So i was looking into getting a Gibson Dove, but haven't really heard too many opinions about it...has anyone ever played or does anybody own one? If so, what's your opinion???
I've only played one at Guitar Center once, but it is beautiful, sound, looks and feel. If you can afford it go for it, but also check similar priced Martins first and see what you like best.
alright..thanks..may sound like kind of odd reason to want one, but i love Dave Grohl...and that's what he plays. Watching the videos he plays it in, it sounds incredible
Dave has the Elvis Presley Dove, and man it's a beauty. Since I'm not rich I bought an Epiphone Dove in black and changed it to a black pickguard like on the Elvis model. Nice!
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
this is one of those "everyone has their own preferences" things. i prefer the j45 to the hummingbird, but lots of really good players love the hummingbird - there's nothing wrong with it. i wouldn't really compare its sound to the martin sound myself.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
They sound nice but are over priced. I've played Epiphones and gibsons side by side, and the gibson didn't sound $1000 better. Also, laminated sides and backs are less prone to weather conditions. Although a solid top is a must. If you can find other brands to play you would get more for your money.
Quote by k.tripoli
They sound nice but are over priced. I've played Epiphones and gibsons side by side, and the gibson didn't sound $1000 better. Also, laminated sides and backs are less prone to weather conditions. Although a solid top is a must. If you can find other brands to play you would get more for your money.

Law of diminishing returns, my friend.

The more money you spend, the less the increase in quality becomes because you're paying for the extra bit of quality that makes it closer to "perfection". Not value.

As an example, lets think of two hotel chains... Marriott and the Four Seasons. The Marriott is probably around $150-200/night. Perfectly good accomodations and such. More than adequate for a good nights stay. Good facilities. Clean, Good service.

The Four Seasons, however, is at least $600/night. What are you paying for? Slightly better facilities, but the differentiation is the AMAZING customer service. The word "value" does not exist. Is it 3 to 4x better than the Marriott (its price certainly is)? No. It is meant to be a premium.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
That was my opinion of a Gibson guitar. There are many other brands other than Gibson. Some of which are closer to perfection than Gibson. I think a comparison between Honda or Yamaha and Harley Davidson would be more accurate.
The hummingbird is a beautiful looking guitar, but I must admit I'm not that fond of its sound. I think you pay a lot of money for what you get in comparison to other brands.

But if you like it, then go for it! To each their own.