ok, ive been in the process of buying a new amp lately and ive closed down to three different amps:

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange Thunder 30 Combo
Blackstar HT Club 40 Head

now, obviously, one of the orange amps is ideal but i case i cannot afford it would the blackstar be sufficient?
the versatility of the blackstar appeals to me but id rather an orange amp just cos of that straight up, awesome rock n roll vibe and tone that it gives and it sounds so great.
also, what is the difference between the thunder 30 and the rocker 30? which one has more gain on tap? what would you recommend?

i play EVERYTHING from blues to hard rock to metal. i mean everything. blues rock, alt rock, funk, classic rock, hard rock, thrash metal, heavy metal.

i really want a great rock n roll distortion for example slash rythm tone or richie sambora's (bon jovi) and i also really like randy rhoads tone.

as for cleans, i want it to be great for funk and blues and alt rock and i really like john frusicantes clean tone and eric claptons "ap pushed into overdrive tone.

i am using a les paul with BKPs and a Strat with BKPs.

also, im probably gonna get a harley benton vintage 30 cab bbut i want to know if theres anything better in the price range.
You might be a little better suited for a JCM800 with the tones you want. But the Oranges are awesome. I would go with the Rocker over the Thunder just because I think it's going to get you closer to the tone you want (iirc). I've never tried the blackstar amps but they get a lot of love on here. Pretty sure they're a British voiced amp, so that might actually be a really good option. I would definitely try it out and see what you think.
i wish. i just found a great deal on a used rocker 30 just when i thought i was gonna buy a blackstar.
Of those, the Thunder 30 has the most gain on tap. It's also more of a modern voicing than most Oranges, and a nice feature is you can switch its wattage down to 7 watts. Aside from the voicing differences, the EQ sections are different; the Thunder has Volume, Gain, and "shape" on the distortion channel, and Treble, Bass, and Volume on the clean channel. The Rocker 30 has Volume, Hi, Mid, Low, and Gain on the distortion channel, but only a volume control on the clean channel. I also don't think the Rocker has wattage switching. The differences between the two are such that you might not like one at all, but for what you listed the Rocker will probably look better.

Of course, as much as it pains me, you might actually be happy with a JCM800 and some sort of boost.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
Of those, the Thunder 30 has the most gain on tap. It's also more of a modern voicing than most Oranges, and a nice feature is you can switch its wattage down to 7 watts. Aside from the voicing differences, the EQ sections are different; the Thunder has Volume, Gain, and "shape" on the distortion channel, and Treble, Bass, and Volume on the clean channel. The Rocker 30 has Volume, Hi, Mid, Low, and Gain on the distortion channel, but only a volume control on the clean channel. I also don't think the Rocker has wattage switching. The differences between the two are such that you might not like one at all, but for what you listed the Rocker will probably look better.

Of course, as much as it pains me, you might actually be happy with a JCM800 and some sort of boost.

The Marshall amps here are way overpriced aswell as the used ones.
Why does recommending one pain you?
I recommend you try them out. Recently i bought myself an orange dark terror with a matching 1x12 cab. Initially i was so set on a blackstar ht5, but i tried them both out, and i initially thought the ht5 was great, but after playing the dark terror, it shat all over the blackstar.

Point i'm getting at is you should definitely try things out before you buy them.
Either of these amps might do it for you, though I like the two Oranges better. They do stuff along the lines of G'n'R and Rhoads better than the HT40, and I much prefer them all around, even if the HT40 has more gain on tap.

There are many amps out there that are basically variations of the JCM800 circuit(s), like the Peavey Butcher and VTM or Laney GH and VH-series. Look those up and see if you can find one for a good price. Alternatively, the Oranges will do in a pinch.
Thanks guys. One question- does the orange rocker have an FX Loop and is it foot switchable?
It hurts me because a.) I love Oranges and b.) I bought a Marshall (JCM2000) when I really wanted an Orange, and even though I loved the amp, I wasn't completely happy, and it ended up costing me in the long run. I don't want to see something similar happen.

The Rocker doesn't have an effects loop, but you can use a footswitch for the channels.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by TheQuailman
It's got a loop. Dunno if it's footswitchable, but that can always be ammended with an A/B-pedal and a couple extra cables.

How? There's only one input. I'm talking about the rocker 30 not the marshall.
Also, will 30 watts be enough for gigs?
Quote by Pink Muse
It hurts me because a.) I love Oranges and b.) I bought a Marshall (JCM2000) when I really wanted an Orange, and even though I loved the amp, I wasn't completely happy, and it ended up costing me in the long run. I don't want to see something similar happen.

The Rocker doesn't have an effects loop, but you can use a footswitch for the channels.

Oh. Well an effects loop quite important cos I use delay and a looper and reverb and all sorts of modulation effects. Is there any way around this problem or will I have to settle for the blackstar?
Quote by itamar100
Oh. Well an effects loop quite important cos I use delay and a looper and reverb and all sorts of modulation effects. Is there any way around this problem or will I have to settle for the blackstar?

What's your chain?

Use boosts/fuzz/OD, wah, etc. in front of a noise gate, and then flanger/delay/chorus between the gate and the amp. That's how I do it.

Edit: 30 watts with an Orange is more than enough for gigging up to a medium-sized venue unmic'd. Mic'd up and wattage doesn't really matter.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Last edited by Pink Muse at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by itamar100
How? There's only one input. I'm talking about the rocker 30 not the marshall.
Also, will 30 watts be enough for gigs?

I'm talking about the Thunder. Dunno about the Rocker.

If something's got a loop, you can plug the loop-out into an A/B-pedal. The pedal's first output is then connected to your pedals, it's second output is joined with your last pedal's output through a Y-cable, which is then plugged into the amp's loop-return. Visualize it and it should be clear how it works.
Quote by Pink Muse
What's your chain?

Use boosts/fuzz/OD, wah, etc. in front of a noise gate, and then flanger/delay/chorus between the gate and the amp. That's how I do it.

Edit: 30 watts with an Orange is more than enough for gigging up to a medium-sized venue unmic'd. Mic'd up and wattage doesn't really matter.

I don't have any distortion pedals in my chain but I may get a digitech bad monkey. I currently have a chorus, delay, reverb, looper and phaser. The main problem is using the looper in front of the amps natural distortion cos I like to improv over a clean backing track using distortion but without an fx loop the amp distortion would distort the loop.
Quote by itamar100
I don't have any distortion pedals in my chain but I may get a digitech bad monkey. I currently have a chorus, delay, reverb, looper and phaser. The main problem is using the looper in front of the amps natural distortion cos I like to improv over a clean backing track using distortion but without an fx loop the amp distortion would distort the loop.

Ahh, fair enough. I don't have much experience with loopers, sorry. A quick Google search has a bunch of mods for adding a loop to a Rocker 30. I'm also pretty sure the JCM800 doesn't have a loop, though.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by Pink Muse
Ahh, fair enough. I don't have much experience with loopers, sorry. A quick Google search has a bunch of mods for adding a loop to a Rocker 30. I'm also pretty sure the JCM800 doesn't have a loop, though.

Ok, thanks.
I'll take a look, but I'll keep the thunder and Blackheart in mind.