I really want to try and start learning more jazz guitar. I've dabbled in it a few times and tried learning common chord voicings and such by looking up the shapes. However, this always failed since even though I knew all these different chords, I couldn't ever get them to gel together. Now I understand the reason why is because I never took the learning into context. So I'm going to try again and was wondering what are some good basic jazz songs to start myself into the genre? And where can I go from there?
I would learn a few common jazz progressions.

Autumn Leaves is a good place to start. It's a jazz standard that almost every jazz guitarist knows and uses a common II-V-I progression. I love Bill Evans's version from "Portraits of Jazz".

Joe Pass has a popular rendition as well.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 25, 2012,
Definitely learn your arpeggios. scales are nice, but arpeggios, as well as tensions, allow you to play substantially more melodic leads (listen to guys like Pat Metheny, the man relies heavily on arpeggios and comes up with amazing stuff!).

I really found it helpful to analyze tunes. breaking down each note individually. For example, if a bar has a Gmaj7 chord played over it, figuring out which chord tone (or tension) every note in the bar is. it is a very tedious exercise, but I found my playing improved exponentially when I understood what was actually happening, when I understood what was being played in a technical sense. i particularly enjoyed learned 6 on 4 (wes montgomery) because its easy to play, but it is melodically quite impressive.

Also, check out songtrellis. they have jam tracks with chord charts. just jamming along to a track will help you flesh out ideas.
Alright thanks!
Are there any like good sites or books to learn more about the theory aspects of jazz so I can better analyze the music I'll be playing?
hal leonard berklee modern method for guitar (volumes 2/3) is really good. pretty in depth discussion about how things work
Also, know your triads and inversions like the back of your hand. They are useful for comping and arpeggiating for leads.

Another book that is good for most people are Jody Fisher's books. He does a really good job breaking things down and teaches in a very logical and straightforward way.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 26, 2012,