Page 1 of 2
Hi there,

I didn't really know where else to post this, so I'm gonna do it just here, hope it's okay.

I've been playing electric guitar for a little more than a year now, before that I've been playing accoustic guitar for half a year. I've been using a cheap fender stratocaster imitation which I got for 120€, including the amp.

Having made some progress, I decided to buy a better guitar. I chose the Ibanez RG827QMZ-RDT for 849€, a seven strin guitar with two humbuckers. In addition I bough a peavey vypyr 100 for 349€. I admit, I didn't test any of those, which was mainly because there was no store I could do so anywhere near by. However, I've seen many video-tests of the vypyr and it seemed quite good.

Well, I paid both the guitar and ampflifier and as soon as I got them and unpacked them and tested them I got very much disappointed by both of them. The humbuckers actually didn't do the job they were supposed to, there was still lost of humming to be heard comming from the guitar, whichever switch-position I choose. And all the positions of the 5-way-switch sounded very similarly (unlike my onld guitar with 3 inglecoils). The amp wasn't any better, despite being so huge and loud, it sounded very poor. To be sure I directly compared my old guitar (connected as well to my old and to my new amp) and my new guitar (again, connected both to my old and new amp). And my old guitar sounded even slightly better.

I mostly play with high gain and distortion, so I expected the Ibanez RG827 to sound spectacual, since this is supposed to be the strenght of those guitars. But even with distortion my bridge-singlecoil on my old guitar sounded much better than the bridge-humbucker of the Rg827. I'm pretty sure it was no due to my playing skills or the wire or the strings (I used Daddario strings and a cordial 3m wire).

How can this be? Has anyone of you experienced something similar?
I may be naive believing that a guitar and amp for in total 1.200 bucks would makethe difference, but there was hardly any to be heard.

Greetings,

equeir
Eh, you didn't try them. First, tune the guitar good, that can change a lot of stuff. You must have used too much gain or either did set up the amp and guitar badly or even you didn't. You don't seem to have quite an ear to hear the difference between all 5 positions. It is just you don't know much stuff. The things you bought are really nice stuff and it can be your preference of sound and your lack of experience. Whether your switch is not functioning, but that's not quite that possible. You gotta work much with these stuff to find out a good sound. But I tell you, it is mostly your lack of experience after all.
Well firstly it is silly to spend 1200 without trying anything.

Secondly, I would have gone for a slightly cheaper guitar and a more expensive amp. A great guitar through an OK amp will sound OK, and that's it.

Also it sounds like you don't really know what humbuckers are.

Given that the Vypyr is a modelling amp you should almost certainly get a sound you like from it. I'm guessing this is the only low-mid range amp you have ever played through so you should be able to find something you like.
first point: Ibanez sucks donkey balls
second: take it easy... you still need a little more of your sound going on your fingers and not on the instrument but that takes time. Beeing said that, everytime i've played an Ibanez i hated the sound xd
but give it a chance... specially to the amp... play with the knobs, move things a little... you need a little time to get to know it better... when i first bought my actual amp i also hated it the first weeks... but now i know it enough to get all it's potential
Perhaps it was the fact that you went for a seven string guitar? Do you know how to play one? Do you know how to tune one? Also, as will be said, you should have bought a more expensive amp and a less expensive guitar.

edit to the above post: I think Ibanez make some damn fine guitars, especially around the 300-400 euro mark.
Last edited by conor-figgy at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by whysky

Because sweeping generalisations are really going to help here.

But yes TS, it sounds like you paid quite a lot of money without really knowing what you want or what to go for. A beginner with semi-decent gear will still sound like a beginner because they probably havn't learned how to use their equipment properly.
Last edited by Random3 at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by conor-figgy
Also, as will be said, you should have bought a more expensive amp and a less expensive guitar.

What's that stuff everybody talks about? I don't know any people having an amp higher then 50w around. Even on big scenes, people use some low end amps with a microphone and they sound perfect. A 20 watt roland would even do very nice stuff. That stuff you talk about sir is extremely incorrect. Not unless you are a part of a serious band then you'd already had enough money to buy both an expensive guitar and an amp. Good guitar sounds always good on an above average amp.

Quote by whysky

And, if you say ibanez sucks donkey balls, I give you permission to jump from everest.
Last edited by cemges at Feb 25, 2012,
It's too bad you cannot try them before you purchased them. It is very important. I do have similiar feelings about the vypyr and about things you should get in the future. Here are my thoughts.

My first guitar was a Ibanez GAX30 and a Marshall MG10. After a year of playing I wanted to upgrade.

My impressions of new hardware was, the more expensive the better. But this isn't right. You must try it out to like it. You must take away all impressions of brands and price and listen to the tone and feel of the hardware.

I played Les Pauls, super strats (ibanez RGs) and Gibson SG like guitars but on my old MG10 amp. It didn't sound any better. At the time I was still learning what made most of the tone, the amp or the guitar. Currently I feel that the amp is responsible for most of the tone. (Just my thoughts, I'll probably get flamed for saying that as most people will tell you that the combination of guitar/strings/pickups/amp make the tone)

I didn't like Les Pauls because of the bridge, the SG because of the shape. I bought a Ibanez RGA32 because it felt right, and the tone was exactly what I wanted.

I tried the Peavey Vypyr 15 and just like you I thought it's tone was incredible through youtube vids and sound clips. Maybe I'm just limited in knowledge as I still have lots to learn about tone. But it sounded like a very muffled mono low khz sound. It didn't have that crushing, bright/clear distortion tone that the youtube videos had.

I had the same experience with other amps like the Marshall MG15 & MG30 and the Cube 15. On youtube the Marshall sounded very clear and bright, but in person it was muffled mono low khz sounding.

One other amp that I did like was the VOX VT. It's just like the Line 6 Spider but warmer sounding, my gripe was the distortion sounded... ducky. Sorry but that's the word that comes to mind. Its like how Marshalls are known for twang, VOX was like.. quack.. haha.

I finally conclude for myself that you shouldn't take anything through the internet to significantly influence you as it doesn't sound exactly like it will in person.

I bought a Line 6 Spider IV 15 because it has that clear, crushing tone I want.

So to conclude there's alot more than what the internet can tell you about hardware.

Guitar:
Does it sound right to you?
Is the neck the right thickness for you?
Is the bridge comfortable? the RGA32 has a Gibraltar fixed bridge which allows me to palm mute easier, I found guitars such as Les Pauls with Tune-O-Matics bother me
Fret Buzz(if you are picky)
Maintenance (how easy is it to change strings)
Types of wood

Amp:
Does it sound right to you?
Does it have effects you want?
Easy to use?
Size of speaker (bigger speaker gives more bass)
Type of speaker

Hopefully you can return your hardware or exchange too. I hope that my notes can help you in the future!
Quote by cemges
What's that stuff everybody talks about? I don't know any people having an amp higher then 50w around. Even on big scenes, people use some low end amps with a microphone and they sound perfect. A 20 watt roland would even do very nice stuff.

Why are you bringing wattage into this? Nobody mentioned wattage. Great wattage means great price only when one is looking at one specific model of amp.

Quote by cemges
That stuff you talk about sir is extremely incorrect.

I'm afraid it's kinda not.

Quote by cemges
Good guitar sounds always good on an above average amp.

Why yes yes it does, but that's not what TS has in comparison to what he could have had for that money.
Quote by cemges
What's that stuff everybody talks about? I don't know any people having an amp higher then 50w around. Even on big scenes, people use some low end amps with a microphone and they sound perfect. A 20 watt roland would even do very nice stuff. That stuff you talk about sir is extremely incorrect. Not unless you are a part of a serious band then you'd already had enough money to buy both an expensive guitar and an amp. Good guitar sounds always good on an above average amp.

And, if you say ibanez sucks donkey balls, I give you permission to jump from everest.

I think when people mean 'spend more on an amp' they mean get something of a higher quality, wattage size has nothing to do with your wallet size

But to be honest though, there isnt anything terribly wrong with what you bought, i think you just need to give it time. i went from a crispy high gain blackstar to a low gain warm laney, took some getting used to but the sound i get imo is much more 'me' than what i used before.

I think your ears will just develop to this new sound you have, and don't rush to conclusions. That rig should last you quite a long time, and don't worry too much about buying things online you haven't tried, i spent around £1800 on a PRS and a Carvin off of ebay, best guitars i've ever had and i love them. And these were new buys you got right? I don't think it was too risky. You've just gotta adapt to your new tone, and enjoy it
not to get on your case or anything, but why didn't you ask the questions before you bought anything?

we'd have told you

(a) the premiums probably aren't as good an idea as teh prestiges. teh prestiges are the japanese-made ibanezes, i.e. the best ones, and are the ones to go for unless you're lucky enough to find a j-custom

and

(b) the amp is at least as important as the guitar in providing the tone you want, and you probably want to spend an at-least equal amount (especially if you're playing higher gain stuff)

i mean... there's not much we can do now you have it, kind of thing.

And I'm not taking this all out on you, just this happens all the time and threadstarters expect us to fix it. there's very little we can do, teh flux capacitor hasn't been invented yet. Fair enough if you have no idea that teh forum exists and you only found it because you were trying to rectify the problem (which appears to be the case since you registered in 2012), but if you were already registered here there's no excuse, kind of thing.

does/do the shop/s you bought from have a return policy? if so, and you really hate what you've bought, that might be the thing to do (in the EU by law you have 7 days to return something you bought online, so even if the store doesn't have a return policy, they do by law, kind of thing).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they aint what they used to be

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Stock pickups suck, not the best 7 string you can get for that money, also, if you're going to be using THAT much gain, get a noise gate.

An RG7321 with Blackouts > that guitar. Or any low end 7-string, for that matter.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Last edited by damian_91 at Feb 25, 2012,
that too, probably.

though i'm guessing even the current prestiges are pretty decent.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that too, probably.

though i'm guessing even the current prestiges are pretty decent.

Not what they should be Dave, hold on to your 3120 and never let it go.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
no intention but thanks for the heads-up

i mean even the 3120 has lighter, drier rosewood than i'd like. Not too concerned considering the price i got it for, but yeah. the rosewood on my 470 is better (and it's only like 3 years older).

I've been noticing a decline in the quality of rosewood with a lot of makes over the past few years.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah,

its not good.

i mean some ibby stuff is still great, but its mostly the J Customs that I would willingly buy new unseen, the other ranges?

Its a case of check it and check it again, then maybe buy it.

They just arent what they used to be, hell I would be happier if they started using like some sort of composites for their fret boards, I actually think something like Richlite would be a great feature on an Ibanez, I even think most Ibby fans would dig it... But I digress and dream...

Oh and:

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^^ hehe

I mean... i like ibanez (the style of teh guitar more than the company, to be fair). but they definitely do have form in cost-cutting wherever possible, even if it makes little sense and causes a decrease in quality for little discernible financial gain (e.g. the whole locking studs fiasco with teh edge pro).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by AcousticMirror
nothing you bought was very good.

God I love you Min.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah he doesn't exactly sugarcoat things
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by whysky
second: take it easy... you still need a little more of your sound going on your fingers and not on the instrument but that takes time. Beeing said that, everytime i've played an Ibanez i hated the sound xd
but give it a chance... specially to the amp... play with the knobs, move things a little... you need a little time to get to know it better... when i first bought my actual amp i also hated it the first weeks... but now i know it enough to get all it's potential

Dont listen to this kid. He plays a fender frontman and a bunch of shitty guitars and from his spelling and grammar he seems like he's 12.

Anyway get your guitar professionally set up and checked, search the net for some good settings on your amp and if you really cant find the sound you like then sell the guitar and/or amp. You'll run a loss but you'll learn a very very valuable lesson, ALWAYS TRY GEAR BEFORE YOU BUY IT.
Whatever. When i first started guitar, i couldn't hear difference between 5 pickups positions and couldn't get a good sound from amp. Then i bought a digitech rp255 after 1 year. After buying it, it really gave me nice sounds, and also by presets, I learned what i need for which tone. So I am using the amp without processor generally, because now i am experienced enough to set my amp for all different tones. You just need that. The stuff you bought is really ideal. All of them are enough, just learn how to setup them.

Btw the gear i talk about are an Ibanez RG270 (old non-gio one, 2000 made, edge 2 and wizard 2, psnd pickups, which are all actually bad), and I can get the tone i want. If i'd had your gear, I'd thank god everyday. Btw, you can also change pickups by dimarzio later.
Last edited by cemges at Feb 26, 2012,
as alread mentioned, I don't actually have the option of checking the gear I'd like to buy. There is a small guitar/guitar-gear shop here in my town, but it barely hase some decent equipment (and I mean it, it's VERY small, my living room is almost as big as it is). The closest big guitar store is about 150km away (if not then even farther) and I didn't have the opportunity to visit it yet.

I'm getting my gear and guitar from thomann, which in europe is pretty much the biggest guitar store and from what I know I can return my stuff within 14 days.

Lot of you guys told me to check the equipment again whether it was tuned and set up correctly. I actually did. I've been doing this for the last couple of days without taking a break. I've been toying around with the gain, drive, distortion, treble, power sponge and every single effect I could find on the amp and tested every single pre-set and every single one of them largely disapointed me. It just didn't sound as it did on many youtube-videos.

No, I haven't played a seven-string before, but I got used to it quite fast, so I didn't think it was due to this.

Some of you told me I shoudl actually buy a less expensive guitar and a more expensive amp. I've been thinking of buying a tube amp but a good tube amp (even if it has a better sound) is way more expensive than a good tranistor amp. Plus, you need to buy extra speakers for the tube from what I know. 1200 already is a great deal of money, I'm well aware of it.
Last edited by equeiregoocu at Feb 26, 2012,
before I decided to buy the vypyr 100 I actually wanted to buy the Peavey Bandit 112 or peavey valve kind 112 first. Do you think that would have been the better choice? Do I need extra speakers for the valve king?
Quote by equeiregoocu
before I decided to buy the vypyr 100 I actually wanted to buy the Peavey Bandit 112 or peavey valve kind 112 first. Do you think that would have been the better choice? Do I need extra speakers for the valve king?

The ValveKing is a better amp IMO but the Vypyr will be better for you as it has a lot of tones and effects you can play with.

What do you mean do you need extra speakers for the VK? Do you mean you were looking at the head version?
Quote by equeiregoocu

Some of you told me I shoudl actually buy a less expensive guitar and a more expensive amp. I've been thinking of buying a tube amp but a good tube amp (even if it has a better sound) is way more expensive than a good tranistor amp. Plus, you need to buy extra speakers for the tube from what I know. 1200 already is a great deal of money, I'm well aware of it.

There's a reason Tube is more expensive than Solid State... 9/10 times it just sounds a good deal better ;-)

Tubes don't need an extra speaker unless you buy a head only. But there's plenty of combo Tube amps out there (Amp + Speaker in 1). Have a look at the Blackstar HT5C or HT5R for example. You can get these in Europe for around 350-400 euro's easily and they're nice and versatile.

Anyway, I can only echo what others have said here:

Try before you buy. Yes it's a 150km trip, but it's also 1200 bucks. Hey, you could make a pretty epic roadtrip out of this. ;-) If that's really not possible then at least ask around about the gear you're looking at beforehand. A review on YT alone might not be the most objective thing.
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
No matter how shit that Ibanez is, it shouldn't sound worse than a sub $100 cheap strat knock-off, sounds like you got a lemon.

First thing of all: get your money back.
Quote by Random3
The ValveKing is a better amp IMO but the Vypyr will be better for you as it has a lot of tones and effects you can play with.

I actually don't care for many effects, what I'd need is a amp with nice gain. I mainly play (power- and heavy) metal, sometimes 80's rock and that's it. Hall, auto-wah, fuzz and all that are all nice effects, but when and if I'll need them I can buy some seperately. I was planing to buy a Ibanez wheeping demon anyways.

What do you mean do you need extra speakers for the VK? Do you mean you were looking at the head version?

No, I weren't looking at the head version, I mean the actuall amp.
I've read and heard a lot of times you can break a tube amp if you don't use seperate speakers, which wouldn't be the case with transistor amps. That and the fact that you have to buy an new tube for the amp from time to time was the main reason I decided to buy the vypyr 100.

Do you think I'd rather should send the vypyr back in and instead buy a valve king?
Quote by equeiregoocu
I've read and heard a lot of times you can break a tube amp if you don't use seperate speakers

That makes no sense unless I am misunderstanding something.

Quote by equeiregoocu
Do you think I'd rather should send the vypyr back in and instead buy a valve king?

I would suggest making another thread asking for the best amp for you in your price range. Say you already have a Vypyr 100 but you are unsure if you have made the right decision. You will get a lot more helpful answers in a thread like that than one about being disappointed by your Ibanez.
Alright TS, I feel for you, and I'm going to try to help rather than spam up your thread some more.

First of all, it sounds like there is actually something wrong with your guitar. Maybe a loose wire or something causing it to not work as it's supposed to. But there is no way it should be sounding as bad as you're describing. You should start there, because if that's not right, then nothing you play through with it will sound right.

Secondly, about the amp. The Vypyr is rather advanced, as far as beginner amps go. It takes time, and you have to "learn" how to use it. It has a ton of sounds in it, and it can be overwhelming at first with all the options. For what you play, mess around with the XXX or JSX channel. You should be able to find something you like there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
1.) Don't buy expensive shit unless you can try it out first (or return it easily).

2.) Expensive =/= Good
I went to a shop. Dropped £2599 on a Gibson Les Paul Supreme. Got used to it and decided it was shit so I took it back. It happens. But it makes you realise there are awesome guitars out there for a lot cheaper. You simply do not need to spend over £1000 really. My new Baja tele (£565) in my opinion, is miles better than that Supreme which is five times the price. If you want to spend over £1000, that's great and it's up to you but there are guitars out there for much cheaper that will be just as good.
Quote by equeiregoocu
as alread mentioned, I don't actually have the option of checking the gear I'd like to buy. There is a small guitar/guitar-gear shop here in my town, but it barely hase some decent equipment (and I mean it, it's VERY small, my living room is almost as big as it is). The closest big guitar store is about 150km away (if not then even farther) and I didn't have the opportunity to visit it yet.

I'm getting my gear and guitar from thomann, which in europe is pretty much the biggest guitar store and from what I know I can return my stuff within 14 days.

I appreciate that- a lot of us are in a similar situation (the only half-decent music shops here are 30+ miles away from me- granted not a bad as 150km, but still not great).

but you could still ask for advice online before making a purchase. for example, the traynor ycv50b on thomann is a killer deal at just over 500 euros. Combine that with a couple of the harley benton pedals (they're rebranded joyos... at least, the ones that look like joyos are, they also do rebranded beta aivins) such as the vintage overdrive (tubescreamer clone) and you'd have a killer rig, and you'd still have enough money left for a pretty good guitar, too.

Quote by equeiregoocu

wut? you don't need extra speakers for a tube amp. you need at least one speaker, sure, but if you buy a combo it'll already have a speaker attached.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_ycv50b.htm 577 euro
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_vintage_overdrive.htm

and that would still have left you enough for an MIJ charvel, japanese-made jackson or maybe even a prestige MIJ ibanez if you were lucky (i've seen them for sale for around 600 euro, but not on thomann any more )

granted maybe you had your heart set on a 7 string, but i'm not sure how sensible getting a 7 for your first "proper" guitar was. Obviously only you know how badly you need a 7, and if everything you play requires a 7, then that's fair enough and maybe you do need one. but if it were little more than a whim, i'd get a 6. Heck i've been playing for nearly 12 years now and I haven't even tried a 7, much less bought one (though granted very little of what I play would actually need one, I'm not saying they're pointless or anything like that because they aren't).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Random3
That makes no sense unless I am misunderstanding something.

Dunno how to explain it differently, but I've only heard to always make sure there's a speaker connected to a tube-amp or esle the transfomator can be damaged due to high voltage.

Quote by Offworld92
Alright TS, I feel for you, and I'm going to try to help rather than spam up your thread some more.

First of all, it sounds like there is actually something wrong with your guitar. Maybe a loose wire or something causing it to not work as it's supposed to. But there is no way it should be sounding as bad as you're describing. You should start there, because if that's not right, then nothing you play through with it will sound right.

No idea how the guitar could have been damaged. Perhaps through transport, but it's brand new, I got it on tuesday.

Secondly, about the amp. The Vypyr is rather advanced, as far as beginner amps go. It takes time, and you have to "learn" how to use it. It has a ton of sounds in it, and it can be overwhelming at first with all the options. For what you play, mess around with the XXX or JSX channel. You should be able to find something you like there.

I can give it another try, but as already mentioned, I tried probably all of the presets and I basically missed everything you'd expect to sound like metal.

And just so there are no further misunderstandings: I spent 850€ for the guitar and 350 for the amp, sounds like some of you think I pait 1200€ for the guitar itself, which isn't the case.

Quote by Dave_Mc

wut? you don't need extra speakers for a tube amp. you need at least one speaker, sure, but if you buy a combo it'll already have a speaker attached.

kay, thanks for the info. another proof for how much crap you can find on the internet :/

granted maybe you had your heart set on a 7 string, but i'm not sure how sensible getting a 7 for your first "proper" guitar was. Obviously only you know how badly you need a 7, and if everything you play requires a 7, then that's fair enough and maybe you do need one. but if it were little more than a whim, i'd get a 6. Heck i've been playing for nearly 12 years now and I haven't even tried a 7, much less bought one (though granted very little of what I play would actually need one, I'm not saying they're pointless or anything like that because they aren't).

Well, firstly I wanted to get the Ibanez RG870QMZ-RDT, which pretty much is the 6-string variant of the RG827 with an additional single coil. Thing is I don't use the middle-position single coil very often, I actually find it iritating at some times when playing cause I tend to hit it with my pick from time to time. The idea of having a 7string is that I simply my taste of music.
Quote by Random3
Well firstly it is silly to spend 1200 without trying anything.

I didn't try any of the equipment I purchased before I bought it. *shrugs*

Haven't had a single problem with any of it.
I say you need only time. But well, you can also get them back to store, get a Jackson or a Fender, along with a Vox AC-15 (like 400$) or Blackstar HT5, and you know fender american special strat is a nice guitar if you like strats, or a jackson dk-2 as a rock-metal guitar(like 700) so for 1100$, you can get better stuff, and a pedal for overdrive too bost amp or a distortion pedal, etc. I'd say a MIJ Jackson DK2 or American Strat with an 15 Watt valve amp would be better then MIK Ibanez and a Solid State Amp.
Last edited by cemges at Feb 26, 2012,
Quote by equeiregoocu
(a) Dunno how to explain it differently, but I've only heard to always make sure there's a speaker connected to a tube-amp or esle the transfomator can be damaged due to high voltage.

(b) kay, thanks for the info. another proof for how much crap you can find on the internet :/

(c) Well, firstly I wanted to get the Ibanez RG870QMZ-RDT, which pretty much is the 6-string variant of the RG827 with an additional single coil. Thing is I don't use the middle-position single coil very often, I actually find it iritating at some times when playing cause I tend to hit it with my pick from time to time. The idea of having a 7string is that I simply my taste of music.

(a) oh yeah, of course, but that's just to prevent damage if you accidentally have the speaker unplugged. You won't get sound out of any amp (tube or solid state) without a speaker attached

(b) well, i think what you read was correct, just it was worded a bit ambiguously

(c) i definitely think the prestiges are a better idea than the premiums. Though I haven't tried the premiums yet, and i haven't tried prestiges for a while and from what i hear the quality is decreasing on the prestiges

you can always lower the middle single coil if it annoys you. might still be a bit in the way, though. But might be worth bearing in mind.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm actually now thinking of just sending the vypyr back in to thomann and instead buy the valve king, might turn out to be better. But I'll gve it another chance.
Page 1 of 2