found a 5150 iii mini the other day. it sounds really, REALLY good but it doesn't feel quite right. anyone played through one of these before? thoughts about it? too loud? too much gain? i can get one with a 2x12 cab for around $1200 AUD. it would help a lot with other people's opinions.
Quote by jackson4321
found a 5150 iii mini the other day. it sounds really, REALLY good but it doesn't feel quite right. anyone played through one of these before? thoughts about it? too loud? too much gain? i can get one with a 2x12 cab for around $1200 AUD. it would help a lot with other people's opinions.

Care to explain?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I own one and it's a good amp. The sustain is really nice and there's enough gain to do whatever you'd like. If just want some good dirt the clean channel with the gain turned up will do the job. Channel 2 is the best part of the amp, really nice plexi-type sounds there. I have the 1x12 cab and it's really loud. I've only had the volume up to about 10:30 or 11. I've heard it really opens up after 12. I have an infant here at home, so I can only turn it up when my wife takes him with her on errands. The cleans are good, not great. Headphone jack and FX loop/footswitch are excellent.
EBMM Axis Black Cherry Burst
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
Just bought the 50 watt 5150 III...it's amazing. Got a 6505+ 112, but the notes just weren't saturated with gain. I was so excited to get that amp, but then so disappointed that I needed to use an overdrive pedal to achieve the sound that I wanted. Thought it was the combo, so I returned it planning to get a 6505 or 6505+ head. Ran the Peaveys next to the EVH heads (both 50 and 100 watt) and the EVH destroyed the Peavey. Beautiful thick and articulate gain. Nice cleans. I was blown away. Got the 50 watt plus the 2x12 cabinet with the hope that one day I'll get the 100 watt and 4x12 (although we ran the 50 through the EVH 4x12...BRUTAL!!!). These are amazing amps...everything I was looking for but could never find. Heavy? If they're good enough for Whitechapel and Revocation, they're good enough for me.
Last edited by clintm at May 26, 2012,
Yeah you will have to elaborate a little more on what didn't feel right... they have received very positive reviews, I'm dying to try one!

Quote by jackson4321
i can get one with a 2x12 cab for around $1200 AUD.

That seems very cheap, where can you get a deal like that?
So, $1200 with a cab.... in Australia... and you're on the fence?? I don't get it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Why haven't you bought it yet? That's a great deal.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
For reals. If I could get one of those amps with the 212 cab for $1200 in the US, I'd probably be scrambling to sell off some other stuff to grab it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Sure, it figures that these are in stores everywhere but here in the US...

We have to order one, then wait who knows how long to get it, just to try one.

I too would like to know what doesn't feel right about it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by zero

That seems very cheap, where can you get a deal like that?

I would also like to know this..
Quote by gregs1020
Sure, it figures that these are in stores everywhere but here in the US...

We have to order one, then wait who knows how long to get it, just to try one.

I too would like to know what doesn't feel right about it.

Because it's not a stack and it's not Br00tlz enough for him.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Because it's not a stack and it's not Br00tlz enough for him.

Yeah, a 6505 is like.... 1355 more than a 5150. Clearly more Br00t
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Quote by jpatan

TS - what wasn't feeling right? was it a white one?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

TS - what wasn't feeling right? was it a white one?

INQUIRING MINDS HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by geetar_man0
.....I just want to know where this deal is so I can go and buy it!

Yep - TS, link or it didn't happen!
You guys realize this thread is 4 months old, right?

Quote by jpatan

True, but you gotta remember, this is a 5150 III, so that means that there's 3 5150s, ie:

5150 + 5150 + 5150 = 15450

So...

15450 - 6505 = 8945 better.

Something seems wrong here. There's no way the 6505 could ever be better. Clearly the 5150 III has to be way more awesome, just look at those numbers, it's over twice as good!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
You guys realize this thread is 4 months old, right?

God damn it!
I was about to go buy one for $1300!

....But I guess I still am.....That deal seemed too good to be true....
Do it! In addition to working on a metal project, I used it live filling in with a wedding band this last weekend (everything from the Mavericks to Elvis to AC/DC). The 5150III handled everything...it was the best my guitar has ever sounded. Regarding what did 't feel right about the 6505...it seemed to have too much sizzle on top and not enough saturation right through the notes. The 5150III is just soaked in gain. Very easy to dial in a great sound.