Page 1 of 2
i recently noticed that the way i've been holding the pick has been hindering my playing, as the pick kinda slides around in my fingers too much and i end up playing with more of the side of the pick than the tip. i found a new method and while its moderatley comftorable, its still not perfectly natural yet, how long should it take for me to get used to it?
It's probably different for every person. Just make a habit of it and it shouldnt take too long. What style of music do you play?
Machine F**king Head \m/
Honestly, I have no idea. Just make a point of holding the pick in the most comfortable and efficient way you can when you practice and you'll eventually realize that it's become habit.
alright well i'll just keep at it, techmetal, i general play metal, especiall thrash like metallica and megadeth so i'm really trying to get my picking hand up to par
Quote by ironfather0
alright well i'll just keep at it, techmetal, i general play metal, especiall thrash like metallica and megadeth so i'm really trying to get my picking hand up to par

Well I make an X with my thumb and index finger...and put the index finger near parallel to the guitar... My .02
I guess it depends on a few things, and in particular how long you've been playing that way. I know i used the same picking style for my first year of playing, then i force myself to anchor my pinky... About 2 years into playing i forced myself to close my hand, and about a year later now to this day my hand has kind of naturally opened up. Alot of the time i play with my 3 fingers out, but i try to avoid anchoring them. I only really anchor my pinky on a very difficult passage, even though i know i shouldn't.

What i'm trying to say is that i think your picking technique will naturally evolve over time.

I know of people such as one of my close friends who had a teacher who told him he like had to anchor his pinky and ring finger, so he taped them together when he would play the guitar. Seems a little unnecessary though haha
I angled the pick backwards for about 15 months. It took me about a week to get used to the new way of picking, the first day or two felt so awkward.
It just takes time. For the first three years I played the guitar I held the pick with two fingers (index and middle) and my thumb. Eventually I realized I needed to switch to make my technique better and it just took time to get used to it, especially when strumming (although Paul Gilbert holds his with two fingers+thumb to strum!).

Your guitar technique is going to be a constant evolution. Just try and find the things that work for you, and when you can't figure it out just ask for help!
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Vecheka
It just takes time. For the first three years I played the guitar I held the pick with two fingers (index and middle) and my thumb. Eventually I realized I needed to switch to make my technique better and it just took time to get used to it, especially when strumming (although Paul Gilbert holds his with two fingers+thumb to strum!).

Your guitar technique is going to be a constant evolution. Just try and find the things that work for you, and when you can't figure it out just ask for help!

I did exactly the same thing!
I played for about 10 years holding the pick with 2 fingers and my thumb - I finally discovered the limitations this was imposing on me and changed it to the more conventional index finger and thumb.

It took me about a year to get fully comfortable with it.

TS it'll take as long as it needs to take for you to get used to a new technique - factors such as amount of practice, consistency and how long you've been playing will affect this period.
Quote by Matt.Guitar
I did exactly the same thing!
I played for about 10 years holding the pick with 2 fingers and my thumb - I finally discovered the limitations this was imposing on me and changed it to the more conventional index finger and thumb.

Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Thinking about the way I started playing the guitar almost makes me sad. I had no idea what "good technique" was, and I didn't really know where to look to get good ideas for correcting my problems. Most of it I just figured out along the way. For instance, along with the pick holding problem, I also had convinced myself that I only needed to downstroke to be able to play well. So, I unintentionally stunted my growth for the first three years of playing. Changing the problems just took time and hard work.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by ironfather0
i recently noticed that the way i've been holding the pick has been hindering my playing, as the pick kinda slides around in my fingers too much and i end up playing with more of the side of the pick than the tip. i found a new method and while its moderatley comftorable, its still not perfectly natural yet, how long should it take for me to get used to it?

Different for everyone.

I held my pick in a really messed up way for my first 2 years of playing, then i got more serious about learning and i understood my picking method just wasent going to cut it. (I gripped the pick with thumb, index and middle finger and it was angled like "l" to the strings, also that i prob was tensed up as hell dident help).

So i switched and it was really wierd. But i got used to it in about 2-4 weeks.
Just remember, when changing/practicing anything. Start ridiculously slow.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
I started out anchoring a lot when i just started playing, but then i said to my self hell no, not anymore :P Then i learned something similar to Paul Gilbert's picking style.

A thing i noticed was that i Play way better with Jazz III plektrums than regular sized.

Took me about 1-2 weeks to get used to it ;D

But yeah just like all the other's said make a habit of it and you will get it down in no time
Last edited by ZoaL at Feb 25, 2012,
thanks for the words of advice and enouragment again, its actually starting to feel more natural today, i imagine by the end of the week i'll have it down pretty good, amazing how playing around with my pick grip for 2 hours can yield such good results
It takes a long time to really get it down, i guess around 1-2 years to really get it down if you play a lot. Anyone claiming to master something in the course of few weeks, is already a super high caliber player or a douche fooling himself.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 26, 2012,
Quote by Slashiepie
It takes a long time to really get it down, i guess around 1-2 years to really get it down if you play a lot. Anyone claiming to master something in the course of few weeks, is already a super high caliber player or a douche fooling himself.

I think you are talking about picking in general, what we answered was that it takes a couple of weeks to comfortable change picking technique (Different for every person of course) not to get comfortable with picking.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
is it kind of normal to have to retrain my wrist to do gallop picking and alt picking after chaning my picking method? I was just wondering because i noticed now that i used less of my pick its a little bit harder to gallop at the moment
Quote by ironfather0
is it kind of normal to have to retrain my wrist to do gallop picking and alt picking after chaning my picking method? I was just wondering because i noticed now that i used less of my pick its a little bit harder to gallop at the moment

Yes. While changing some stuff will become more difficult, for me my downpicking went to alot when i switched (I really dident do much alt picking until recently) but once you are used to the new picking technique, getting back to your previous skill level and beyond will be much more smooth in my opinion.

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
so i've analyzing my picking method a bit more and i think its time for me to facfe the inevitalbe and just break down and start using the more conventiona thumb and side of index finger, for awhile i've been playing wiht thum and the pad of of my index finger and it while its a bit comfortable, the pick is not staying as steady in my hand as i liked it,

I've startred trying the with my indexfinger curled and my thumb pad clamping down, still choking the pick a bit more. it feels kind of awakard and kind of hard to play, but its seems like i'm starting to get a bit more accusteomed to it and the tone when i hit the notes right seems really good with this method, Even though i think its kind of awkward right now to play with this method should i still stick with it? my pick doesn't slide around and it seems like in the long run this is the better method
Quote by ironfather0
so i've analyzing my picking method a bit more and i think its time for me to facfe the inevitalbe and just break down and start using the more conventiona thumb and side of index finger, for awhile i've been playing wiht thum and the pad of of my index finger and it while its a bit comfortable, the pick is not staying as steady in my hand as i liked it,

I've startred trying the with my indexfinger curled and my thumb pad clamping down, still choking the pick a bit more. it feels kind of awakard and kind of hard to play, but its seems like i'm starting to get a bit more accusteomed to it and the tone when i hit the notes right seems really good with this method, Even though i think its kind of awkward right now to play with this method should i still stick with it? my pick doesn't slide around and it seems like in the long run this is the better method

I would say yes on that aswell, just slow down and play comfortable. You don't want to get any bad habits with your new picking technique cause you are playing too fast/sloopy or anything.

But yeah, stick to it. It seems awkward at first but you'll get used to it rather quickly.

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
sorry to keep asking questions but i just want to make sure i'm getting this write so i don't have to relearn to hold the pick again, is it normal form my index finger to hurt a little bit while i'm still getting used to this method? also below i'm posting a picture of my old picking method compared to the new ones, just wanna make sure i'm holding it ok:

old method:
http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt=P1130260.jpg

new method:

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt=P2280264.jpg

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt=P2280265.jpg

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt=P2280269.jpg

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt=P2280268.jpg
Quote by ironfather0
sorry to keep asking questions but i just want to make sure i'm getting this write so i don't have to relearn to hold the pick again, is it normal form my index finger to hurt a little bit while i'm still getting used to this method? also below i'm posting a picture of my old picking method compared to the new ones, just wanna make sure i'm holding it ok:

old method:
http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt=P1130260.jpg

new method:

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt=P2280264.jpg

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt=P2280265.jpg

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt=P2280269.jpg

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt=P2280268.jpg

Page not found..

I needed about 2 weeks to get comfortable with my new technique. After that I played once in a week for about a month, and now it feels awkward to use my old technique
I can't see any problems with it. Judging from just seeing the index and thumb you hold the pick just like me.

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
alright cool, well i'll just keep on practicing with this method, got alot of work to do to get comfortortable with it again
Quote by ironfather0
alright cool, well i'll just keep on practicing with this method, got alot of work to do to get comfortortable with it again

-For warm up, do some chromatic with alt picking with your new technique.
-Then try some solos or a song you already know and play it without thinking of your right hand (don't worry if you end up holding the pick like you used to) keep playing.
-Concentrate on some strumming patterns and use your new technique, try not to drop the pick.

do this again with different patterns, scales..

Practice songs you know for a day or two, and when you think about your picking try to use your new technique. If you can't (those are songs you already know and your brain already know what to do) don't get frustrated, keep playing as it please you.

Do this until you don't think of the way you use your pick when you want to play.
You will eventually learn something new and get used to your new technique.
so are you saying practice with the new method, but also incorporate my old method as well?
I would say use the new one all the time. You will be able to play stuff you've played with your old technique if you just get used to the one you are using now. I see no reason to use the old one.

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
damn this is hard but i'm think i'm starting to get a tad accustomed, is it normal when i try to pick fast that sometimes there a pain in the index finger, i'm not used to using my index finger in this method so it will prob go away in time right? also end up loosening up mygrip when playing slow clean parts, is that alright as well? or should i make sure i'm keeping the pick gripped the same 100 percent of the time
Last edited by ironfather0 at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by ironfather0
damn this is hard but i'm think i'm starting to get a tad accustomed, is it normal when i try to pick fast that sometimes there a pain in the index finger, i'm not used to using my index finger in this method so it will prob go away in time right? also end up loosening up mygrip when playing slow clean parts, is that alright as well? or should i make sure i'm keeping the pick gripped the same 100 percent of the time

I think it may be that you are playing to fast vs. how used to the new picking style you are.
Start slowly, speed will come with time. Just make sure you get comfortable and relaxed with this picking technique.

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
well the good news is starting to feel a bit more comfy in my hand, the bad news, my god am i awful with this technique so far, feels so weird trying to pick the strings. any specific excercise that would help aside from those chormatic excercisesi and su ch, also my index finger sometimes hits a string, any method for stoping that?
so i think i know why i'm so horrible with this, i'm kind of trying to pull my hand it more of fist, i tried losening up a bit and playing with my index finger still kind curled in the back of the pick but not as much and i'm getting a better tone, its kind of like a much better relaxed and efficent improvement over my old picking style
Without video footage of you playing i can't say much at this point. My first thought would be that you are either:
a) Too tense (Or not relaxed enough, same thing different name)
b) Practicing too fast (As when learning anything new/changing anything in your technique, you have to relearn it ridiculously slow)

The fist thing should not be a problem (well it is if you tense up, try to relax), i personally play with a fist (=all my fingers tucked in) and it works fine.

As for exercises, anything will do really. Take a song, a solo lick or just some chromatic/scale stuff. Just as long as you are going to play it relaxed at a reasonable tempo with the new technique.

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
Well looks good in my opinion. Just keep work on it, and it'll be alright!

Just putting out there since i can't really see if you are doing it or not. Remember to pick from your wrist, not from the arm. As said, i don't know if you're doing it in this video or not since i'm simply not seeing that much "riffing" or such if you know what i mean. So just a piece of advice.

Good luck brother, keep practicing!

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
There's nothing wrong with side pick playing. Stevie Ray did it that way and it's also how I prefer it. I find the strings slide off more cleanly than with the pointy tip.

It also gives you two picking surfaces on each standard pick as opposed to just one.
alright cool then i'll just keep working on slowing myself down a bit, and yeah i'm do mainly pick from my wrists, i've never had a problem with trying to pick with the whole arm, the only time i move my arm is if i'm moving my picking hand to some lower or higher strings
really it comes down to how long you practice, how relaxed and slow you practice. The more you do it the shorter the time it will take to get used to it.
its normal there to be a little discomfort or pain in the side of my index finger when first using this method right? since i'm not used to playing with it on side
Page 1 of 2