I've been back and forth lately about getting a new guitar, but I decided just to do some basic upgrades on mine!

I have a PRS SE Custom 24, and I'm wondering what kind of upgrades those might be? I've never changed tuners in a guitar, so I don't know how my factory ones compare to different brands.

I'm going to get a dimarzio clip strap and use wood glue and toothpicks to glue the screw in (I've had a lot of trouble with stripped holes). I'm also going to look into new tuners and possibly new pups.

Any suggestions for tuners or any other basic upgrades I might want to look into?
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
A new bridge maybe? A new set of pickups?
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Look into some sperzel tuners. Strap locks are a must have for anyone in my opinion, maybe some graphtech bridge saddles. What type of music do you play, we could give you some suggestions on new pickups.
Hi mate. I have a PRS SE too, basic upgrades for this guitar are:

1. Hardware: get some looking tuners and a good bridge. Good price and high quality -> Hipshot at http://www.hipshotproducts.com/

2. Pick Ups: Dimarzio has got A LOT of nice choise, i recomend upgrading ALL your electronics. That means Pick ups, switch and pots.

3. NUT. Get someone to build you a nice Bone nut (you will thank me this for a lifetime)

Last note, dont do the toothpicks thing. Get a real luthier to get a look to the problem and solve it properly. You might end damaging your guitar.
+1 to the nut idea. A proper nut will improve tuning stability and allow for a proper setup. Lots of standard nuts are filed poorly.

Don't bother with the tuners unless they're causing you trouble. 95% (a number I just made up) of problems with tuning-issues are caused by the user or the nut.

Upgrade pups if you've got a good amp. If your amp isn't good, it's a waste of money.

EDIT: Let a luthier do the nut-replacement, should you opt for it. You might also want them to look at your frets, in case they need to be levelled.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by Darkdevil725
Look into some sperzel tuners. Strap locks are a must have for anyone in my opinion, maybe some graphtech bridge saddles. What type of music do you play, we could give you some suggestions on new pickups.

I usemy bridge pickup to play mostly fast rock / punk / hardcore (nothing really down tuned). For my neck pickup I want a kind of jangly, bassy tone. I've been looking into a D-Sonic in the bridge and maybe an air norton or something seymour duncan in the neck.
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Wilkinson bridge, dunlop frets, dimarzio(paf pro- air classic) - seymour duncan(sh4-sh2n pickups.
Quote by marianoarnaiz
Hi mate. I have a PRS SE too, basic upgrades for this guitar are:

1. Hardware: get some looking tuners and a good bridge. Good price and high quality -> Hipshot at http://www.hipshotproducts.com/

2. Pick Ups: Dimarzio has got A LOT of nice choise, i recomend upgrading ALL your electronics. That means Pick ups, switch and pots.

3. NUT. Get someone to build you a nice Bone nut (you will thank me this for a lifetime)

Last note, dont do the toothpicks thing. Get a real luthier to get a look to the problem and solve it properly. You might end damaging your guitar.

The reason I'm going the toothpicks + wood glue thing is because of all the problems I've had with it and I'm thinking this along with the clip strap is permanent enough. I'm not really planning on needing a different strap or strap locks after this one.

Where would I look for someone to build a nut?

As for a good bridge, which do you recommend? I think what I have now is a floating bridge, correct?
TABBERS WANTED
Any luthier will cut a nut for you. You can also purchase pre-cut stuff: GraphTech sells graphite and tusq nuts; if you go for a bone-nut, make sure to get an unbleached one. Even with the pre-cut nuts, get someone who knows this stuff (luthier, guitar-tech) to install it for you.
Ya, locking tuners - get something with a high ratio (at least 16:1) and try to get a set that requires no driliing for your model. You should be able to swap those yourself.
Also a good cheap upgrade is graphite/teflon saddles and nut.
Think about getting it setup by a pro tech. File frets, set action and intonation (or learn). If you get a pro setup, they should be able to drop in the saddle/nut upgrade for just the cost I the parts ($40). The setup should cost $60 to $100 if the neck is in good shape.
I wouldnt worry about your bridge or pickups. They should be quality enough.
Quote by 667
Ya, locking tuners - get something with a high ratio (at least 16:1) and try to get a set that requires no driliing for your model. You should be able to swap those yourself.
Also a good cheap upgrade is graphite/teflon saddles and nut.
Think about getting it setup by a pro tech. File frets, set action and intonation (or learn). If you get a pro setup, they should be able to drop in the saddle/nut upgrade for just the cost I the parts ($40). The setup should cost $60 to $100 if the neck is in good shape.
I wouldnt worry about your bridge or pickups. They should be quality enough.

Do you think that this model would work well for locking tuners? I know roughly how to adjust intonation and I believe my guitar is good as far as that goes.
TABBERS WANTED
I had a set of planet waves locking tuners that were really nice. You just thread the string and lock it down, tune up and it automatically snipped it for you. They're 18:1 ratio and they fine tune real smooth. Solid tuners. The ones I had use a set screw on the outside. If you don't see screws holding the bodies to the wood (to keep them from spinning really), they are pinned on the inside. I drilled the holes myself. No big deal. If you get the tuners lined up straight it looks pro. You just have to make sure the depth and the diameter are compatable, else you have someone do it.
Im actually looking for a set for my SG. I have a great stock set, but locking tuners are awesome. That's the last thing my guitar needs for it to be perfect.
Quote by JRib1216
Do you think that this model would work well for locking tuners? I know roughly how to adjust intonation and I believe my guitar is good as far as that goes.

No. Dont get those. The ratio sucks. If you ever drop-tune and go with thicker strings (probably anything bigger than 10's), it wil feel notchy making it tough to tune quick (like its too sensitive and it jumps around too much). Stick with 16:1 minimum for an upgrade. Your stock ones are probably 14:1, 12:1 Whould be a downgrade.

Check out the Planet Waves tuners. They are priced pretty reasonable too.

Intonation is easy. I just pluck harmonics on the 12th fret and adjust the saddles in and out until its in tune. A pro would use an occiliscope and make adjustments from different harmonic locations... I think.
Last edited by 667 at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by JRib1216
The reason I'm going the toothpicks + wood glue thing is because of all the problems I've had with it and I'm thinking this along with the clip strap is permanent enough. I'm not really planning on needing a different strap or strap locks after this one.

Where would I look for someone to build a nut?

As for a good bridge, which do you recommend? I think what I have now is a floating bridge, correct?

Trust me... the glue thing is a BAAAD idea, get a good strap b and get a luthier to find a proper solutions.... toothpicks are not proper wood and therefore not a proper solution

. The PRS tremolo is a nice vintage tremolo. The HIPSHOT 6 screws tremolo is as good as the original PRS AMERICAN tremolo and it's cheaper
If its just a stripped screw, the toothpick/glue fix is fine. You would have to be retarded to screw (pun) it up. Just jam them in there, snap them flush. Dont over torque the screw.
Get a set of strap-locks and you're good.
I did the "glue/toothpick" trick on my P-bass about 8 years ago. No problem for the entire time. Did it once, problem solved. Just my anecdotal evidence.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Glued and toothpick'd the dimarzio clip locks into place! I'm guessing I won't have that problem again...ever.

Quote by 667
Check out the Planet Waves tuners. They are priced pretty reasonable too.

Planning on it!

Any other suggestions?
TABBERS WANTED
honestly, i wouldnt touch the pickups on that guitar. they pretty freaking great unless for some reason its not doin what u need it do.

but yea get like....an ervana nut or something idk.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Too late to be useful, but I worked with a guy who worked at Martin and was a tech for Petrucci when he was in town. He was the reason we had toothpicks at the work bench. He never used wood glue for strap buttons, just the toothpicks. I used the same trick on my Tele when I was still in uni and haven't had problems since then.
I am a fake mountain.