Hi,

I've been using Cubase SX-3, Pod Studio UX-2 and EzDrummer for a few years now and basically with the same settings: 256 buffer 24 bit depth and 44,1 kHz 24 bit (at the very beginning I had 512 buffer 16 bit depth and 44,1 kHz 16 bit cause I thought that my computer can't handle better, but it could, so I changed it) and everything has always worked fine. Though about one month ago I decided to change Cubase SX-3 for Cubase 5 and also start using Superior Drummer 2.0, and it's also worked fine for about 2 weeks. Through all that time I had 2 GB of Ram memory, and sure I couldn't use Cubase, Superior and Pod Farm at the same time, cause it was too much, but I could use EzDrummer instead of Superior and then after recording everything I could close Pod Farm, load Superior and work with no problem. Until one day when latency problem just started.

I decided to buy a new setup of ram memories, now I've got 3 GB, my OS is more stable, cause last memories weren't supported by my motherboard, so that's the only good thing in all of that, but the problem remains. I can use Cubase 5 with dozen audio tracks and fully loaded Superior with setting I've written above, but when I open just one track in Cubase with no VST and then I open Pod Farm, latency problem starts, there are noises, cracks, etc. When I setup 1024 buffer 16 bit and 44,1 kHz 16 bit it gets better but I've got latency 30 ms at input and 60 ms at output, and I don't understand why, when with old settings I've got 9 ms at input and 18 at output, and everything works well till I open Pod Farm.

So, I decided to reinstall my OS, btw. I've done it a couple of time in last few days, I install everything once again and it's still the same, so I decided to go back to Cubase SX-3, still the same. I even decided to change DAW for Cakewalk Sonar 8 and it's the same. I've got the newest drivers and software versions, so I installed the oldest drivers I've got, since they worked fine in the past, I downloaded the oldest Pod Farm 2 which is on Line6's website and it's the same. With every try I reinstall my OS and all software of course. Nothing helps.

If it matters my hardware is:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+

MSI K9N Neo-f 550

Corsair DDR2 800 MHz XMS2 5-5-5-12: 2 x 1 GB and 2 x 512 MB

2 HDDs: first SATA where whole software is installed, including OS and second ATA just for some files, though for most of the time I kept my projects on it and it used to work fine, putting everything on one HDD was just attempt of fixing the issue.

Virtual memory: now 4606 MB (I tried with 2048 MB and 4606 - 6654 MB, and even 6144 - 9212 MB, it didn't help, but to be honest I didn't expect to much)

(I'm writing it just to avoid such advices)

My computer is setup correctly, the way I aways set it up, BIOS is also setup like it should be, so there's no problem with ram, besides I tested it with Memtest 86 a couple of times, I can't OC it, because of my motherboard, at least not too much and it changes nothing.

I changed ASIO drivers for ASIO4ALL and still it didn't help, latency is like 30 something ms.

Can anyone tell WTF is wrong here? What to do? I already reinstalled OS more times than I usually do it in 2-3 years.
I'm not familiar operationally with this specific software , but ....

What else is going on with your system?

What is task manager telling you about memory use / paging and CPU utlilisation?
Did you try a 128 buffer and what happened?
Does it change the routing path?

I don't think reinstalling your OS will help unless there is somethign else in play such as virus which it would appear not if you've done a clean install.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by daninmanchester
I'm not familiar operationally with this specific software , but ....

What else is going on with your system?

What is task manager telling you about memory use / paging and CPU utlilisation?
Did you try a 128 buffer and what happened?
Does it change the routing path?

I don't think reinstalling your OS will help unless there is somethign else in play such as virus which it would appear not if you've done a clean install.

When I opened those programs, system used about 1,5 GB of memory and CPU usage was something like 50%.

I tried 128 buffer and it was even worse, but the funny thing is I installed Widows XP x64 and Cubase 5 (which uses more memory) with other programs, fully loaded, worked almost fine with settings: 256 buffer 24 bit, 44,1 kHz 24 bit, I had then 8 ms latency on input and 16 ms on output, only a few cracks appeared, but when I decreased CPU usage a bit, latency increased to 9 ms/18 ms, but there was no problem with cracking anymore, and such latency isn't an issue for me.

But I decided to install Windows 7 x64 to check it, and now everything is great. I use 128 buffer 32 bit, 44,1 kHz 24 bit and the system just don't want to crack, like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yteSz71leN4 though I haven't checked this with the games. Generally my only problem is how to change sample rate to 48 kHz, because when I try to change it, this option in Line 6 Audio-Midi Devices looks a little bit different, there's a button which drives me to Windows audio setup, I change sample rate to 48 kHz 24 bit, but then Cubase shows just 44,1 kHz 24 bit. I can live with that but still...

I know that x64 OS has different architecture, it manages memory better and generally it's newer, but I still don't understand why I had that problems, when it worked for years.
Last edited by Michael87 at Mar 6, 2012,