I was looking into a new guitar to better fit my band's sound (The Devil Wears Prada/Woe is Me/lolol whattadouche/drop B) because one of my current ones (Les Paul) doesn't entirely pull off the sound, so I've been searching through numerous Schecters and LTD's. It's coming down to Ltd EC401, LTD EC1000 or some Schecter. But I need to know the difference between the EC 401 and 1000? Because there's a good $200 price difference and if it's worth it, I'll gladly pay. And while I'm at it, I could also take some guitar suggestions in case I'm just missing something
There are a lot of variances, and a crapload of different EC40X and EC100X's out there. Do you have links for the specific ones you're looking at?

Generally, with a 1000, what the extra cost is actually going toward is better hardware, and generally better QC (1000's are made in Korea, everything else made in China/Vietnam now).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i have owned three variants EC1000 is best option. the 400 would be next, the 401 are not nearly as nice as the 400 was.

the only thing about most EC1000 is all of that excessive abalone. but not all have it. the 1000 had better hardware at the time. the 400 was more the necessary if you don't want to pay for the 1000, 400's are much nicer than 401's.

401<400<1000
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Offworld92
There are a lot of variances, and a crapload of different EC40X and EC100X's out there. Do you have links for the specific ones you're looking at?

Generally, with a 1000, what the extra cost is actually going toward is better hardware, and generally better QC (1000's are made in Korea, everything else made in China/Vietnam now).

This isn't true as far as i know. The 401's are made in Korea i think.

The only differences between them is that the 1000 has locking tuners (the 401 has Grovers), a locking bridge and a bit of abalone bling. Other than that, they guitars are effectively the same.

Edit: i stand corrected. It is Indonesian built. But still, even if QC isn't supposedly as good, a good 401 is just as good as a 1000 playability-wise. So £200 extra for some locking tuners, a locking bridge and some abalone is ludicrously overpriced.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 25, 2012,
What's your amp?
What kind of Les Paul is it?
What are your pickups?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
What's your amp?
What kind of Les Paul is it?
What are your pickups?

A marshall mg100whatever fx. I'm not intending on buying a new amp, I just bought this one.
It's a 96 Les Paul studio, factory pickups. It just can't handle drop tunings at all.

For anyone that needed a link to the 401 and 1000:

Esp Ltd EC 401

and

Esp Ltd Ec1000

I realized I can probably find a used 1000 for around the same price as a 401, so yeah...
Your amp and probably your guitar's setup is the biggest problem I see there to be honest.
What do you even mean by "it can't handle drop tunings"?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Inb4 "new amp!" x 1000, which I agree with.

Edit: so close...
Quote by JesusCrisp
Your amp and probably your guitar's setup is the biggest problem I see there to be honest.
What do you even mean by "it can't handle drop tunings"?

The amp sounds fine. And the shows I've played bands with better amps just let everyone use them, so I'm not concerned with my amp.
Can't handle drop tunings as in the strings are like on the fretboard even in drop C which is all I really need it for. I know this is a setup problem, but I also just don't like the feel of the les paul, it's too heavy and the neck is awkward for my small hands.