Hey guys, n00b poster alert!

Recently I've been researching my guitars and I'm sure any guitar enthusiast will tell you that each one is unique and beautiful no matter where, or when it was made. Well, maybe not ANY guitar enthusiast, but this one should thinks so! I bought a few years ago a Gibson SG GT (Daytona Blue, 2007) from my local guitar shop, and I love it HEAPS :P

I'd been eyeing it off for about a year and no one seemed to want to buy it, then one day when I'd come into some money, I went in to the shop and bought it. I was surprised that no one else wanted it and asked the store owner "why"?. He told me it was unpopular because no one likes the idea of putting stripes on a guitar, but come on, really? Not only is this guitar the most technically brilliant guitar in my collection, but the GT stripes make it look awesome.

Due to it's unpopular reception, it seems it was only manufactured for 2 years, and then Gibson decided to discontinue this guitar. I guess I just bought it at the right time, but my main question, I guess, is just how uncommon and sought after is this guitar? I wouldn't want to sell it, but it seems that no one else does either because I can't find any for sale anywhere. Also, since it was only made for 2 years, how many of these were actually made? Of course I'd like to think I have a future rare classic, but for now I'd like to hear your opinions. The stats and pics are below:

Features:
~Mahogany body
~Set mahogany Classic '61 SG neck
~Bound ebony fretboard
~Push/pull pots for coil-tapped 490R & 498T humbuckers
~Locking metal button Grover® tuners
~Neutrik locking cable jack
~Dunlop strap locks
~Classic '61 SG neck
~Over/under dual truss rod for extra neck reinforcement
~Fully independent volume controls
~High pass tone filter maintains high frequencies at any volume setting
~Graph Tech nut

Really, what's not to love? :P

Cheers,

Jak
Attachments:
Headstocksg.jpg
Pickups.jpg
Body2.jpg
Body1.jpg
Body3.jpg
I honestly agree with Les Paul that SG's are a horrid sight to behold.

But, remember the most quoted line from the Wealth of Nations; everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it. If you can find a buyer, you can charge as much as they'd be willing to spend.
I want that tail piece!
My gear:
Yamaha f335 acoustic
Ibanezs ex 270
2003 mim strat
peavey xxl head through Marshall cab
Tama rockstar drum kit
I remember these, thought there were only about 2,000 or so made. Definitely one of the most unique SGs, but they attracted only a very narrow range of consumers. The whole hot rod/racing stripe/bridge scoop turns off a lot of guitarists, but I imagine theres gotta be collectors out there who'd love it. I think it looks kinda nice, although I could do without the bridge scoop. Either way, nice find!
Quote by acc_corey3
yo how much you paid for her?

lol, I bought it brand new and since it was in the shop so long, I talked him down to $1800.

Also, Les Paul didn't like the shape of the SG, I know that, which is why the SG exists, because he didn't want his name on it, but it is a much slimmer and lighter guitar. Also, you can split the humbuckers into single coil, I'd like to see your epiphone do that.

So much chrome is sexy. rawr.

cheers

Jak
Quote by Picklelerner
I remember these, thought there were only about 2,000 or so made. Definitely one of the most unique SGs, but they attracted only a very narrow range of consumers. The whole hot rod/racing stripe/bridge scoop turns off a lot of guitarists, but I imagine theres gotta be collectors out there who'd love it. I think it looks kinda nice, although I could do without the bridge scoop. Either way, nice find!

Hey, seriously only 2000? I wish I could find out exactly how many were actually made. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Cheers

Jak
Looks cool, I'd really like to have one of these one day.

They've become a bit more sought after lately since Michael Poulsen (Volbeat guitarist/vocalist) plays one as his main guitar.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Jakabo
lol, I bought it brand new and since it was in the shop so long, I talked him down to $1800.

Also, Les Paul didn't like the shape of the SG, I know that, which is why the SG exists, because he didn't want his name on it, but it is a much slimmer and lighter guitar. Also, you can split the humbuckers into single coil, I'd like to see your epiphone do that.

cheers

Jak

All of my guitars are equipped to do that, one has a set of Duncan P-Rails in it so that it can split down from Humbuckers to rails and P-90s, my Ultra II has a piezo pickup for acoustic emulation, my Pro/FX has splits and a floyd... They're heavier guitars, and I like the weight and shape.
Quote by Jakabo

cheers

Jak

Actually, from what I've seen it's more common for the epis to come equipped with splittable pickups than the gibbys, at least where I'm at.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
That bridge plate is hawt! Imagine if it was made of solid lightweight alloy. It will counter weight the neck dive of the SG and give the guitar so much more bridge mass for the sustain goodness. Oh man...!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
That bridge plate is hawt! Imagine if it was made of solid lightweight alloy. It will counter weight the neck dive of the SG and give the guitar so much more bridge mass for the sustain goodness. Oh man...!

Effectively making it more like a Les Paul.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Effectively making it more like a Les Paul.

I don't know about that hey. It doesn't feel like any les paul I've ever played. It's really well balanced and light. I'm not saying I don't like the feel of the les paul, lets be honest here, they're quite easily one of the best out there. In saying that, it's also not like any SG I've played. I don't know what it is about it, it just feels perfect when it's in your hands.

Gibson really took a gamble with this guitar, I guess I was just lucky.
Quote by Jakabo
I don't know about that hey. It doesn't feel like any les paul I've ever played. It's really well balanced and light. I'm not saying I don't like the feel of the les paul, lets be honest here, they're quite easily one of the best out there. In saying that, it's also not like any SG I've played. I don't know what it is about it, it just feels perfect when it's in your hands.

Gibson really took a gamble with this guitar, I guess I was just lucky.

i didn't mean it in that way. I meant it in the context that it wouldn't be so neck heavy and it have more sustain.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
i didn't mean it in that way. I meant it in the context that it wouldn't be so neck heavy and it have more sustain.

You can fix the neck dive by simply relocate the strap button. The sustain and tone of the les paul comes mostly from the body mass of wood. I think if the bridge was solid metal it would sustain in a quite different way. Perhaps less mid, more low and high range.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
You can fix the neck dive by simply relocate the strap button. The sustain and tone of the les paul comes mostly from the body mass of wood. I think if the bridge was solid metal it would sustain in a quite different way. Perhaps less mid, more low and high range.

Yeah. After all, teles sound the way they do because of this effect.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee