This christmas my parents brought me a fender squier 6 string and a amp , of which I believe is 15 amps, I've been busy with school so haven't used it much. I want to play music from bands like The devil wears prada, Chelsea grin, Suicide silince, and august burns red. I know they use drop a\b tunnings but can use this with a 6 string? Do I even have the right guitar? Where do I start? I'm basically over whelmed here with all the techniques and tunings here.

Thanks for the help
Regards,
start with really basic stuff. there's no point in learning to play songs if you have no idea whats going on in them. go to a local shop and grab some basic technique books (I really like Hal Leonard stuff, its well written and has good explanations). start really basic and work your way up. guitar takes a while to get good at, but its certainly rewarding once you're good at playing.

as far as gear goes, you're fine. pretty much everybody started on a squire or similar. given you didn't say what sort of amp you have (15watts, by the way), its tough to judge that. as far as gear goes, don't get anything too genre specific yet. you won't have a clue how to use it, and you'll blow your money and get little return. learn the basics with what you have and upgrade as you begin to see limitations.
Quote by spetznaz
but can use this with a 6 string?

Yes, you might have intonation problems, but, I doubt you'll really care.

Quote by spetznaz
Do I even have the right guitar?

No not really, but it'll do the job for now.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I absolutely agree with Krehzeekid. Don't try to get ahead of yourself or you may end up hurting yourself in the ong run.
That being said, I don't think it would hurt if you checked out some tabs to get an idea of what goes on in the songs.
My sig? Nice.
Yeah, a six string could hit that tuning, but it would be need heavy strings and a proper set-up to play properly. Anyway, when it comes to getting started, it's important to learn a mix of "non-fun" (theory, technique, etc.) and "fun" (learning simple songs you like). That way, you are learning, but aren't getting burnt out in the work it takes. Lastly, don't spend money on more equipment until you're sure you've outgrown what you have.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
krehzeekid is right, learn at least the basics like chords, scales, basic theory, before you get into just playing songs 24/7, learn to be a musician before anything, learn to practice and learn to be patient with yourself, do that and you're set. It might take you 3-6 months to be able to play what you listen to maybe it will take a year, maybe 2, maybe you'll realise that the music you like isn't necessarily the music you want to play or you can play.
The most important thing is try to get into as little bad habits as you can (there's always gonna be something you do wrong).
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
I'd say learn something simpler that you can run through without instantly hating guitar because you won't be able to play the songs they do. But really, i'd say you should learn how you want to.

If you want to start learning that stuff straight off, then fine, but your gonna be in for a tough ride. But your mindset changes that i feel really.

Looking back on how i learnt to play (i'm still learning probably, you never stop) but the roots of what i did was playing songs i liked, even if it took more effort. But i was motivated, and played god knows how many hours each day. Then i started delving into guitar magazines, and learnt techniques properly from there (how to hold a pick, picking techniques, fretting, using your pinkie, all that stuff) and that was when the learning curve got steep for me. But i still had fun with it, and i didn't get frustrated cause i enjoyed playing guitar.

Honestly, if you enjoy playing you should enjoy learning. If you don't you'll notice sooner or later
I have started the basics with, metal lead guitar volume one by troy stetina, I'm not sure if I'm on the right track and guitar is out of tune.
Quote by spetznaz
I have started the basics with, metal lead guitar volume one by troy stetina, I'm not sure if I'm on the right track and guitar is out of tune.

you should buy a tuner then. best $15 piece of gear on the planet (I still have the crappy Korg my dad got me 10 years ago).

that book is okay, but I would start with general stuff. having good basic guitar technique (things like how to fret, how to hold a pick) go an immensely long way. it'll take a while to really grasp the basics, but if you take the time to learn them properly, you'll progress far faster down the line.
I agree with krehseekid! Start with the basics and once you understand that, you will be well on your way. Have patience and do not get discouraged. We all started in the same spot.

Good luck!
Quote by krehzeekid

that book is okay, but I would start with general stuff.

This.

Don't go diving into a metal-related book straight away. Metal is one of the harder genres to play, mainly because of the speed.

Start with a neutral book ie. one that isn't specific genre-related.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
If you don't have a tuner, you need to buy one. It's one of the single most important pieces of gear out there. If you're not in tune, you'll never be able to learn, because nothing will ever sound right.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Just learn to play for starters. Let your musical journey take its course, maybe when you've got more of a grasp of music and what makes music, you'll want to play something entirely different.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by spetznaz
This christmas my parents brought me a fender squier 6 string and a amp , of which I believe is 15 amps

What the shit.

Quote by spetznaz
I've been busy with school so haven't used it much. I want to play music from bands like The devil wears prada, Chelsea grin, Suicide silince, and august burns red. I know they use drop a\b tunnings but can use this with a 6 string? Do I even have the right guitar? Where do I start? I'm basically over whelmed here with all the techniques and tunings here.

Thanks for the help
Regards,

You can do it supposedly, but a Squier is far from the best guitar to do it. Did you do any research on what guitar would be right for you before asking your parents what you wanted?

Quote by spetznaz

Troy's stuff is very good; I read his books all the time, especially the volumes on lead playing. But I wouldn't do something that had a singular focus at first; I'd get a book that was a bit more general.

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Rock-Guitar-Complete-Learning/dp/0793587875

This is a decent one because the tabs are nice and easy and it covers the basics of many different styles. But it might be a bit difficult to read the theory behind it if you're completely unfamiliar. But that's all part of the challenge.

Get a tuner too. They're vital.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 1, 2012,
1 - Get a tuner or a tuner app for your phone
2 - Take a giant step back and learn how to crawl before sprinting

You need to check youtube and the lessons part of this site. Learn how to play some chords and how the guitar works in standard tuning. You don't need to jump into alternate tunings and just basically frustrating yourself with stuff that will be much too challenging for a beginner. You are months to years from being able to play the stuff you want to.
Quote by pauldawg1177
You are months to years from being able to play the stuff you want to.

I wouldn't go that far. It just depends on how much TS is willing to practice and keep committed.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.