Howdy,

I'm thinking of changing to a heavier string gauge.

I read yesterday that tuning my guitar from E standard up to F will give me an idea of what the next gauge up will feel like.

Will putting a capo on the 1st fret also demonstrate this? I did this earlier, had a jam and preferred the feel.
No, putting your capo on the 1st fret will not simulate the tension thicker strings will provide.
The capo won't do it and the tuning up won't do it properly. The only thing you are doing by tuning to F is increasing the tension, which is similar to a thicker gauge in respects to string bending. It does not factor in the change in actual thickness of the strings, which give a different feel to the fingers.
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
Quote by sfedf1
The capo won't do it and the tuning up won't do it properly. The only thing you are doing by tuning to F is increasing the tension, which is similar to a thicker gauge in respects to string bending. It does not factor in the change in actual thickness of the strings, which give a different feel to the fingers.

How it felt for bending was my main concern as I like to do a lot of big bends, like 3rds.
If your current string gauge feels good, why do you think you'd need to change it?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
If your current string gauge feels good, why do you think you'd need to change it?

Improve tone.

But some times I feel they are a little light for me.

But when I said it felt good I meant the tension when doing bends with the capo on the first fret.
Quote by jkielq91
Improve tone.

But some times I feel they are a little light for me.

But when I said it felt good I meant the tension when doing bends with the capo on the first fret.

Well what is your current gauge?

I use 11s which are pretty thick, but easy to get used to.

Also going up in string gauge is going to need to have your guitar adjusted for them with neck relief and if you are using a tremolo then adjusting that aswell.