Looking for a new guitar, I feel it's time to go up a level from my Special X Mockingbird, think I've narrowed it down to these three.

I play a range of different styles, from Free to Megadeth.

If there's a better guitar in the price range let me know, but it CANNOT exceed £1000.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
There are a ton of guitars in that price range and the guitars you have listed out are all pretty different. Are there any specs that you prefer? Active vs passive pickups? Type of pickups: single coil, humbuckers or both? Neck width? Body shape? Wood type? Bridge type? 22 or 24 frets? Type of finish: gloss, satin? Controls: 1 or 2 volumes? 1 or 2 tones? Coil taps?

Give us some more info.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
That are some really diverse styles of guitars.
The JEM 555 is generally seen as a guitar you should stay away from, as it's not a "real" JEM. Are you looking at it just because it's a "Vai"-guitar? It might be better for you to check out the new JEM Premium guitar if you really want a Vai-guitar.

I know you'll hate this answer, but you really got to go out and try them yourself...they are just so different to eachother.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I wouldn't advice getting the JEM555 - it's just an overpriced RG. The Japanese made, high-end JEMs do justify their price by having superb parts, wood and build quality, but this one's just got the signature status pushing the price up.

Having said that, RG's in general are pretty good guitars with a lot of versatility. I'd prefer one over an SG or a Flying V, but they're so different that's there's little point comparing them, anyways.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Out of those 3 the Ibanez JEM is more of a shred guitar, the SG is more of a rock guitar and the Flying V is more of a metal guitar.

All 3 are versatile, but look which guitar is better suited to your playing style and to the genre you mostly play.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Of those?

Hard call.

You free to ring me or I give you a call?

PM me.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
They're all very different. The SG and V are fantastic. The 555 is a glorified RG350. Rule the JEM out.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The 555 is a glorified RG350. Rule the JEM out.

+1

though you should be able to get a prestige RG for the same price, so that'd be worth considering.

aside from that, they're very different guitars (i mean the gibsons versus the ibanez, not the jem versus the rg).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?