Greetings bass forum, I have a bit of an issue in bass amps (and finding bass amps) in general. It seems wherever I look, bass amps, especially higher end ones, have about as many knobs as a mixer board, and more features than I'd ever need.
I'm talking about amps of this sort:
This is rather unfortunate since I don't like spending money on things that are mostly useless to me. I have no grudges to people who use these types of amps, but I'd rather not myself.
The things I need in a bass amp are the following:
Input (2 for active/passive wouldn't hurt)
Volume
EQ (Standard bass-mid-treble or a graphic slider type)
And that's it. Are there amps like this on the market today?
REGGIE
Quote by Jesus_Dean
Go shopping!

http://www.thomann.de/se/search_dir.html?gk=gibahe&bn=&sw=&oa=pra

That's a high-end SWR! You can guide the space shuttle with that thing. Look for something a little simpler (and generally cheaper).

Indeed it is, hyperbole from my side to illustrate a point.
Also, thanks y'all for the suggestions.
REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at Feb 25, 2012,
There's plenty to check out really. It depends what sort of tone you're after, and what price range you're looking in. Most of the micro-amps on the market have fairly stripped down controls (although avoid the TC Electronics heads, they're all bells and whistles... jack of all trades, master of none). I use a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, which (imo) is a fantastic little amp. Chucks out 600 watts, but weighs a measly ~3lbs and fits into a bag you can shove over your shoulder and forget about. Has your basic gain/volume in the tube preamp section, bass/mid/treble knobs, a knob to adjust the mid frequency, and three small fairly useful buttons for low boost/mid cut/high boost.
A few examples:
- GK MB500
- Markbass Little Mark III, Tube 800, or F1
- Genz Benz Streamliner or Shuttle series (not the ShuttleMAX though, its the king of complicated controls)
- Hartke LH's
- Ampeg SVT CL or SVT VR
- Aguilar Tone Hammer 500
- Eden WT550

It all depends on how much you want to spend, and there's more out there then just that.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
SWR Workingman 4004
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette