Hello fellow Pit(iable) fellows!

I was dancing in my room to Radiohead's I Might be Wrong and pondered over the question why the local bars here don't play cool and danceable stuff like that. That made me wonder what the music is like where you guys go out (come on! I know you're not all as socially inept as you come across).

So what do they play? Does your favourite pub only play Peruvian flute band music or do you space out to Mike Oldfield at that hip club you like so much? And do you like it?

In my town there are no real clubs, but the bars all play their music too loudly and they're overcrowded with people dancing, so it's basically the same thing. It also seems like they have collectively decided on the same horribad playlist. They play the worst top 40 stuff, with the worst of Dutch music and the occasional less bad classic like Summer of 69 or Proud Mary.

Don't get me wrong, I always end up having a good night and wisely ignore the music, but it would be nice if they something a little better once in a while. I can only dream of the day I walk into a bar and this is coming out of the PA.
Bars around my home town, the DJ's put on a copy of NOW!64 on repeat then go hit on underage girls.
Legend

Peterborough United FC
Where I'm at, every night is Karaoke night at the bar I frequent.

Just as a side note, Master Of Puppets is not an appropriate karaoke song ever! EVER!
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Um, I'm still a baby, so I don't go to bars and clubs. But at like coffeeshops and stuff they always play starbuckscore like Sleigh Bells and Cults, naturally, but I love every second of it. \m/
I go to the Cavern Club, in Liverpool, which is the place where the Beatles did their first ever gig. They often do some pretty interesting stuff there. Usually blues and the like.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Because most people who go clubbing don't like that stuff? And plus, if you're in a club and listening to the music on any more than a subconscious level then you're kinda doing it wrong. You either simply dance along to the beat or stand with some mates away from the dance floor and observe the jiggling bums of girls who are.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Most clubs play shit. I just wait until the odd good underground dance dj/producer/whatever plays and go there. Pubs around here have pub bands, hit and miss.
All about where you go, even in the club itself sometime.
I used to work as a hairstyling assistant in a nightclub that's closed now, and I'd hate the majority of the music. Your usual top 40 garbage. However, the club was split into four or five rooms. If you left the popular top 40 room and went upstairs, one of the rooms had salsa, one had ambient, trippy shit, and another had a big blend of everything. When I was busy assing around, I'd head to the trippy ambient room. They had this big ass rabbit you could draw on with chalk, and the walls were jagged and mirrored, creating this insane effect. Why anybody went to any of the other rooms I will never know.
Quote by Todd Hart
Because most people who go clubbing don't like that stuff? And plus, if you're in a club and listening to the music on any more than a subconscious level then you're kinda doing it wrong. You either simply dance along to the beat or stand with some mates away from the dance floor and observe the jiggling bums of girls who are.

If you're into music you'll go to a good club for the music. You can enjoy the music and dance.
Quote by Duffman123
If you're into music you'll go to a good club for the music. You can enjoy the music and dance.

Rather go to the cheap place with cheap drinks and crap music frankly. After a few drinks I tend to not care what music's playing anyway, and I'm not that bothered by rnb and dance stuff anyway.
Quote by Todd Hart
Rather go to the cheap place with cheap drinks and crap music frankly. After a few drinks I tend to not care what music's playing anyway, and I'm not that bothered by rnb and dance stuff anyway.

Fair do's. But for me being at a club playing good dance music is an unbeatable experience, a lot better than getting trashed at a shit club (that's fun as well though).
The only club ive ever really enjoyed was a rock/metal club, played good, but danceable music, but most importantly the clubbers where my kinda people. everywhere else ive been have played beats and top 40 crap and have been full of chavs and the hollister crew
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by Duffman123
Fair do's. But for me being at a club playing good dance music is an unbeatable experience, a lot better than getting trashed at a shit club (that's fun as well though).

I live on a shoestring as it is, so I cant' afford to go to very good places (and there isn't that many in the area so they're even more 'premium priced'. I do go if I can afford it, but I find that if the company's good I could enjoy myself with a radio under a motorway.
Quote by lockwolf

Just as a side note, Master Of Puppets is not an appropriate karaoke song ever! EVER!

Fuck! I just realised I've never done karaoke before! I mean, I've Singstar, but that doesn't count. I need to go to a proper karaoke bar and properly butcher a Queen song!
Quote by frankv
Fuck! I just realised I've never done karaoke before! I mean, I've Singstar, but that doesn't count. I need to go to a proper karaoke bar and properly butcher a Queen song!

Meat Loaf.
Legend

Peterborough United FC
When I went to Bristol to meet a friend one of the bars there had a pretty good jazz band playing (although it was a bit too loud), but the music in bars here is usually somewhere between non-existant and poor.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Todd Hart
I live on a shoestring as it is, so I cant' afford to go to very good places (and there isn't that many in the area so they're even more 'premium priced'. I do go if I can afford it, but I find that if the company's good I could enjoy myself with a radio under a motorway.

Yeah same for me. And yeah any shit club, bar, whatever can be really enjoyable with the right company. I don't have good company or funds atm so neither for me
There's this place Circus that plays all punk and alternative stuff. It's pretty sweet.

Monday is also punk rock karaoke.

I wish the sound guy there wasn't a prick or I'd play there more often.
^I'm pretty baffled by the concept of a place like that drawing enough of a crowd to survive. I need to move to a bigger town!
Quote by Blimpy19
Meat Loaf.

I'm not sure how many people would appreciate enduring 9 minutes of my singing, but that would be awesome!
Last edited by frankv at Feb 25, 2012,
bar went wild last night when the dj threw on wagon wheel, just like errytime that song comes on in a bar. but the rest of the music is usually shit. except niggas in paris. that shit cray

edit: at local bars near my hometown its always country, which makes me want to drink myself to sleep. screw country. one time my buddy got kicked out of a bar for putting nwa on in a hick ass bar. funny shit.
Last edited by turncoat60% at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by frankv
^I'm pretty baffled by the concept of a place like that drawing enough of a crowd to survive. I need to move to a bigger town!

Punk/Rock/Metal is pretty popular with teh kids brah, rock/metal bars over here do pretty well for themselves.
I don't go to bars or clubs unless my band is playing a show, because they all play shitty music, just different varieties of shit.
Quote by lockwolf

Saw someone pull it off once. And then he did The Trooper as well, and both were equally epic.

Usually though, you're right.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by frankv

Columbus has the largest university in the country. There are more than 100 bars on High Street alone. Filling a niche is about the only way to get people in. Circus goes after the "weird" crowd (the walls are covered in carnival sideshow posters). Kind of an "anything goes" vibe too.
The 2 main pubs I used to go to while I was in college just had a touchscreen jukebox type thing. Put £1 in and pick the next 5 songs. Anything from chart to country to metal was on there so it was just whoever happened to want to waste money.
The clubs just played whatever (I imagine) popular songs were out at the time at an unrecognisable volume. By the time I got to them, I was too shitfaced to care and just went and stood in the smoking area watching the crowd.
The one bar here plays a lot of punk, pop punk, hardcore, ska, and a bit of reggae. It's pretty awesome, and it's actually a fairly nice place.
Party Rock is on the hoooouuse toniiight

Everybody just have a gooood tiiiime...

Check out my band Disturbed
Pop.

Cuz it's hard to dance to anything else.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by StewieSwan
Party Rock is on the hoooouuse toniiight

Everybody just have a gooood tiiiime...

This song is basically constant in the SU bar on campus here.
Depends on where you go.

The Barley Room has live bands that do nothing but cover old songs for geriatrics to grind to.

The Dirty Bourbon plays country and holy hell, it pulls hot ass girls.

Ojos Locos plays hip hop 2 years behind what's popular. Kinda lame. Kinda scuzzy.

The clubs play whatever's bangin'/dubstep. Meh.

Last edited by blake1221 at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by Blimpy19
Meat Loaf.

I would if Bat Out of Hell weren't like 9 minutes long. I can't keep the energy going for that long.

The bar I work at has karaoke every Friday, Saturday night. If nobody is singing, the DJ plays his exact same playlist of 90's alt rock that he plays every night he's there. Otherwise, its just up to the discretion of whoever puts money into the jukebox which means a surreal mix of top 40, contemporary country, decent classic rock and hair metal. That's about 90% of the bars around here.

There's a few that are more "clubbish" places that often have DJ's playing consistently either top 40 hip-hop or contemporary country. Needless to say, i don't go into those bars often unless I'm really bored and actually want to be around some attractive, albeit trashy, women instead of weird middle-aged ones (although having 40 something women talk about how young/cute I am is entertaining in a weird way).

I've really only gotten into my local bar scene within the last year or so (I'm 22, so...), and it is ****ing weird as hell. It's kind of terrifying and depressing yet absolutely fascinating and ironically entertaining at the same time.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA