if i were to build a major scale it would wwhwwwh right?so do u have to build it on 1 string?like if i were to play a c major scale can u play C on the 6th string D on the 5th string E on the 4th string and so on or do u have to play it all on 1 string?And last question what are chord shapes?
Last edited by music99 at Feb 25, 2012,
Yes, that's the formula for a major scale. You don't have to build it on one string, they tend to be expressed as 'positions', which are scale shapes spanning several frets on all the strings. A chord shape is a standard fingering for a chord that can be moved around
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
so when someone tells me to learn the scales then all i have to do know the formula for it and play the particular scale that im building?
Well, kind of. Knowing the various positions of a scale is probably the best approach for learning them. You need to really listen to the scales as you play them too, try and familiarise yourself with the sound of each note
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
tyvm paddy and any tips on which scale i should learn first and also my final question why is it that when ever i play a song it doesnt sound smooth?Like when i play a song it sounds like the notes doesnt connect.Is it because im not letting it ring out?
Last edited by music99 at Feb 25, 2012,
In theory, the best scale to learn first would be the natural major, as the vast majority of common scales are in some way based off that scale. Major and minor penatonics are a bit easier to learn though so you might want to start there.
As for your other question, I don't honestly know. Maybe it'll just come with practise
My Soundcloud