So that's the question. How has playing guitar/music effected your life?

For me, I know that I was not in the best environment growing up. I could have easily been lead down I guess you'd call "the wrong path" drugs, alcohol at a young age, etc. etc. You get the point.

But that one day I tried guitar I knew I had a passion. I started playing everyday and that kept me centered even in the worst situations. Playing was my main source of happiness in those days, and even through thick and thin I could still use music to cure my depression and feel better. I'm glad I picked up guitar, because if I didn't I could be dead.

What about you guys? Has playing music significantly effected your life or is it just a hobby? If so, how?

(Favorite guitar player, not the best role model but best role model for guitar playing! lol)
- The wrong path is the right path.
- Affected is the word you were looking for in this usage.
- Playing music allows a channel for me to express whatever joy, frustration, and spontaneity I feel, so it is an invaluable part of my life.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
When I was like 14, word got around that I could play guitar and even to this day people I knew from back then always ask me if I still play. All I could play were power chords and do a little finger tapping but people acted like I was Eddie Van Halen or something. Unfortunately as you get older, fewer and fewer people care if you can play an instrument.

And as long as we're posting our heroes:
Last edited by HowSoonisNow at Feb 25, 2012,
It hasn't. At least not in any obvious way.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
I got clean the moment I picked up a guitar.
جورجيا الاباحى؟ أيها
Right now it hasn't exactly done a whole lot, other than giving me something to do at home. As soon as I'm in a full band and we can actually begin doing stuff then I can definitely see it making an effect.
West Ham United
It's made it noisier.

That's pretty much it.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Talk Box
I got clean the moment I picked up a guitar.

Thats awesome man.......can't say playing guitar is a sobering activity for everyone....case in point, every good musician from the 70's lol

But when it does get people clean it's very good
It changed my life. I have a song on the internet. Do you know how many muthafukas use the internet?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
well, man. my life has gotten so much deeper man. like, i like... see the beauty in all things man. and when i, like, pick up a guitar, it ****in sings to me and shit.
It's helped me channel my emotions a lot better than I probably would have if I didn't play. It also helps me feel better whenever I'm upset. I also love the feeling of knowing I'm good at something.

It's probably lead me down some paths I may not have taken though. I've done a lot of drugs in the short time I've been around on this planet, some of which being a musician definitely did influence. I probably never would have went to half the parties I did if my band wasn't asked to play them, I probably never would have started doing acid or shrooms if it weren't for being in a psychedelic influenced band, shit like that.

But overall, its a very positive aspect of my life. Being a musician definitely helps define who I am.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It changed my life. I have a song on the internet. Do you know how many muthafukas use the internet?

Those internets are getting pretty popular...........
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Like a pillion?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Still sticking to your character after two years? Dedication.
West Ham United
instead of fapping I got tapping
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Quote by caeser1156
It's helped me channel my emotions a lot better than I probably would have if I didn't play. It also helps me feel better whenever I'm upset. I also love the feeling of knowing I'm good at something.

It's probably lead me down some paths I may not have taken though. I've done a lot of drugs in the short time I've been around on this planet, some of which being a musician definitely did influence. I probably never would have went to half the parties I did if my band wasn't asked to play them, I probably never would have started doing acid or shrooms if it weren't for being in a psychedelic influenced band, shit like that.

But overall, its a very positive aspect of my life. Being a musician definitely helps define who I am.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Look at what the Beatles did when they were on drugs. They made Sgt Pepper. Pink Floyd made Dark Side of the Moon. Jimi Hendrix made his whole discography. The list goes on.
Quote by King Donkey

this
جورجيا الاباحى؟ أيها
Quote by King Donkey

this nigga's alright
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Actually, on seconds thoughts, if I had never started guitar I wouldn't have discovered UG. If it wasn't for UG I would just be completely wasting away in my bedroom, instead I can just come here and have a laugh. The Pit has never failed to cheer me up when I feel terrible.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
Actually, on seconds thoughts, if I had never started guitar I wouldn't have discovered UG. If it wasn't for UG I would just be completely wasting away in my bedroom, instead I can just come here and have a laugh. The Pit has never failed to cheer me up when I feel terrible.

Same. I rarely even come here for music related purposes. I have been using the internet since I was 14 and have never ever seen a forum as entertaining as the pit.
Quote by HowSoonisNow
Same. I rarely even come here for music related purposes. I have been using the internet since I was 14 and have never ever seen a forum as entertaining as the pit.

It's almost like a 4chan that is tame, friendly and you don't feel dirty for using it.

EDIT: So I guess it's nothing like 4chan.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by soundgarden1986
I found something that I really enjoy doing. Playing shows and writing songs that people like is pretty awesome too. My biggest musical influence isn't know for his playing at all, but without him I wouldn't want to do what I do now.

(Invalid img)

I agree, Cornell is boss
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by King Donkey
It's almost like a 4chan that is tame, friendly and you don't feel dirty for using it.

It still has the insanely unorganized, off topic feel to it, and it still has posts as absolutely ridiculous and entertaining as 4chan does though.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by King Donkey

It could be worse. It could be Gaiaonline.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
In so many ways. Too many ways that i can't be bothered talking ab
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
It hasn't too deeply. It's a passion of mine. It's fun. I enjoy doing it. I enjoy writing my own songs. But really, I'd probably just be more boring without it.

Edit:
Oh, also...Steve Vai. Yes. Amazing player. One of my influences. Word.
(Invalid img)
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Feb 25, 2012,
Made me decent at something, and gave me away to express myself
It's made me poorer.
Yet richer.
How zen.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer

Guitar has been the main focus of my life since I was 12, I just wish I could play music with other people
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If God didn't want people to be gay why did he put a G spot in our asses?