I've working on speed picking for quite a while but I still can't get it down.
I can play couple measures with no problem but when I'm doing an exercise or a long phrase with fast picking, mostly forearm tends to build up tension to a point where I can't pick anymore. I wish that someone can help me out.
Slow things down, see if it still happens.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
i don't get that problem on slow tempo, I start to feel a lot of tension above 120bpm
Then slowly increase the speed until you notice you begin to tense up, then see what you're doing differently.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Relax your picking arm. If you can't at that tempo, practice at a lower tempo and work up to that point where you start to get tense. Are your picking strokes getting larger there along with the tension? Are you switching from using your wrist to the forearm? Really pay attention to those things. I find that tension happens for me when I can't keep using small, economical picking strokes. The solution is to slow down to some ludicrously slow tempo and start to work my way up again, making sure to emphasize small, economical strokes.