Hey guys,

so recently I settled down in this room. well it's not that bad but I'm getting hum here. loud hum! Idk what really causes it. I'm using a Fuzz with true bypass, a Morley wah, an overdrive with true bypass and RP355 with headphones. in a respective order. well I get this buzz, I get the buzz even if I plug straight to RP, or thru the other pedals. If I turn on my OD the hum gets louder I'm thinking it might either be the wiring in the room (but Im running from one wall wart and I dont have AC cables intersecting with audio cables). I have fluorescent lights here but i've tried turning them off and they give 0 difference, also computer gives 0 difference. Hmm Im using 1 spot for the pedals except RP. The cables are alright. I'm thinking it might either be my Guitar either RP355's power supply. It's runing thru a 220v to 110v adapter cause it's 110v and voltage here is 220v

also when I roll down the guitar volume the buzz/humm gets louder, oh also if I turn on my OD and trn down my guitar's volume to 0 I still hear some hum

help troubleshooting guys, I've used this setup before with way less noise!
Do you get the noise even if you plug straight into your amp? If so, try moving the amp, or slightly rotating it off-axis. I have the same problem here. Turning my amps slightly is enough to get rid of the hum.

Edit: Also, make sure everything is plugged into the same AC outlet. Ground loops can occur when you start plugging things into different outlets.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by KG6_Steven
Do you get the noise even if you plug straight into your amp? If so, try moving the amp, or slightly rotating it off-axis. I have the same problem here. Turning my amps slightly is enough to get rid of the hum.

Edit: Also, make sure everything is plugged into the same AC outlet. Ground loops can occur when you start plugging things into different outlets.

thanks for the reply, as I said I'm running it off the same outlet and well I dont use an amp. I'm using headphones :p
Well, then it sounds like you have a ground issue. Have you checked your guitar to verify all connections are good? Do you have another guitar you can try?
just pop the cover off the back and make sure the wire soldered to the sustain block hasn't come loose. That's the easiest fix if it's a ground issue. Only takes removing like 6 screws to check it, and 2 minutes to re-solder it if that's the culprit.

EDIT: Does it change when you touch the strings? that's a dead giveaway of a grounding issue with the guitar.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by jpatan
just pop the cover off the back and make sure the wire soldered to the sustain block hasn't come loose. That's the easiest fix if it's a ground issue. Only takes removing like 6 screws to check it, and 2 minutes to re-solder it if that's the culprit.

EDIT: Does it change when you touch the strings? that's a dead giveaway of a grounding issue with the guitar.

yeah it actually changes with touching the strings but I still get the hum there it's just quieter
yeah that sounds a lot like grounding problems.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
just pop the back panel off first and see if the wire is hanging loose. If it's still secure you'll have to do a little more searching. Could even be a wire touching the back of a pot where it shouldn't be.

EDIT: wiggle the wire a bit. It should be able to withstand a gentle tug. If the solder connection looks iffy, that could do it. It doesn't have to completely break to give you problems.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 25, 2012,
yeah I remember before my flight I redid the wiring. The 2nd pot was wired as a volume somehow so I put it back as a tone which also got linked to the first pot tone thing somehow.. Guess I've screwed it up there.. I'll check my setup with another guitar tonight tho to make it sure. the thing is that in my room and everywhere else where im staying, there're fire alarm things, I guess the smoke from the soldering would trigger the alarm. which is bad... it's a fine of 50 bux
hmm... I don't think a couple puffs of smoke from soldering would set off an alarm, but would suck to get fined over it.

If you changed some wiring around right before this started, that's almost surely the cause. Now you just have to find somewhere to fire up a soldering iron.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
I guess I'll be able to cover the alarm thing for like a couple of minutes, you know just in case. as for the stuff I need to get, that'll be soldering iron, rosin core solder and that's about it? (I might try and get away wtihout an iron base, you know ask someone to hold it :P)
hmm... may have a bad power supply to one of your pedals then... Can you run everything off batteries to test it out?
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
yeah try playing in another room if possible. If the wiring in the house is bad it can sometimes cause a lot of interference in electronics.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes