Poll: Is file sharing stealing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is file sharing stealing?
Yes
59 42%
No
83 58%
Voters: 142.
Page 1 of 4
If you download something from a site like filestube or mediafire, would you consider that stealing?
Last edited by HowSoonisNow at Feb 25, 2012,
If you manage to download from megaupload then you're a genius, not a thief.

And no.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
^what's up with the daisies, blake?
Quote by JayT44

nice

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by HowSoonisNow
If you download something from a site like megaupload or mediafire, would you consider that stealing?

I've downloaded original content from those sites in the past, whose creators had stored it there for convenience. So just being on one of those sites is NEVER inherently stealing.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Todd Hart
If you manage to download from megaupload then you're a genius, not a thief.

And no.

Damn I didn't even know they went under
Quote by moscaespañol
^what's up with the daisies, blake?

nice

same thing as last time. i am one now.

That picture is biased, though.
Is this the same thread we've seen turn into a steaming pile of pre-shoveled bull shit a thousand times on every forum in existence?

Poll incoming.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
File Sharing isn't illegal. That's a generalization people make foolishly - there's plenty of legal media you can get from filesharing. Linux distributions, freeware, music artists publish for free *CoughShamelessplugCoughCough*, etc. It's a legal tool often used for illegal purposes, but it's still legal, and still used legally plenty.

So with the question being asked, no, I wouldn't call downloading something from the mentioned sites automatically stealing. More specifics are needed.

Also inb4ragefest
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Getting an artist's work for free w/o his or her consent would be stealing if that answers your question.

Well we know how the government feels about this. I feel a little bad for the creators of megaupload, it sounds like they're gonna get ****ed up the ass real hard for this.
No, it's sharing.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by HowSoonisNow
Well we know how the government feels about this. I feel a little bad for the creators of megaupload, it sounds like they're gonna get ****ed up the ass real hard for this.

Quote by brownshirt1
Fuck the police.

They are not amused by your flagrant disregard, sir.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
The real question at hand happens to be: is stealing file sharing?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by JayT44
fail.jpg

This is some crappy logic that operates on the assumption that physical concepts are no different from digital concepts, which is false.

The real loss that stems from theft isn't in the property as an entity being removed. It's in the value that exists through the consumption and usage of that property. Stupid pictures like that are kindergarten oversimplifications of this issue.

In both physical and digital realms, what's really being paid for is the consumption of the product or idea. So yes, even though a digital file is not removed, merely copied, this isn't the point of theft. The point of theft is when the people who consume and use products without paying.

I am going to be honest and say that yes, I do steal on occasions, especially when I can circumvent some barriers of entries for things. It's not something that's good and I pay when I can. I'm not going to bullshit my way out of this by using shitty justifications like that picture.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by darkstar2466
The real question at hand happens to be: is stealing file sharing?

Indeed.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Stupid pictures like that are kindergarten oversimplifications of this issue.

That's the joke.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Xiaoxi
This is some crappy logic that operates on the assumption that physical concepts are no different from digital concepts, which is false.

The real loss that stems from theft isn't in the property as an entity being removed. It's in the value that exists through the consumption and usage of that property. Stupid pictures like that are kindergarten oversimplifications of this issue.

In both physical and digital realms, what's really being paid for is the consumption of the product or idea. So yes, even though a digital file is not removed, merely copied, this isn't the point of theft. The point of theft is when the people who consume and use products without paying.

I am going to be honest and say that yes, I do steal on occasions, especially when I can circumvent some barriers of entries for things. It's not something that's good and I pay when I can. I'm not going to bullshit my way out of this by using shitty justifications like that picture.

Bro, it was already covered.

Quote by blake1221

That picture is biased, though.

See?
Yes it is.
I maybe might IDK do it daily but i stll understand it's wrong.
The real question is: does arguing the semantics of the word "theft" count as a legitimate argument for piracy?

I don't give a shit about people downloading music and films. I just get annoyed at the moral high ground these people seem to try and build themselves.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Xiaoxi

This logic assumes that if the person hadn't pirated that product then they would have bought it - and this being the case it cannot be written off as a 'lost sale'. I know that many of the bands I have on my laptop and now love, have bought merchandise from and have bought tickets for, I never would have listened to if I hadn't pirated their music.

And the 'consummation without purchase' concept doesn't hold too much water either, as everyone does this constantly. Listening to a friend's CD is illegal by this idea, overhearing someone playing music loud in the car is, watching a film with someone using a single DVD would be, watching someone play a game would be, playing a one-console multiplayer game that belongs to someone else would be. The point works in a vacuum, but is completely illogical in reality.
Quote by Todd Hart
This logic assumes that if the person hadn't pirated that product then they would have bought it - and this being the case it cannot be written off as a 'lost sale'. I know that many of the bands I have on my laptop and now love, have bought merchandise from and have bought tickets for, I never would have listened to if I hadn't pirated their music.

And the 'consummation without purchase' concept doesn't hold too much water either, as everyone does this constantly. Listening to a friend's CD is illegal by this idea, overhearing someone playing music loud in the car is, watching a film with someone using a single DVD would be, watching someone play a game would be, playing a one-console multiplayer game that belongs to someone else would be. The point works in a vacuum, but is completely illogical in reality.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Xiaoxi

The point of theft is when people consume and use products without PERMISSION or compensation. Permission is a huge factor there. Saying that consuming a product without paying for it is damning everyone who ever took a can of soda from their buddy's fridge without comping them for it, which is just silly since you're arguing principle here.

As far as whether or not I personally download music, I'll do it to see if I like the album. If I like it, I'll buy it when I get paid. If I don't, I delete it and they wouldn't have gotten my money anyway.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by entity0009
The real question is: does arguing the semantics of the word "theft" count as a legitimate argument for piracy?

I don't give a shit about people downloading music and films. I just get annoyed at the moral high ground these people seem to try and build themselves.

WAAAAAAHHHHH YOU'RE STEALING MY SHIT ONLINE. WAAAAAHHHHHH IMA TELL ON YOUUUU.

That's what it sounds like when people play that whole moral high ground card.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Todd Hart

This a million times.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Haven't you seen that commercial before DVD's?
جورجيا الاباحى؟ أيها
Quote by Todd Hart

2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Talk Box
Haven't you seen that commercial before DVD's?

WOULD YOU DOWNLOAD A CAR?!?!?

WOULD YOU?!

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
WOULD YOU DOWNLOAD A CAR?!?!?

WOULD YOU?!

I would if I could.
Quote by Todd Hart
I would if I could.

I've got my eye on you.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by darkstar2466
WAAAAAAHHHHH YOU'RE STEALING MY SHIT ONLINE. WAAAAAHHHHHH IMA TELL ON YOUUUU.

That's what it sounds like when people play that whole moral high ground card.

I think he is talking about the people who are trying to 'stick it to the labels', or feel they have some justification for downloading.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
All the filesharing I have done has only served to make me spend more money on music.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by palm mute
I think he is talking about the people who are trying to 'stick it to the labels', or feel they have some justification for downloading.

Ah, I thought he was talking about the other side, like what Todd Hart mentioned. The lost sales argument is complete bullshit because everyone knows that physical goods like CDs, vinyl, shirts, hoodies, and posters is where the shit's at, and everyone wants that anyway. If I am better connected with a band because I happened to listen to an album that I really liked from a mediafire download, then fuck, I'm more than likely to go buy their next album on CD because I like having physical CDs whenever possible. I got stuck with Tyr's Land album that way. Buzzkill of an album, but its predecessor was so good that I had to go buy Land to see what it was like.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Todd Hart
This logic assumes that if the person hadn't pirated that product then they would have bought it
No it doesn't.

I know that many of the bands I have on my laptop and now love, have bought merchandise from and have bought tickets for, I never would have listened to if I hadn't pirated their music.
This is the single most asinine fallback argument. Theft of any kind is inherently promotional in nature. Naturally, if the product is good, regardless of whether you paid for it or not, you will like the brand more. While piracy removes the risk of a bad investment and could potentially drive sales based on previous experience, the point still stands that this initial product wasn't paid for, even though it is intended as a point of sales, not free promotional material. The key here is the intention. But in reality, this scenario is extremely weak. Many people who pirate have a habit of keep pirating; yes, you enjoyed this initial product by this company, and now you will enjoy the next one again without paying. And even in the band specific scenario, you didn't compensate everyone who played a role in the production.

Listening to a friend's CD is illegal by this idea, overhearing someone playing music loud in the car is, watching a film with someone using a single DVD would be, watching someone play a game would be, playing a one-console multiplayer game that belongs to someone else would be. The point works in a vacuum, but is completely illogical in reality.
Yes, ideas are not physically tangible so it's much easier to be distributed around for consumption without any intention of piracy. But in all of those instances, they work on the principal of borrowing, of course not in the physical sense. But to download the file itself, with the ability to access it at any time on your own, oversteps that boundary. If you don't own a TV because you're constantly at your friend's house watching his TV, you didn't steal anything. Sharing a movie or song in that same context is no different.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 4