Hi,

I'm just finishing a degree in music production, and as part of a research project I need to perform some listening tests. I've put a test online, and I'm hoping that some of you might take a little time to complete it.

It shouldn't take long to complete. My project is focussed on guitar amp simulation, and the test mainly involves identifying the 'real' amps from the amp sims in a series of recordings. Some of them are really obvious, some of them a lot harder to find!

Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes some time out to give me a hand.

Here's the link to the test: Link

Cheers, Fraser.

p.s. - I can't see why this would be against forum rules, but just in case it is please let me know and I'll take it down.
Done man. One or two of them were pretty challenging indeed.
Teh Gear

333XL + Orange 2x12 Open Back Cab
- MXR Micro Chorus
>Memory Boy
> MXR Carbon Copy
>Q-Tron +
Into effects loop
- Bad Monkey> Boss TU 3 In front of amp
- BC Rich Exotic Mockingbird
Not sure if it was a good test or not... on the majority of the tracks, it could have been that both were amps with different EQ settings...

Hope it helps..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Done. Would be interesting to see the correct answers
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
I've got to say...I like the idea,

but most of the tones were pretty bad and made it hard to distinguish. A good overdriven tube amp mic'd ... its instantly recognizably better than a distorted amp sim...but all the distorted samples in this sounded like a beehive.
Last edited by chronowarp at Feb 25, 2012,
Thanks for all the responses so far guys!

Quote by chronowarp
I've got to say...I like the idea,

but most of the tones were pretty bad and made it hard to distinguish. A good overdriven tube amp mic'd ... its instantly recognizably better than a distorted amp sim...but all the distorted samples in this sounded like a beehive.

Yes, that's a very valid point. I'm trying to keep myself well clear of the 'tubes versus solid state' debate though - this is a comparison of actual physical amps against software sims, which many see as a compromise in recording situations.

Quote by Any7423
Done. Would be interesting to see the correct answers

I expect I'll put the answers up when I've finished running the test.