I just was wondering if it's possible to use a fuzz pedal as a boost like you do an Overdrive pedal. I've never owned a Fuzz, but I thought it might make for a nice, smooth solo tone If used as a boost. Has anyone tried this? Would it work at all?
Yes. Hendrix did this all the time. Eric Johnson does it as well. Fuzz face works best for this purpose.
So would I work it just like an OD boost? Volume full and Fuzz/Sustain all the way down? I should also mention that I would be doing this for Metal, so I would already have a ton of gain.
not sure if i'd do it for metal

as andrew says guys like hendrix etc. do it all the time, and it does "work", but they're not exactly playing metal, either. it tends to always sound like a fuzz (which is perfectly fine if that's what you want). I think, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wouldn't be good for metal, except for maybe stoner metal or something. Boosting an overdriven amp with a fuzz is really more to smooth out the fuzz than anything else. It's not really "boosting" even, it's just a matter of running a fuzz in front of an overdriven amp really. Not every OD is good for boosting for metal either. Some ODs like tubescreamers are good for that because they cut bass and make the sound more compressed and tighter. But a fuzz is just going to make things looser and saggier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZruE7E_4OU&feature=related

If you fast forward to around 1:08, you can hear the strat through a slightly overdriven Marshall and then he kicks on the fuzz face at around 1:12. It still has that gated, saggy low end that you hear in a fuzz. It's not really the same kind of sound that an OD in front of an overdriven amp provides. And you can hear that at 1:29 because he switches to the Tube Driver in front of the Marshall.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 25, 2012,
yeah exactly

also the best bit of that vid is at the end
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It was just a though. I wouldn't want to buy/make a fuzz and then it be totally useless. I like to play Stoner stuff and Hendrix and whatnot, but that's just for me by myself. If it wouldn't be good for my band, I would probably avoid the purchase, but I might grab one just to try it.
oh yeah i mean you might as well pick one up if that's teh case. for stuff which needs fuzz, it's very hard to get that type of a tone without a fuzz.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Myaccount876
I'd suggest a generic fuzz pedal then and see how it works out for you. If it does, then move up to something better suited for you.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Danelectro-D-7-FAB-Fuzz-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-H71386-i1797764.gc

That's what I planned on, but ai'll probably grab a cheap kit to build my own.
A fuzz factory would work for a boost, may be a bit overkill though.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
I just posted a tone test of my new amp. I use a fuzz as a boost.

The first riff is a Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz - sometimes boosted by a Maxon OD808. The Maxon is set as a clean boost with the volume cranked and the gain at zero.

The Musket has a built in clean boost knob that I set to zero. Essentially that control can do the same thing as the Maxon, but I have one more option of shutting it off by using the Maxon instead.

I'm playing it through the amps clean channel.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/667/music/play1089550

...also the first part of when I play The Haunted's "All Against All" (or try to play anyway).
Last edited by 667 at Feb 26, 2012,