Just wondering is there a way when playing power chords to mute the string you dont want to play? Ive heard muting them with your pinky but I have tried and it doest seem to work any advice?
You could use you fingers and pick the two strings. Ritchie Blacmore (Deep Purple) played the intro to Smoke on the water with his fingers. Or even a Pick and finger.
Try laying the first finger of your fretting hand lightly against the strings for the higher ones. To mute the low E use the tip of the first finger.
Last edited by Soen at Feb 25, 2012,
Ok your index just has to be touching the strings you don't want to play.
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
you should keep mute the higher string with your index all the time*... just by resting it on those strings. general rule... and if you want to mute the low E... i usually do a power chord with my index and pinky... my index mutes the higher strings and my middle rests on the lower strings... just like giving a bif FU to the public. (:

*with this i mean no matter what you're doing (power chords, soloing, arpeggios) you're index is resting on the higher strings.
Last edited by whysky at Feb 25, 2012,
You should get into the habit of muting with your left hand as it can be very helpful and necessary for some things. But hitting muted strings will still make some sound so you need to work on your accuracy to avoid hitting those strings.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
You should get into the habit of muting with your left hand as it can be very helpful and necessary for some things. But hitting muted strings will still make some sound so you need to work on your accuracy to avoid hitting those strings.

This +1

Muting is the technique for damping sympathetic ringing. It's not an all over cure for poor technique where you're hitting strings you shouldn't be as they will still sound out with a thud (or even a harmonic).

Also, there are many methods to muting. The resting index finger is the most orthodox. However there are many great guitarists who don't have the full use of their index finger and they have adapted other, just as effective methods.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100