I have a pile of parts in front of me crying out for assembly. Might as well get down to it. How many bass pedals do you guys think a gear-building noob like myself can build in a month?

Six. The answer is six. Let's add some primer to these bad boys--three in white for regular light finishes, three in black for some experimental finishes that need a little weight behind them.

The black primer enclosures are hard to see, probably because my pedal-building fuel makes it difficult for me to make good photographic judgments:

So here's a close up of one of the units:

Which probably needs another coat after it dries.

If you doubt how awesomely nerdy I am, let me add to my rum-filled Saturday night, the background viewing I play while working on pedals:

When I am someday celebrated for my pedal assembly and enclosure design, let it be known that watching Star Trek on Netflix in a dingy basement was my muse.

Paint is drying. I'll start doing the real finishes tomorrow.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 25, 2012,
Ok, design is done, clear coat is next, then some soldering. I'm usually pretty bad at any kind of visual art, so I'm pretty darn pleased with the results of this evening. I took the "do whatever grabs my fancy at a given moment" approach to these finishes.

First, two metallic faux marble enclosures for Woolly Mammoth Clones:

Hopefully they'll look much more metallic and the contrast with the black paint will be stronger after they dry.

Next, my toothpick minimalism for a couple bazz fuss circuits crammed into an enclosure:

Enclosure for my DIY Deviever twin. I have some cool purple knobs to match:

GGG brassmaster kit? Pfffft. I'm making a Goldmaster:

And a GGG lpb clone kit with some extras--looks like I spilled some ink... and a metric ton of glitter:
Very cool, is all this for personal use? Are you making all this from "scratch" or buying kits?

I wish I had the time and money to make a good bass fuzz.
The devi ever, Brassmaster, and LPB are all from kits. The brassmaster will just be stock, but the devi will have a few switches thrown in (plus just the fact that the OK and SM will be wired together, I don't think there's an existing twin like that) and the LPB will have more extra mod parts than original circuit components.

I'm building the Mammoth clones and dual bazz fuss from scratch. The WMs will be stock, the bazz fuss is going to be an odd creature and I haven't settled on all the details yet. I'll keep everyone up to date in this thread as I build each.

They're all for personal use (I have waaaaay too many pedals but can't stop collecting). I'm making two woolly mammoths, so I might send one to a buddy, or just keep them for a couple different applications.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 27, 2012,
love the neuron looking fuzz.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I'm making two woolly mammoths, so I might send one to a buddy, or just keep them for a couple different applications.

I'm that buddy right?
Hell yes!!!

We need more pedal build threads!!

My record stands at 3 pedals in one month... all BYOC builds... A Triangle Muff (The Large Beaver), A super Tubescreamer (Overdrive 2), and a Rat clone (The Mouse).

Any non-dirt pedal i've done has taken me a bit... I've learned to just walk away [via-Humongous' voice from 'Road Warrior'] when i get frustrated. Haha, i think with all the walking away, my Analogue Delay took about 2 months

I can't wait to see how they turn out!! We need video!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I -ed at the large beaver
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Din of Win
Hell yes!!!

Any non-dirt pedal i've done has taken me a bit... I've learned to just walk away [via-Humongous' voice from 'Road Warrior'] when i get frustrated. Haha, i think with all the walking away, my Analogue Delay took about 2 months

I can't wait to see how they turn out!! We need video!

I agree, I've only fixed my broken stuff, but looked at a lot of schematics and it's amazing what goes into some seemingly simple pedals. Hats off to whoever invented an analogue delay or octave pedal.

And I agree a video would be nice, especially for people like me with very little money. I see people like din here who have owned every pedal made and I am envious because I don't have nearly the active musician lifestyle or money to try expensive pedals or let alone build one. So to hear a few builds might be incentive to try and make one.

I'll admit I really just want to paint and create cases
Clearcoat is done, though that's not exciting enough for photos. I did trade in a bunch of extra crap around my basement today for a pile of pedals:

More fuzz with that Swollen Pickle, and I can have some fun modding the TR-2 as well. Picked up a new breadboard for prototyping too!
Quote by dullsilver_mike

More fuzz with that Swollen Pickle, and I can have some fun modding the TR-2 as well. Picked up a new breadboard for prototyping too!

How do you like the pickle on bass? Also what are you planning on modding on the TR-2?
The pickle is pretty hard to use. You can get some really great sounds out of it, but I'm still trying to figure out just how to tweak it.

My overall impression with bass is that if you set it for full bass and mid response, most of the breakup takes place in the higher frequencies. If you want the lower frequencies to get really nasty, then you pretty much have to engage the mid scoop. When you set it for a ton of bass and mids and max distortion, it almost sounds like there's a clean blend (or a less-dirty blend anyway) for the lows.

It's not going to replace my GGG muff on my board even with the increased tweakability, but I'm happy to add it to the collection for whenever it might come in handy.

I don't know what tremolo mods I'll do if I decide to do any at all. Probably the usual volume drop correction. I'll look around and see if there's anything fun to do with it--I know it's a pretty popular mod platform, so that's why I picked it up. I tried the BF-2 because so many people sing its praises for bass--set subtly, they're absolutely right, I don't think it will need any mods at all.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 29, 2012,
Hmmm so it would seem to get a good bass fuzz you really can't escape that mid cut.

I'd read some forums maybe email boss, cause they did a correction to the volume. Also, I was going to buy the pedal but didn't and remember people saying it's hard to get an exact volume with a trem for some reason anyways.

I recently tried a flanger on bass, but I find I like chorus more. The flanger sound is just too consistent, it didn't sound so much like my notes had changed, just a weird whir was placed over them. This was a late 80's early 90's rack mount so could be unique to the unit though...
I've modded a TR-2! Well... i've sent MINE in TO get modded, haha.

It really is a great pedal... but the volume drop is wiggity whack.

I got it Keeley modded... http://www.robertkeeley.com/manuals/tr_2_tremolo.pdf

There are schematics out there, if you feel like tackling it yourself.

You COULD wire in an Expression Pedal jack... Exp Pedal controlled Tremolo = DIY Dubstep wobbles... if you're into that sort of thing.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Just finished the GGG Brass Master. That thing is an absolute beast--total pain the ass to wire though. I'm getting less excited about wiring so many pots and switches into the other pedals. At least they won't be quite so tightly crammed, plus I suppose the practice is good for me.

The orange LED was a very good idea:
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 2, 2012,
Ive been tempted in trying one of the BYOC kits. Im just not the best person in the world with the type of gun acquired to build it. Is there any cheaper alternative kits out there? With the mess on the table you just seem to be the guy to ask.
Current Gear
Ibanez AGB200
Epiphone ET-280(with Dean Hillsboro Single guts and pup)
Epiphone EB-0

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien Krueger 410 MBE
MXR Fuzz Deluxe
MXR Analog Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby 105Q
Boss TU-2
That Goldmaster is begging for a newcastle sticker right in that open spot.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by J_Rust
Ive been tempted in trying one of the BYOC kits. Im just not the best person in the world with the type of gun acquired to build it. Is there any cheaper alternative kits out there? With the mess on the table you just seem to be the guy to ask.

generalguitargadgets.com has a nice variety of dirt simple circuits--lpb clone, mxr distortion, way huge red llama and a few more with very small parts count, and they're around $45 each for the simple stuff. I've bought a ton of stuff from that company, and would recommend some of those for a starter. You also want a wimpy little soldering iron instead of a gun (I just add that because you used the term "gun").

I know BYOC used to (and still may) have a starter kit for free when you order a first kit, and the fuzz face and green ringer are both really easy kits of theirs to start with if you feel intimidated.

I'd even recomend devi-ever's DIY kits if you're looking for cheap, but not for beginners. The circuits are incredibly simple, but you have to buy the enclosures, pots, jacks, and switches separately and they don't come with step-by-step instructions. They are dirt cheap though if you already have something to function as an enclosure and some extra jacks and pots lying around.

Quote by the humanity
That Goldmaster is begging for a newcastle sticker right in that open spot.

It certainly does need something there--I'll have to contemplate this a little bit. I'll get clips up too whenever I get tired of actually building and want to do something else for a change of pace.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 4, 2012,
Thanks I appreciate the information, I do have a iron and not a gun. Now its time to figure out where to start. Be nice to build a fuzz to replace my MXR Deluxe Fuzz, not because I dont like it, hell I hardly turn the thing off. To be able to have a pedal on my board that I BUILT and one that I USE.
Current Gear
Ibanez AGB200
Epiphone ET-280(with Dean Hillsboro Single guts and pup)
Epiphone EB-0

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien Krueger 410 MBE
MXR Fuzz Deluxe
MXR Analog Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby 105Q
Boss TU-2
What does the GGG do?

I'll have to check those sites out, I got a ton of soldering and wiring equipment, and live less than an hour from Mouser and Frys electronics.

Just need my dad to teach me a bit, but this seems like a way to afford some pedals I am unable to.
Quote by J_Rust
Thanks I appreciate the information, I do have a iron and not a gun. Now its time to figure out where to start. Be nice to build a fuzz to replace my MXR Deluxe Fuzz, not because I dont like it, hell I hardly turn the thing off. To be able to have a pedal on my board that I BUILT and one that I USE.

You could always keep the fuzz and supplement it with an OD or boost if you need one of those occasionally instead (or even one to run into the fuzz to make it go clip crazy )

Quote by askrere
What does the GGG do?

I'll have to check those sites out, I got a ton of soldering and wiring equipment, and live less than an hour from Mouser and Frys electronics.

Just need my dad to teach me a bit, but this seems like a way to afford some pedals I am unable to.

GGG is just a kit site like BYOC--they have a wider selection than BYOC with more of the most commonly cloned simple pedals in their line up instead of some of the more complex, and rare clones byoc has. If you want to save money, you can pretty often get their easy dirt pedal kits for $45-$65. The only downside is there's no forum on their website, so troubleshooting and hunting down folks who have done mods can be a little more challenging.

Ok, finished my Devi Twin--went with an OK and a hybrid of SM/GZ. Behold the messiest wiring job ever (it matches the aesthetic and sound of the pedal though):

Now let me close it up and never again let the world see the bad job I did

The "mild" fuzz settings introduce more noise than I'd like, sounds pretty awesome when I really lay into it though. Strange and wonderful textures built out of that velcro decay.

On to the GGG CB1 kit!
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 4, 2012,
LPB clone is finished. I threw in an input cap switch--it doesn't make much of a difference, so I might change it to a tone control bypass. I added a muff-style tone control with a body knob.

Sounds good, breaks up a bit too much on bass and the passive tone control cuts my overall volume by a bit. I think it will shine more on guitar.
Nice work! Looks great.

If I wasn't so poor at practical things, I'd love to give something like this a shot. I am after a fuzz / dirt pedal too.
signature
Bleh, I need to start over my woolly mammoth attempt from scratch. It's so damn simple, I don't understand how I could screw it up, but I did--three times over, and after fixing everything imaginable I still am getting no signal when it's engaged.

Here's a pic of the Devi with LEDs engaged in case anyone didn't believe that absolutely everything about it was purple.

Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 16, 2012,
Ok, I've been prototyping Bazz Fuss variations. I think I'm starting to hone in on the exact sound I want; I should have some "intermediate" prototypes done in the next month.
Here are two housed BF attempts and a Zvex SHO clone:

Both bazz fuss have volume knobs, one has a gain knob and diode switch, the other has a rotary knob with 10 different diodes on it and an input cap switch to affect how much bass enters the circuit. It's really cool playing with such a simple circuit because small changes make a huge difference in sound. (Also, you know I used glow in the dark clear coat, so who even cares what the pedal sounds like?)

I also refinished a batch of Boss pedals that I've done mods on or am planning on modding here's the first one I've done a heavy set of bass mods for:

A little sloppy on both the drawing and the photos, but I'm a pretty sloppy guy, so that's ok. I think the finish itself is pretty cool by most standards though.