I feel like there isn't enough hate and anger in the pit, so I'm going to pose a question to you all. Do you think people should have to learn how to use a computer properly before they're allowed to use them? Do you also think people should know how to maintain a car before they can own one?

EDIT: By "use a computer properly" I mean that they should familiarize themselves with basic terminology, and understand concepts like "web browser" and "shortcut" etc. so that they can at least understand that you get the same internet through IE and Chrome, and that copying a shortcut to a new computer wont give you that program.
Last edited by reidhasguitar at Feb 25, 2012,
How would this work? Would you have to get lessons and a license, like with driving?

EDIT: Clearly not. This is a terrible idea.
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 25, 2012,
yeah definitely for the car

define "use computer properly" - to me that means not being stupid and downloading viruses and stuff, and generally not being a moron

But I wouldn't prevent morons from using computers cuz it's funny
cat
You mean like a license?
Licenses are for things that can be harmful for others and ones self if they do not know how to use them. Bad drivers cause accidents, people who can't handle guns properly can kill others and/or themselves, boating accidents can create a lot of destruction etc.
In regards to the computer statement:
If you mean just lessons, then there's no real point to that either since the vast majority of us taught ourselves. You'll have idiots with or without lessons. You'll have people who are complete idiots about everything imaginable. There's no reason why we should try to change this because it's impossible to do, especially in a world and point in time where some people can't even eat or drink properly anymore without killing themselves accidentally (do they need eating lessons too?).
Last edited by Pagan_Poetry at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by FireHawk
if people want to waste their money...let them...

Gotta agree with this.

If, however, while trying to fix it (read: get somebody to fix it) they become annoying bitches and act like they know everything (when they don't, obviously), then yeah, I'd say they need to get a freaking license before they can own one.
Would you have to blow a breathalyzer to use it?

"I got a DUI last night"

"But... weren't you just at home?"

"Yeah, drunk usage of internet"

Quote by ChrisBW
Would you have to blow a breathalyzer to use it?

"I got a DUI last night"

"But... weren't you just at home?"

"Yeah, drunk usage of internet"

They would have cops shows for this probably.

"This is the third time kevin has had his internet license suspended..."
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
No, but I think unfunny people shouldn't start threads.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
Quote by reidhasguitar
I feel like there isn't enough hate and anger in the pit, so I'm going to pose a question to you all. Do you think people should have to learn how to use a computer properly before they're allowed to use them? Do you also think people should know how to maintain a car before they can own one?

EDIT: By "use a computer properly" I mean that they should familiarize themselves with basic terminology, and understand concepts like "web browser" and "shortcut" etc. so that they can at least understand that you get the same internet through IE and Chrome, and that copying a shortcut to a new computer wont give you that program.

This is a stupid thread. No, i don't think people should "have to" (what does this even mean, do you want to force them to take a class or something?) know how to maintain a car before owning one or learn how to use a computer properly.
I'm in the IT business. Stupid people with computers make me a lot of money.

So I'm absolutely against it.
Quote by jugglingfreak
I'm in the IT business. Stupid people with computers make me a lot of money.

So I'm absolutely against it.

Came here to post this ^

And also, this

BLANKBLANK
I was thinking this today, the number of people who (according to Flickr stats) stumble across my photos from some clumsily misspelt and irrelevant keywords is really surprising.

How bad at the internet do you have to be to be derping along doing a Yahoo-image-search of 'stoers in finn lnad", see an image which has NOTHING to do with what you wanted to look at, but then click through to it anyway?

All publicity is good publicity I suppose
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I was thinking this today, the number of people who (according to Flickr stats) stumble across my photos from some clumsily misspelt and irrelevant keywords is really surprising.

How bad at the internet do you have to be to be derping along doing a Yahoo-image-search of 'stoers in finn lnad", see an image which has NOTHING to do with what you wanted to look at, but then click through to it anyway?

All publicity is good publicity I suppose

Atleast people look at your photos

I got 3 views from my latest batch.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Atleast people look at your photos

I got 3 views from my latest batch.

You're posting on Flickr again?!

Well shit, I must have missed that.

And yeah to be honest most of mine average about 3 as well. I have about 4 really random, mostly shit, photos that have about 400 views each. One is of a packet of antibiotics. Wtf internet
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

And yeah to be honest most of mine average about 3 as well. I have about 4 really random, mostly shit, photos that have about 400 views each. One is of a packet of antibiotics. Wtf internet

Why do you have a picture of antibiotics on your Flickr?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Just uploaded 4 photos from brazil. I think you must've seen them on FB. I thought they were great, apparently not

Yeah I've come to despise flickr more and more, the photos I really like have no comments or views, and the photos I like less gets lots of attention. Wtf internet.
Quote by reidhasguitar
Why do you have a picture of antibiotics on your Flickr?

I did project 365 last year, where you take a picture every single day for a year. Some days were less inspired than others

To be fair, I did make the title a Matrix reference... http://flic.kr/p/9kkd1d

Quote by Kensai
Just uploaded 4 photos from brazil. I think you must've seen them on FB. I thought they were great, apparently not

Yeah I've come to despise flickr more and more, the photos I really like have no comments or views, and the photos I like less gets lots of attention. Wtf internet.

I really like them. Left some flickr comments. Did you use a tobacco filter for some? I know you were talking about that before.

I've added a load of contacts now so most pictures from people I actually know get lost in the noise of flickr whores posting their "HAY GUIZE CHECK OUT THIS BOKEH" like 7 times a day

But yeah it does annoy me how shit photographers get on explore so easily. I love your B&W stuff but on closer inspection you got loads of comments when you posted them, which is more than I ever get
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I did project 365 last year, where you take a picture every single day for a year. Some days were less inspired than others

To be fair, I did make the title a Matrix reference... http://flic.kr/p/9kkd1d

Now I'm stalking you.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Please don't

You have a cat called Fudge?

"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I really like them. Left some flickr comments. Did you use a tobacco filter for some? I know you were talking about that before.

I've added a load of contacts now so most pictures from people I actually know get lost in the noise of flickr whores posting their "HAY GUIZE CHECK OUT THIS BOKEH" like 7 times a day

But yeah it does annoy me how shit photographers get on explore so easily. I love your B&W stuff but on closer inspection you got loads of comments when you posted them, which is more than I ever get

I used gradient tobacco filters a few years back. Was fun, but I prefer adding it afterwards, which I've done with several of the new photos.

I think the explore pictures are quite formulaic. Like you've got the standard pics every day. I like them, but I also prefer variation. I think it doesn't allow for much groundbreaking if one's interest is to end up on explore.

You should take more shallow DOF pics in pretty english towns. I insist
Quote by Kensai
I used gradient tobacco filters a few years back. Was fun, but I prefer adding it afterwards, which I've done with several of the new photos.

I think the explore pictures are quite formulaic. Like you've got the standard pics every day. I like them, but I also prefer variation. I think it doesn't allow for much groundbreaking if one's interest is to end up on explore.

You should take more shallow DOF pics in pretty english towns. I insist

Well I might be going to a pretty town tomorrow, so maybe I will, if you insist

I only have 200 speed film though so I might have to get some 400, it's probably too cloudy for 200...

Oh, and 23 clickthroughs from UG cos of that link

Creepy.

Oh someone also linked a picture of me drinking from a cup to UG then subsequently deleted the post, which is excellent
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Feb 25, 2012,