I've been looking at these two amps, I've only been able to play the Egnater and I could get to the push I needed for the distortion though a pedal. Now, I haven't played a Blackstar and no one around here has one. A lot of metal heads are praising these amps but I never play metal. I'm a bedroom rocker who does a few shows and my style is pretty generic hardcore to pop/punk to indie to blues.

So would the Blackstar be okay to a non metal player? I'm looking for a nice punchy distortion but without the metal hangover sound. (Think of New Found Glory type punch).

It's that or waste a tone of money on the mesa mini rec. that thing is what I need but 999 for that thing is RIDICULOUS!

If you guys can comment on these or maybe propose other ones. My price range is NO MORE than 1000 and that is only if it's the best deal in the world!

I'll also need to be getting a cab as well. I'm downsizing. So 1x10 or 1x12
Line6 DT50 212<br>
Line6 Pod HD500<br>
Fender Telecaster JA-90<br>
Fender Telecaster 79 custom<br>
I've got the combo version of the Blackstar and I really like it. I'm not much of a metal player either, I mostly play classic/hard rock or sometimes a bit of punk a la Rise Against. I would say it's great for that kind of music with the appropriate guitar. I hear only good things about the Egnaters, but I don't have any personal experience with them
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
I used to have a HT-5, and it is fine for lighter stuff. I haven't tried out the Rebel yet, so I can't compare.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
the Marshall Class 5 is intriguing. I bet if I hook a few pedals up to that baby I might get that punchy tone I'm looking for for harder hitting pop punk
Line6 DT50 212<br>
Line6 Pod HD500<br>
For $1000 you could get a real (non mini) recto... Just sayin'.

Or a renegade. IMO the renegade is one of the best amps on the market if you're not into metal at all. That amp really excels at everything from squeaky clean all the way up to hard rock. I mean, it has enough gain available to do metal, but it's not where that amp really shines.

Or a Jet City JCA100. Haven't played one yet, but after the clips I've seen I really want to test one out.

With a $1000 budget there's a lot of great amps if you don't mind going used. Definitely better choices in that budget than the rebel 30 or HT20.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I have a blackstar stage 60 and it'd work perfect for a new found glory type tone. Personally I think they work better for Rock than for Metal.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
1000 is my max and that would include a cab, also I'd like it to be able to do bedroom levels well because I live in an apartment right now but I don't want to crutch myself now and need a bigger amp when I get my house. I was also looking at he Hughes and Kettner Tube Meister 18. I like its power soak feature plus full 18 watts with a 2x12 or a 4x10 cab would be plenty loud for any venues. Plus if I'm miced up it doesn't matter the wattage.

Plus the gain on this thing sounds like that I need and if it isn't a little distortion pedal could do the trick.

I also don't have room for a full sized recto. Also the bedroom levels on those things ate terrible (I wouldn't expect them to be good it's a 100 watt head)

Thanks for the feedback guys
Line6 DT50 212<br>
Line6 Pod HD500<br>
Let's ignore wattage for a minute. A 100W amp and a 15W amp will sound very similar at bedroom volume. The reason people say amps don't sound as good is partially because the speakers aren't moving enough air. And that will not change no matter what amp you're playing. Most amps DO sound better at elevated volumes, and they have a certain "sweet spot" on the volume, but plenty of big amps sound pretty awesome at bedroom volumes. You just have to EQ it different.

Most modern amps get nearly all of their gain from the preamp, and just will not have any power section breakup unless you've got it LOUD. An 18W amp that's turned up enough to get powertube breakup will be deafening in a bedroom. The Marshall Class 5 is only 5 watts, and if you turn it up enough to get a nice crunch, even THAT is too loud for an apartment. You just want an amp with a good preamp, and enough wattage to play gigs when needed.

you could drop $400 on an avatar 212 cab, and that leaves you $600 for a head. You could almost certainly find a used JSX/XXX/Ultra for that. Great amps. Would be able to handle some thrashy / punky stuff no prob. Or maybe a JCM-800... not sure what those are going for, but check CL and see what's out there.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I just checked CL and heads are starting at around 1160 my area and on eBay they are the same plus shipping.

I'm going to demo the tubemeister 18 today

And I know most people ate snobs towards solid states but I heard great things about the tech 21 amps and honestly for the price I'll save the rest until I get a house and sound proof it to get a bigger amp. Unless anyone has had issues with the tech 21 amps?
Line6 DT50 212<br>
Line6 Pod HD500<br>