Since I'm not very clued up on preamps for direct recording other than Line 6's and the Marshall JMP-1 what are some other good options? At the moment I'm thinking Line 6 POD 2.0, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm looking for something as cheap as possible before quality is sacrificed, but if you know more expensive pre-amps then post them anyway. Amp needed for Metal/Hard Rock and maybe some cleans e.g. Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Ayreon...

Will this do the trick? - £109
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
It depends what you mean on quality, but personally I think the Line 6 POD "bean" you have pictured here would be a fine, a POD HD would be even better.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
It depends what you mean on quality, but personally I think the Line 6 POD "bean" you have pictured here would be a fine, a POD HD would be even better.
I've heard the HD series amps aren't as warm sounding (different chip) but it's not very noticeable on Youtube clips. Also, since the 2.0 is (a lot) cheaper I figured it would be a better starting point but if you think otherwise, I'm open to persuasion...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I have a digitech valve fx that can record, I have never done it but I can tell you that the sound while playings is awesome.
LIne 6 products can be very dodgy. Some of them work great but a lot of them start to have problems after a year and the company does nothing about it. All they do is ask you to buy a new one.

I know about the US but here in India the guitar store i frequent has stopped stocking all Line 6 products because they've had bad experiences.
Dang. I'd sell you my POD 2.0 in a heartbeat if I were home. Care to wait 5 weeks? ha...
I am a fake mountain.
you can go with the Pod, but for quality I would get a nice USB interface or something and then go from the pod into that. Check out Focusrite or RME
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
How about you skip the pod and use a Line 6 Pod Studio GX or UX1 and pod farm software effects and record directly to the PC. Since your going to have to get some recording software the GX and UX1 comes with Ableton Live Lite Line 6 Edition 8-track recording software. The pod does not come with recording software.

The only thing the Pod will get you over the GX or UX1 is that you can run it into an amp.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Feb 27, 2012,