Im just wondering, and when I mean professional I mean you make your living off of playing guitar (whether its in a band, teaching, etc.)
i would love to and ill certainly try to but i cant allow myself to let it get in the way of studies and a job cos the chances that ill make it are just way to low.

itd be cool to do what rob chappers does though.
i would love to and ill certainly try to but i cant allow myself to let it get in the way of studies and a job cos the chances that ill make it are just way to low.

same with me ! chances are really low. i think you can make some money with teaching or youtube but its hard to make your living off that !
btw: rob chappers is really great.
I make enough to get through the weekend. My real job pays for the rest.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'd like to be, but I hate anything that may involves travelling and the chances of success being low.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I'm going to try to at least supplement my income with playing guitar, be it teaching or in a band.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
For me it's purely a hobby. I'm studying to become an engineer.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I note that there's a number of people 18 and over saying they'd like to be pro.

What have you done so far to achieve this goal? Schools over so you should have the time to make some steps.
Soundcloud
i've only been playing for about a year and a half but I love playing. I pretty much practice everyday cause my grades are all at least A's without even that much effort, so I have lots of time. I'd definitely give it a shot, but I will always have something to fall back and it always helps to be able to get into a good university
I'm in high school and I do play in a band, but we plan on breaking up the band later this year as we'll be heading off to college and stuff. I'll probably join up in a new band there and make some extra cash doing so. Would it be nice to earn a living playing in a band? yes, but I'm not putting all my hopes on that.

So for me, it's like a serious hobby that I hopefully can use as a side job.
Nope. My future job is going to earn far more than anything I could do musically. My music is just a hobby of mine.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
immma gonna try. **** being smart, i just wanna play it loud.

EDIT:

Quote by AlanHB
I note that there's a number of people 18 and over saying they'd like to be pro.

What have you done so far to achieve this goal? Schools over so you should have the time to make some steps.

Im already playin live heaps, currently recording a couple of tracks, Talking to the biggest blues indie label in australia.

being pro doesnt mean being famous, it just means being professional at what you do.. with that being siad I do want to make a living out of my music.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Last edited by rocknroll93 at Feb 26, 2012,
No matter what I do I try to be the best at it.

I want to be legendary.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Definitely a musician part- or full-time, piano or guitar. Right now studying business/marketing to get my second degree so I can get into a music educator or a musician programme I want.

And i hate fkking business and marketing!
Quote by rocknroll93
being pro doesnt mean being famous, it just means being professional at what you do.. with that being siad I do want to make a living out of my music.

Pretty sure pro = makes primary income from.

So I have a job, that's where the majority of my money comes from. I'm a professional at that job.

And I also play guitar, and whilst I do make an income from it (say $5-$6 grand/year), it's not enough to live on. That's secondary income (or weekend money).

So I don't regard myself as a "pro guitarist". It sure is fun though and I make some cash doing it.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Pretty sure pro = makes primary income from.

So I have a job, that's where the majority of my money comes from. I'm a professional at that job.

And I also play guitar, and whilst I do make an income from it (say $5-$6 grand/year), it's not enough to live on. That's secondary income (or weekend money).

So I don't regard myself as a "pro guitarist". It sure is fun though and I make some cash doing it.

alan...if your making ANY $ from music...your professional..being "successful" is another matter

wolf
Quote by wolflen
alan...if your making ANY $ from music...your professional..being "successful" is another matter

wolf

Nope. Because guitar playing is not his profession, it's a side job.
I am composing songs for an album and I will probably try to release it by myself on the net when it's finished one day. I do not expect to become pro but I still perceive music as the most important part of my life.
this is such a grey area, there are people in school who don't make "pro" status, to be a pro is to be able to be put in any setting and knowing what to do. they are the ones that get the phone call before anyone else. and the only way you get there is by meeting people and being a good reliable person, you don't even have to be the best player. i think the best kind of gtr player is one that doesn't have their heads up their ass, they don't think anything is beneath them, whether they have to play "Donna Lee" clicked at 260+ or strum Tom Petty tunes for an audience of two, it doesn't matter, they will enjoy it either way, because it's what they do, it's what they love
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Last edited by gerraguitar at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by gerraguitar
this is such a grey area, there are people in school who don't make "pro" status, to be a pro is to be able to be put in any setting and knowing what to. they are the ones that get the phone call before anyone else. and the only way you get there is by meeting people and being a good reliable person, you don't even have to be the best player. i think the best kind of gtr player is one that doesn't have their heads up their ass, they don't think anything is beneath them, whether they have to play "Donna Lee" clicked at 260+ or strum Tom Petty tunes for an audience of two, it doesn't matter, they will enjoy it either way, because it's what they do, it's what they love

I agree mostly except for the enjoying part!
Believe me, there is a time when you certainly do not enjoy playing stuff!
Quote by Matt.Guitar

yeah i'll agree with that too, sometimes the real book just turns into a big blob of black mess that your shrink asks you what you think it looks like
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by Matt.Guitar

I didn't know the song you mentionned in your other post so I went on youtube and ouch ! You deserve you paycheck...
I just wanted to respond to the thread title by saying i joined this site to get worse. I mean, anyone can practice and get better but it takes someone special to want to suck at music.
I definatley want to be a pro. I can't stand school so I don't focus much on it and I'm not really good for much else. It took me ages (okay, a year and a half) to form a good commited band and so far there seems to be an awesome spark in it that we all want to continue exploring. My idea of success is just to be able to make a living and be able to eat and live somewhere. Money isn't my main concern. I don't have any hobbies or outside interests unless you count the occasional movie trip and I'm happy with my current rig.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>