Plus help me ID an amp...

So I'm looking for amp that has that chime-y Fender sound, without the big Fender price tag. I'm also wanting to get a little bit of overdrive or bite out of it, without having to use a pedal, even if I have to crank it. I think I would want a 1x12. I'd hopefully use this for university/smaller gigs and to achieve a cleaner tone that I can't/don't know how to get from my ENGL.

Also, my friend's mom bought an amp years ago, 80's to 90's I'm thinking, and I'm interested in it. I think its a 1x12, and it has 2 inputs, Treble, Middle, and Bass EQ dials, and an On/Off switch on the front. It was also a tube amp, and I don't know what its called.

Thanks.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Used Deluxe Reverb RI.

Pretty affordable, nice cleans, not stupidly loud and takes pedals very well.
And you better get some pedal(s) for the gain tones.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
+1 to both a twin and a deluxe reverb. just buy them used to avoid the fender price tag. i recently saw a used DR reissue for $500, and i got my 70s era twin for less than a grand. when you say you are looking for fender cleans...there really is only one option.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
A used Peavey Valveking 112. Use the clean channel with the bright switch. It's as Fendery clean as you can get without spending $$$$ on an actuall Fender twin or twin reverb or a Mesa Lonestar.
as far as amps that are similar to fender cleans, although i do not think it sounds anywhere close, the yamaha g100 is a solid state twin reverb clone. i've used one before and it definitely has clean to it, you can get em for cheap too
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

I don't know the price tag because I inherited mine but try a Roland Jazz Chorus. Any kind will do. I have the JC-77 and it has done WONDERS for me. I know they make the 120 (the most popular), 55, 90.
^^^ plus one, its a different more sterile clean but the JCs do have a great clean, but he seems like hes looking for the american fender clean so a DR or TR would most likely suit him best
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
Click + an OD pedal.
Probably going to be the best fender brand deal without going used.

Honestly though if you are going to be in a dorm I would just go Solid State because tube amps don't really show their true tone until they are cranked up.
Quote by sparkeyjames
A used Peavey Valveking 112. Use the clean channel with the bright switch. It's as Fendery clean as you can get without spending $$$$ on an actuall Fender twin or twin reverb or a Mesa Lonestar.

+1. Even though the gain never really cut it, I was always amazed by my VK's clean channel. Loved it.

You never really gave us a budget though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
what engl do you have? at least some of them do that fendery thing reasonably well- not as well as a fender or fender clone, but it shouldn't be impossible to get a decent approximation, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Gigmaster 15. Seems its more of Rock amp than a clean one. I haven't tried lowering the input gain all the way down and just turning up the volume yet though. I also have a Bad Monkey for an OD if I really need to get some bite out of the amp.

Budget is lets say $1000. I'm more window shopping right now. I also feel like because I'm not in a band (just me and my friend playing stuff), and because I feel like I'm not good enough to own something as big as a tube head and a 2x12, that I should thin out the herd, so to speak.

Maybe not $1000... How bout ~$700?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Feb 26, 2012,
$1000 will get you all sorts of great options including Fender.

I was gonna suggest Rivera-era Fenders including the infamous Redknob varieties.
Or a Sunn Alpha (the older tube model).
But your budget is quite large so those are weak contenders in that realm

EDIT: Roland Jazz Chorus if you want cleans. Their OD is garbage in my opinion but you can't get better SS cleans than a JC.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 26, 2012,
How about some sort of Vox amp? Aren't they decent for clean tones?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
How about some sort of Vox amp? Aren't they decent for clean tones?

yeah either the ac15 or the ac30.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Yeah, Vox amps absolutely sound like Fenders.

Just like 6505s sound like Plexis.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Yeah, Vox amps absolutely sound like Fenders.

Just like 6505s sound like Plexis.

So they don't have good cleans...? My sarcasm meter has trouble detecting over the internet.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Yes they have good cleans, but the AC15/30 are voiced differently than Fender amps. I'd recommend the 30 over the 15 as it has more of "that Vox tone".
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by AWACS
So they don't have good cleans...? My sarcasm meter has trouble detecting over the internet.

As the other guy already said, they have good cleans, but they don't sound like Fender cleans.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by AWACS
I have a Gigmaster 15. Seems its more of Rock amp than a clean one.

ah ok, that may be true, i haven't tried that one yet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?