All right, I'm looking for something to play in smaller venues, really just looking for a nice, HEAVY sludge metal tone. Something along the lines of Acid Bath, Horn of the Rhino, Stoned Jesus, Down, Sleep, etc etc. Really open to anything at this point. I'm new when it comes to this aspect, of guitar-playing, so yeah.. Just any general tips or ideas on how to find a good amp, amp suggestions, really anything would be great. Thanks.
Sunn Amps.

Or a decent high gain amp, good fuzz and maybe a bass cab.
Last edited by 667 at Feb 25, 2012,
Orange amps.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by 667
Sunn Amps.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Seeing as they're discontinued, any ideas on where I could acquire one of these? Thanks..
You have to scour the internets and have money.

If you have the $$$, go with an AxeFx setup with a nice power amp. You possibilities will be endless.
Quote by Verse34k
AxeFx.. what is this?

It's a high end modeler. Does everything and can mimick the feel of just about everything out there - with every effect imaginable - all in one box. You have to be a gadget person for this. It's just a pre-amplifier, but you can go direct to pa or computer. If you want to run a cab, you'd need a power amp too.
Quote by 667
It's a high end modeler. Does everything and can mimick the feel of just about everything out there - with every effect imaginable - all in one box. You have to be a gadget person for this. It's just a pre-amplifier, but you can go direct to pa or computer. If you want to run a cab, you'd need a power amp too.

these are absolutely amazing. Im a tube amp snob and Ive been a Bogner man for years, but i think once i have the cash to buy one in addition to my analog rig, it will be mine, versatility is endless, great for studio situations as well as live. but the digital realm isnt for everyone, like 667 said you've got to have the patience to tweak your settings, and there are ALOT of them, but a savvy user (not me) can dial this thing in to do ANYTHING. the price tag can be at bit steep at 2600 plus the cost of a rack and power amp plus a cab if you dont want to go direct, but its a truly amazing piece of gear.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Orange amps.

This 100% like seriously just get a rockerverb or thunderverb or even a tiny terror and crank that shit.
I just got an AxeFx2 on Thursday, and the thing is absolutely amazing. I hooked it up to the effects loop on my Engl Savage with an 80% wet setting, so it's an 80/20 mix.

Sludge metal guitar tones are characterized by being layered and having booming echoes. The BEST part about the AxeFx2 is that it doesn't recolor your amp's tone, so when you try to get those echoes it isn't going to kill the original tone.

There's obviously more to it than just fuzz, reverb, and delay, but those three effects when used properly make for a decent sludge sound.

I wouldn't jump directly at the AxeFX2 for the amp models though. They're excellent, but I think that modelers haven't got to the point where they can match high-gain amps. They can match clean and crunch perfectly, but I have yet to hear an A/B comparison between a cranked tube amp and a modeler in which the modeler didn't have tons of post-processing to force the sounds to match.

Check out an Orange or Laney amp, and try throwing some *light* reverb and delay into the effects loop. You might also want a TS808 in front of the amp. Other options would be a Black amp or maybe even a Fortin.
Last edited by CV334 at Feb 26, 2012,
Much appreciation for the advice.

I am thinking about an Orange, black and fortin sound good but i can't find much on them from a quick webs each. anyways I might go with a bass cab, any suggestions for what I should use there.? Thanks/
Last edited by Verse34k at Feb 26, 2012,
+1000 to sunn. The beta series is great, and can usualy be had for around 500$ (check out the band red fang for sound examples) also check out the model t (not the fender reissue). Also check out the laney aor series, the matamp green (Matt pike of sleep/high on fire used one for awhile, also used the laney aor series.) Orange would be great too.

As for a cab, something with 15's would be cool, or a bigger 4x12. Check out the sunn beta series 4x12, it's ported for more bass response, and a bit bigger than a regular 4x 12. If you can't find one of those, look for an ampeg v2 I love mine, it's a massive 4x12, bordering on the size of their 8x 10's, also ported.