Hey everyone! I'm a beginner and have been playing on a classical Yamaha. But I'm buying an acoustic and I'm stuck between two Fenders, either a GA-45s or a CD-60ce. Both are priced at about $300. Any advice? Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place!
Last edited by FoxyMulder at Feb 25, 2012,
the question is..... do you believe??? i mean have you tried them both out? personally i think that in keeping with your name, you should get a Martin X-series
I want to believe.

And Yes I've tried them both, the GA-45s sounded a little brighter and a bit better, but I can't find anything about it online really, only that it's normally $400-$700. The CD-60CE comes with a case and feels very comfortable. I can't afford a Martin.

This is probably a stupid question, but when it comes to rock (Foo Fighters, Rise Against, Led Zeppelin etc.) do you think one guitar is more suited to that type of music than the other?
: not really. ... although i probably wouldn't try to play rise against on a mandolin! everything is relative to how you percieve the sound to be. you played 'em both, which one "called" to you more? i'm fortunate enough to have a few guitars for different things. some are better at fingerpicking, some for strumming.(some just because they're a cool color... mostly its the pretty colors 'cause i suck at playin' 'em! JK) i prefer the bassier guitars as i like more A7X and 5FDP kinda stuff. i do have one thats a lot brighter than i'm comfortable with(wont name it cranky ) bottom line is only you know which one you liked better.
Ok, thanks a lot! I made up my mind I'm gonna get the cd-60ce tomorrow, super pumped!
good luck foxy and i hopr you find your sister soon!! don't forget to post a new guitar day so we can enjoy it also.
Just some back story. Musician's Friend lists the GA45s as being discontinued: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-ga-45sce-grand-auditorium-acoustic-electric-guitar-cutaway

zZounds lists the CD-60 CE @ $269.00 w/case in 3 colors: http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0961536

Fender acoustics tend toward being fairly bright. Plus, they ship them with "brass" strings (80/20 alloy). This makes them brighter still.

This is probably a stupid question, but when it comes to rock (Foo Fighters, Rise Against, Led Zeppelin etc.) do you think one guitar is more suited to that type of music than the other?
In the studio, so much signal processing and so many effects are used, along with perhaps very expensive guitars, you really shouldn't force a comparison on yourself such as, can I sound like band "X". At least until you get a full grasp on the engineering side of music. Do the best you can with what you have. If you start to pigeonhole yourself, you'll be saying things like, "I can't attempt any of the "Byrds" music, because I don't own a Rickenbacker 12 string electric. Self defeating, is this. (Said Yoda). BTW, Jimmy Page resorts to the 12 string acoustic quite often. So, resign yourself to the fact your new Fender isn't going to sound like many of Zeppelin's acoustic songs. No matter, carry on.

I own a Fender Sonoran SCE, and it's quite bright. Even the preamp is bright. Bright guitars are a mixed blessing, and I'm trying to tame my Fender with a swap to phosphor bronze strings. Other than just a little annoyance from the ,(IMO). slightly excessive brightness, I'm pretty happy with this guitar. Good luck with yours.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 2, 2012,
I got the CD-60CE, it's awesome!

Yes, Captain, I should keep that in mind. Are Led Zeppelin songs difficult to learn? What do you mean step, by a new guitar day? Is that a thread? Thanks for all your help guys.

And my sister died in 79, hopefully I'll find one her clones as a substitute.
Last edited by FoxyMulder at Mar 4, 2012,
when you get a new guitar, members post a new thread celebrating it! take some pics of it and post 'em so we can see it too. let us know what you think of it( the highs and lows of it). all of here are guitar addicts... if you get a new guitar, post pics so that we can get our "fix" too.
Quote by FoxyMulder
I got the CD-60CE, it's awesome!
Congratulations, enjoy!

Quote by FoxyMulder
Yes, Captain, I should keep that in mind. Are Led Zeppelin songs difficult to learn?
If you're in the US, there's 10+ pages of tabs for Zep here at UG: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=led+zeppelin&search_type=title Including about 30 versions of "Stairway".... That's to be expected I suppose.

Jimmy Page is a well rounded player. He's know for his metal, but is also an accomplished acoustic player, with plenty of material in alternate tunings, and using slides. A couple of "easy" songs spring to mind, "Thank You, & "Tangerine", where he's just strumming away in the key of G, but....(wait for it)....., They're played on the acoustic 12 string...

Anyway, I think I heard that Led Zeppelin tabs are blocked in the UK. So, possibly no joy if you're checking in from England.

That notwithstanding, a Google search for "Led Zeppelin complete songbook", netted a huge response... https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=led+zeppelin+complete+songbook&oq=Led+zeppelin+complete&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=3603l14788l0l19623l25l25l2l10l10l0l195l1524l5.8l13l0

Quote by FoxyMulder
What do you mean step, by a new guitar day? Is that a thread? Thanks for all your help guys.
Yep, that's a thread, "NGD" threads, for short, and you get one for every new guitar you buy!

As silly as it sounds, there might be rules to be followed in posting them. Pictures of YOUR guitar, a brief review, and perhaps a recording.

I don't really care about the format of these things. I read it the other day, can't remember where, and can't find it again anyhoo...

If anybody actually does know, it would be "Patticake". Well her, or "Captivate".

(Before anybody takes exception to this, I ran across these "rules" the other day. I thought I'd pass them along. My first reaction actually was, "hm, there's actually rules for an NGD thread... , in an abundantly uncaring observation ).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 4, 2012,
Thanks for tabs! I still gotta figure out how to read them, everyone says it's easy, but it's a bit confusing to me. I'd love to learn Tangerine though, one of my faves. Ah, I think the NGD thread might be a bit out of my league at this point
Quote by FoxyMulder
Thanks for tabs! I still gotta figure out how to read them, everyone says it's easy, but it's a bit confusing to me.
Me too. I actually do better at reading music, although I'm far from stellar at either one.
Quote by FoxyMulder
Ah, I think the NGD thread might be a bit out of my league at this point
I was afraid something like this would happen if I mentioned, "rules". Basically, you just need a couple of pictures. You can either upload very small .jpg files directly to this site or, if you have an account with a photo sharing site, you would hotlink the images into your post, using the "add image" function above. (The little "envelope" icon).

Post back if you need a more detailed explanation on that process.

"Flickr" springs to mind as a free image client, but I'm not certain if they allow hot linking.