Page 1 of 2
http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm

The link talks about rates corresponding by particular religious groups, ages groups, and geographical areas. Very interesting, although I would have liked to see some stats for below the age of 33 and religious groups other than Christians, Jews, and Atheists/agnostics.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
getting married is a death trap.

This. Maybe I'm just ill-informed, but there seem to be more reasons to avoid marriage every day.
"Marriage" is a temporary and binding illusion that fades over time. When the illusion fades and truer selves surface, people realize whether they genuinely love each other.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
You're all so edgy
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I have no problem with marriage just as a nice ceremony or a totem.
I do have a problem with how it is seen as required and the legalities behind it. It's gone from a celebration of bonding to a legal contract that people can pounce upon when it doesn't go well.
Quote by burghUK
marriage is outdated. There's no need for it any more.

who should get your assets when you die before you've made a will?

when you've quit work to take care of the kids because your significant other earns enough for both of you and then you decide you don't want to be in the relationship anymore, how do you continue to provide for your children/yourself?

marriage isn't for everyone but it does serve its purpose for the most part.

Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I do have a problem with how it is seen as required and the legalities behind it. It's gone from a celebration of bonding to a legal contract that people can pounce upon when it doesn't go well.

From what I've read, it's pretty much always been a legal contract.

In fact it used to boil down the sale of a daughter, or the hiring of a man to take her into a good home.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
who should get your assets when you die before you've made a will?

when you've quit work to take care of the kids because your significant other earns enough for both of you and then you decide you don't want to be in the relationship anymore, how do you continue to provide for your children/yourself?

marriage isn't for everyone but it does serve its purpose for the most part.

People should be better encouraged to make wills then.

I agree with everyone saying marriage is unnecessary. If you really love someone, take the money you would have spent on a white dress and hiring a church and a massive party, and spend it on something really nice for your relationship, like a house deposit or a really nice holiday. A much better use of money.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry

Marriage has always had a financial part to it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
People should be better encouraged to make wills then.

Suits me.

But it's usually a thing people put off. Nobody expects to die in their 40s.

I agree with everyone saying marriage is unnecessary. If you really love someone, take the money you would have spent on a white dress and hiring a church and a massive party, and spend it on something really nice for your relationship, like a house deposit or a really nice holiday. A much better use of money.

Except that's not a marriage.

That's a marriage ceremony. Different thing.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I don't know, wedding receptions can be pretty fun...
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Marriage has always had a financial part to it.

Quote by Lemoninfluence

From what I've read, it's pretty much always been a legal contract.

In fact it used to boil down the sale of a daughter, or the hiring of a man to take her into a good home.

I know. I guess I should have worded it better.
What I mean is it's become more of a legal thing than one of unity. Well, I didn't know about the sale of the daughter bit, so I guess I'm still wrong
I was hoping people would have something to say about the link. *sigh*
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I know. I guess I should have worded it better.
What I mean is it's become more of a legal thing than one of unity. Well, I didn't know about the sale of the daughter bit, so I guess I'm still wrong

Well it's only been relatively recently that women have had anything approaching equal rights.

It's only within the last 50 years or so that it's become legally possible for a wife to refuse to consent to sex. Before that, in most jurisdictions a man could force his wife to have sex with no consequences. It was her duty as a wife.

Even now we still have the remnants of the 'hire a man to take your daughter into a good home' thing. The bride's father traditionally pays for the ceremony. And he 'gives her away' at the altar.

EDIT: ^ I skimmed it. I only really looked at the tables with the figures so there might be things I've missed, but I'm not surprised that religious people don't have a better rate of divorce, despite those vocal people who hold marriage as some sacred concept. It's not a religious thing, despite people's attempts to make it one.

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

What link? I saw no link.

>_>
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Well it's only been relatively recently that women have had anything approaching equal rights.

It's only within the last 50 years or so that it's become legally possible for a wife to refuse to consent to sex. Before that, in most jurisdictions a man could force his wife to have sex with no consequences. It was her duty as a wife.

Even now we still have the remnants of the 'hire a man to take your daughter into a good home' thing. The bride's father traditionally pays for the ceremony. And he 'gives her away' at the altar.

Suddenly it all makes sense.
Learn something new everyday.
I guess I spoke too soon about the subject without knowing enough of it.
Quote by daytripper75
Yet the gays are ruining the institution of marriage...

Silly gays, marriages are for straights.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Suits me.

But it's usually a thing people put off. Nobody expects to die in their 40s.

Except that's not a marriage.

That's a marriage ceremony. Different thing.

I'd argue against both
All the 16 year old pit-dwellers expressing their disdain of marriage. So hip! So edgy! One day, they'll realize women in the 21'st century still want a man that wants them to express their commitment through marriage. Unless, said pit dwellers marry mistress_ibanez lol
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Those statistics bore me. People get married and then realize that they were naive and didn't really love that person. Woohoo.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by son_of_bodom
All the 16 year old pit-dwellers expressing their disdain of marriage. So hip! So edgy! One day, they'll realize women in the 21'st century still want a man that wants them to express their commitment through marriage. Unless, said pit dwellers marry mistress_ibanez lol

Not all women want this, and not all men want those women.

Quote by bradulator
Those statistics bore me. People get married and then realize that they were naive and didn't really love that person. Woohoo.

Or maybe love isn't as permanent as it's made out to be.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Last edited by DonGlover at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by bradulator

I found it interesting when the Baptist leader said he admired the Catholics
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by son_of_bodom

I think your view there is a bit outdated. Not all women want that, and don't men matter? Should they be forced into an unwanted marriage just because it's social convention? Doesn't their happiness matter?

You're a misandrist
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I think your view there is a bit outdated. Not all women want that, and don't men matter? Should they be forced into an unwanted marriage just because it's social convention? Doesn't their happiness matter?

You're a misandrist

lol @ looking like she gives a damn about men

i don't think marriages are that much of a big deal. it's just a formality. a nice party, a new title, and a fresh start. makes you feel different, but rationally and practically, not many differences at all. it doesn't even mean anything in terms of the written work, it's a contract to stay forever until death does them part and evidently the majority of them break up just like any dysfunctional couple. being forced into an unwanted relationship would merit being worried.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I like the idea of marriage, it seems like a nice celebration of love. It isn't for everyone though, so married couples shouldn't get preferential treatment over unmarried couples.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
I like the idea of marriage, it seems like a nice celebration of love. It isn't for everyone though, so married couples shouldn't get preferential treatment over unmarried couples.

In what context?

Quote by element4433
I want to get married in the future. Not now though. I think divorce rates are up because people get married for the wrong reasons, and because they rush into it.

The Pit is so edgy

Oh, and wedding receptions are fun as shit. Who wouldn't want one.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

You're a misandrist

I'm a closet misandrist

And lol @ any man or woman who sets out to find someone against marriage, they'll be choosing from an extremely small pool of potential mates. I'm just perplexed by this sentiment of anti-marriage. Where does it come from? It behooves the majority of couples to get legally married. Explain to me, why you're against marriage.

inb4 your entire argument is based on sexism.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by CF_Mono
*reads article*

"at a older age"

at a older age

at a older age

at a older age

So how credible is this again?

It's pretty well cited. Quit bitching about stupid typos, you must be one of those people in the columns on UGs homepage.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Ha-Ha! Suck it god!
"Divorce rates among conservative Christians were significantly higher than for other faith groups, and much higher than Atheists and Agnostics experience."
Quote by daytripper75
Yet the gays are ruining the institution of marriage...

And atheists have no morals!
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

Ron Barrier, Spokesperson for American Atheists remarked on these findings ...

"These findings confirm what I have been saying these last five years. Since Atheist ethics are of a higher caliber than religious morals, it stands to reason that our families would be dedicated more to each other than to some invisible monitor in the sky. With Atheism, women and men are equally responsible for a healthy marriage. There is no room in Atheist ethics for the type of 'submissive' nonsense preached by Baptists and other Christian and/or Jewish groups. Atheists reject, and rightly so, the primitive patriarchal attitudes so prevalent in many religions with respect to marriage."

I call bullshit on the bolded. I'm American, I'm an Atheist, and I'm completely sexist and traditionalist.

This bro is clearly a spokesman for Secular Humanism, not Atheism per se.
Quote by beadhangingOne
I call BS but for different reasons. Atheism just means you believe there's no god. Everything else is on the table.

Actually, that's kind of the same reason. He's promoting a specific world view with political implications that are not related to Atheism, which is, as you describe it, a mere proposition or single belief.
Quote by beadhangingOne
I call BS but for different reasons. Atheism just means you believe there's no god. Everything else is on the table.

Yea, exactly.

He acts like being an atheist somehow makes you smarter. I know a lot of religious people, and a lot of atheist. And guess what? They both have their fair share of complete retards.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Page 1 of 2