My band is gonna make a cover of a Metallica song, we want to upload the song to reverbnation. But we need the rights or permission from the band (Metallica in this case).
So who do I contact? and HOW do I contact? :S

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

Thanks,
Quote by Captaincranky
This sticky should answer most, if not all of your questions: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053221

Thanks, answered most of my questions. But it says I have to pay for each copy right? What if I am just making it available for sale through the internet as a MP3 download? << Not CD or anything.

EDIT: And who is the publisher for that album? :S
Last edited by MaddMann274 at Feb 25, 2012,
https://www.cmrra.ca/song%20lookup/song.nsf/cbb705d4b1b1516b852566ab006720c9/1dce9431b92a436c852579470047886d?OpenDocument
Maybe try looking up the song you want to license, for example in the case of "Enter Sandman" the publisher to contact would be "Creeping Death Music" which is basically Metallica.

You could also contact a musical rights agency in your jurisdiction to find out more accurate information than you will get on a guitar forum.
Quote by MaddMann274
Thanks, answered most of my questions. But it says I have to pay for each copy right? What if I am just making it available for sale through the internet as a MP3 download? << Not CD or anything.

Yes, you still have to pay.

As for the publisher question, google is your friend here.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The organization to contact is your mechanical rights association. They may well be able to put you in touch with their publisher, and will be able to tell you how downloads work.

As I understand it, though, is that the song needs to be hosted on a "disinterested third party" that can track downloads honestly and reliably. You use their numbers as provided by them to determine how much it will cost you. The problem, though, I believe, is that it requires a certain amount of crystal-ball gazing.

I actually looked into this about a year ago, as I was in a Green Day tribute band, and we wanted to do things properly. There is no mechanism in Canada yet for this sort of thing, believe it or not, but at that time, they told me that they were "working on it, and would hopefully have things resolved soon."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Ah, I understand now.

Quote by AlanHB
As for the publisher question, google is your friend here.

Is Publisher the same thing as Label?