.
good luck
The Phoenix-200 is not that great. The 1000, on the other hand, is awesome. As with any LTD Deluxe, there's nothing really "bad" about them, other than you not liking the way they feel.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The Phoenix-200 is not that great. The 1000, on the other hand, is awesome. As with any LTD Deluxe, there's nothing really "bad" about them, other than you not liking the way they feel.

the 1000 might be fine, but way more expensive. So its not really an option for TS.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
From my experience LTD are great, I havnt played a single LTD that wasnt built well with a good low action. And I can agree that the shape is awesome, I had a guy bring me a gibson firebird to work on and when I was done with it I played the sh*t out of that thing.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
the 1000 might be fine, but way more expensive. So its not really an option for TS.

The Deluxe series is at the very top of my price range (barely). I'm not afraid to spend a little more for the sake of quality.
Quote by samjbow
The Deluxe series is at the very top of my price range (barely). I'm not afraid to spend a little more for the sake of quality.

In that case, go for it. Always get the best you can afford.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
the 1000 series phoenix model is an absolute beast. it definitely doesn't play like a gibson does, but it has amazing sound and playability. on top of that, the hardware is good, and the pickups are really first rate.

get it. now.
Quote by krehzeekid
the 1000 series phoenix model is an absolute beast. it definitely doesn't play like a gibson does, but it has amazing sound and playability. on top of that, the hardware is good, and the pickups are really first rate.

get it. now.

How does it compare to the Gibson?
The Gibson Firebird is in my opinion one of the most gorgeous guitars around, but I played an Epiphone Firebird and hated the sound of it. But the Gibson Firebird V looks sweet - and that vintage sunburst is to kill for.
This is more for curiosity's sake than anything, I wouldn't buy a Gibson simply because of the price, but it's still fun to know :P
Quote by Poglia
The Phoenix 200 is a solid guitar. Here's a pro using it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDZYBipJnPw

Yes, it's the 200 model. He also uses it for touring.
What someone uses for a video shoot may not (in fact, rarely is) what they use for recording and touring. It's not uncommon for a band to use a regular LTD in videos but tour with LTD Deluxes or ESP models.

Also, holy balls, Poisonblack still exist. I saw them when they were supporting Lacuna Coil a few years back, I had forgotten all about them.

Anyway, I do actually think the 200 model is fine. The Pheonix is a neck-through guitar, so the body wings don't really matter; the core is maple and that's what counts in a neck-through guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by samjbow
How does it compare to the Gibson?
The Gibson Firebird is in my opinion one of the most gorgeous guitars around, but I played an Epiphone Firebird and hated the sound of it. But the Gibson Firebird V looks sweet - and that vintage sunburst is to kill for.
This is more for curiosity's sake than anything, I wouldn't buy a Gibson simply because of the price, but it's still fun to know :P

they feel very different. this is true of most ESP's that look like gibsons, btw. because ESP uses the thin U neck, it feels alot like a superstrat with a goofy body. it plays quite a bit faster than a gibson, and it feels easier to play in my hands. that being said, if you played them side by side, you'd see they're quite different in how they feel and sound. the gibson is very vintage in both respects, where the LTD is quite modern and aggressive.
Quote by krehzeekid
they feel very different. this is true of most ESP's that look like gibsons, btw. because ESP uses the thin U neck, it feels alot like a superstrat with a goofy body. it plays quite a bit faster than a gibson, and it feels easier to play in my hands. that being said, if you played them side by side, you'd see they're quite different in how they feel and sound. the gibson is very vintage in both respects, where the LTD is quite modern and aggressive.

I wouldn't say it plays faster, i find necks that are too thin really uncomfortable.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I wouldn't say it plays faster, i find necks that are too thin really uncomfortable.

personal preference. I agree that too thin is an issue, but the ESP isn't that thin, just thinner than gibson
Quote by Darkdevil725
yeah ESP are kind of a middle ground between ibanez thin and gibson thick.

I think that is the truth. They are thin, but not too thin, but also not super thick in comparison. They are a nice middle ground, I don't know if I would consider them comparable to Fender, and feel very similar.
I don't really care about neck thickness anymore, after a while you just get used to the guitar..
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.