I've been playing guitar (mostly acoustic) and bass for a few years. I absolutely love playing both instruments. I prefer playing bass in a band setting and acoustic solo. I feel like in my playing level I am at a stand still. I have noticed my dexterity increase greatly over time in my bass playing. (A goal of mine has been to play Geddy's part in YYZ. Maybe that's far off, but I'm getting closer!) However, I have a hard time finding music/exercises to play that are beneficial to me as a player. I'm not necessarily looking for music to practice that is fast, but something that will benefit me both technique wise and creatively. I understand a lot of this comes over time, but I'd like to develop a schedule that would help me progress to becoming an overall better player. I'm at a similar place on acoustic as well. I understand chords, scales, arpeggios, how they work, etc., but once again, I can't seem to figure how to better myself as a player.

Sorry if this post is a bit long and vague, but feeling like you're not progressing as a musician is a very annoying place to be. I'm interested in putting in the time and effort to further develop myself, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
If you've got a song you want to learn and you aren't good enough yet to play it, the best exercise is the passage(s) that give(s) you trouble.
^ That

And to improve in scales, chords and arpeggios just practice them. For example find short and long arpeggios all around the fretboard and get familiar with the shapes, while still remembering what notes you're playing. And create an etude kinda thing to practice, that sounds good and is fun to play.

And actually practice scales, but not too much just up-down after you've memorized the pattern (Again..without forgetting to think of the note names.. ) start to mix it up; for example when you have 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-1, play 1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5-3-4.... etc. Or maybe 1-3-4-5 2-4-5-6.. etc. Just make these up.
Last edited by Unrelaxed at Feb 26, 2012,