So I'm in the process of buying an Ampeg 4x10 cab off of a friend, and now I need a head that goes with it. I'm a beginner bassist and have no idea what kind of head to go with it. I've only ever used combo amps, so I have no idea how to pick a good amp yet, hopefully the cab I got is good! Haven't bought it yet, so if anyone has any other suggestions for amps that would be cool too.
Washburn WI14 (Black)
Fender American Strat (Green)
Fender Precision Bass (Black)
Schecter Riot 5 DLX (Blue)
Last edited by Nastadon at Feb 25, 2012,
Budget? We need to know how much you're willing to spend.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Budget? We need to know how much you're willing to spend.
The cab cost me $200, so $200 to 250 for a head? Maybe $300.
Washburn WI14 (Black)
If you want to pay 400, I'm selling a GK700rb. Would go great with your 410 ;D

Otherwise, stay away from Peavey (high distortion rating).
You could probably find a half decent Hartke head in that price range.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Don't want to spend that much, thanks though!

I found a Line 6 Lowdown 300 for $200, would it be worth it to pick that up?
Washburn WI14 (Black)
^no. Terrible sounding heads, and overpriced for the power/quality.
If you're stateside, a used Carvin would do the job nicely. Peavey might have a high distortion rating, but I don't think you'll have any audible problem if you find one in your budget--they're well built, ok sounding, and loud. The used heads just usually aren't as good of a deal as their combos.

Hartke and a GK other than backline or goldline are good options. Other than that, just keep an eye open and bounce other cool heads you see off of us (like you did with the line 6) and we can give you the dirt on them.
Quote by dullsilver_mike

GK other than backline or goldline are good options.

Honestly, I don't think Backline 600 heads are too terrible...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
Honestly, I don't think Backline 600 heads are too terrible...

I can't vouch for it other than trying a few out in stores. I'm not a fan of the GK sound (which is completely subjective) but I do find their amps to be pretty darn quiet for the rated wattage, which only really becomes an issue on their lower-end models because the high-end ones have so much wattage anyway. I also am leery of the build quality on their low-end amps because their backline and goldline cabs fail so often. That's not necessarily justified, since there's no reason poorly-made cabs=poorly made amps.

I guess my point is, you may very well be right, I'm just personally suspect of them and discourage others from using them because of it. I supposed I should limit my GK warning to the backline and goldline cabs.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I can't vouch for it other than trying a few out in stores. I'm not a fan of the GK sound (which is completely subjective) but I do find their amps to be pretty darn quiet for the rated wattage

My old amp was a fender BXR 200 1x15 and I was able to play with it at 1/3-1/2 volume with two guitarists and a drummer and sometimes need to turn down. It also to me had a very nice tone.

I have not played much GK stuff, but my MB200 head seems to not have a tone, It seems like it's just my bass, nothing really in between but a little EQ. As for loudness, I am unsure, I've played it @ 8 ohms into a 1x15, (maybe 160 watts) and simply could not hear it with just a drummer, and even with 2 15's it's loudness was improved but it didn't seem as earth shattering. I'll be playing it through my carvin in the following weeks with my VT bass, maybe it'll liven up, but I'm probably as my other thread mentioned getting a new amp and keeping it as a wee backup/DI.
Quote by askrere
My old amp was a fender BXR 200 1x15 and I was able to play with it at 1/3-1/2 volume with two guitarists and a drummer and sometimes need to turn down. It also to me had a very nice tone.

I have not played much GK stuff, but my MB200 head seems to not have a tone, It seems like it's just my bass, nothing really in between but a little EQ. As for loudness, I am unsure, I've played it @ 8 ohms into a 1x15, (maybe 160 watts) and simply could not hear it with just a drummer, and even with 2 15's it's loudness was improved but it didn't seem as earth shattering. I'll be playing it through my carvin in the following weeks with my VT bass, maybe it'll liven up, but I'm probably as my other thread mentioned getting a new amp and keeping it as a wee backup/DI.

I think that even response of tone is a fair way to describe GK. I want some more color, a built in mid-hump and a more traditional fat sound. Like I said, completely subjective--I just mentioned it to point out where some of my bias comes from. I haven't tried the micro heads, but had only heard very good things about them. Certainly perfect for a backup if it doesn't quite do the trick for your main rig.