Hi there guitar buddies,

Just registered on here. Can't believe i've been playing for almost 8 years now and i haven't been part of this community.

Anyway. My first question, and i hope someone can help me.
I find myself earning good money through my full time job, and so luckily i'm now able to spend money on excellent gear. Never reaaaaally spent all my money to buy something extremly good, instead i've been sticking to my mid-range quality stuff.

My main guitar at the moment is the Jackson RR-24, it does the job you know, great for metal runs and can definitely pack a punch!

I tried out the ESP Horizon FR-2 at my local store, i gotta say i liked it, you hold it and you can just feel the quality of the instrument is another level. The action on it was a bit low, but that can be adjusted like i did on my current rhoads.

Being a loyal Jackson fan though (i also have the WRMG), i've been looking at the soloist SL-1, that's the USA series, haven't had the chance to actually hold it and play it and i dont think i will, cause theyll only order it if i wanted to buy it.

So what do you guys think? Apart from cost and personal liking, which guitar would you rather spend good money on?

I really appreciate any advice i can get to get my sound to the very next level!

Cheers
Personally I would go for the ESP, but then again im a ESP fan and since you played the horizon im sure you know why. Both are solid instruments though, maybe put up a request on craigslist as someone might have one that would be willing to let you try it out.
I've never played the USA Soloist, but as an ESP user, I'd tell you to go for the Horizon. They're beautiful instruments and are crafted extremely well.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
As another player of Esp's I'd have to say go with it. They are such amazing instruments.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I think in general the Jackson will be a slightly higher quality instrument, but as far as I know it's also quite a bit more expensive. That probably means that the ESP is a better value buy.

Normally I'd say Jackson all the way, but then that's because I'm a big fan of theirs. In your case, if you've played and like the ESP, then you know you'll like that. You can buy that exact guitar. It's better than having the shop put in an order and then realising that you don't like the guitar that you've been sent.

I'm sitting on the fence!
SL1

I've played one. Absolutely fantastic instruments.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
SL1 is pretty damn good. It has Hss seymour duncans and floyd rose. But Horizon is FR+EMG or TOM+ HH Seymour duncans. Since i like a passive hss combination with trem, jackson sl1. + Jackson American seems better to me. Still ESP are as solid as Jackson.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Personally I would go for the ESP, but then again im a ESP fan and since you played the horizon im sure you know why. Both are solid instruments though, maybe put up a request on craigslist as someone might have one that would be willing to let you try it out.

Ditto.

Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
I think in general the Jackson will be a slightly higher quality instrument, but as far as I know it's also quite a bit more expensive. That probably means that the ESP is a better value buy.

Normally I'd say Jackson all the way, but then that's because I'm a big fan of theirs. In your case, if you've played and like the ESP, then you know you'll like that. You can buy that exact guitar. It's better than having the shop put in an order and then realising that you don't like the guitar that you've been sent.

The ESP and the Jackson in question are both the same exact price.

However, +1 to your second statement.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Ditto.

The ESP and the Jackson in question are both the same exact price.

However, +1 to your second statement.

Oh, okay. ESP Japan tends to be quite a bit cheaper than Jackson USA here in the UK. I suppose I should have realised that might not be the case everywhere.

Over here, ESP Horizons tend to sell in the £1500 range, Jackson USA soloists more like £2000.
Well there's a pretty big gap between the Horizon NT and the Horizon FR. Over here, the Horizon FR is $2000, and the SL1 is $2000. I think the NT is apparently $1700 over here.

...I'm pretty sure ESP has raised their prices. Cause I'm pretty sure the Horizon FR used to be $1800 and the NT was $1500. Or maybe I'm just going crazy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Owning both guitas (not an SL1 but an SL2H, and not a Horizon FR but a Horizon NT) I can tell you that both instruments are high quality ones. But there is no denial that Jackson USA is just that slightly bit better build, uses slightly better woods and is still a hand crafted instrument. You feel that when you play it.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with ESP (heck, I wouldn't own 3 of them if I wasn't happy about them), but as you say the price is about the same, I'd go with the Jackson, certainly as you like their necks (well, I think so, otherwise you wouldn't own 2 of them is it :p)
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
^ EDIT: ^ ah right, if they're the same price, yeah, i'd probably go for the jackson.

Quote by Confuse-a-Cat

+1

i'm not sure i've tried an SL1, but i've tried several USA Jacksons and they were excellent guitars. The ESPs I've tried have been excellent, too, but teh USA Jacksons probably shaded it.

Up to you, really. You shouldn't really go "wrong" with either, but that's not to say one might not be a better option for you, personally.

Sit on fence too. FTW.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey guys,

Wow, thanks for all the responses.

What i might do i check out another guitar store where i can actually play the SL-1. I can't decide so far, what i gathered is obviously both instruments are quality stuff.

Don't know... I'll definitely have to play the Jackson cause it won't be easy to simply move to ESP without having tried out the SL-1.

Once again thanks for the many responses! I shall let you all know how it goes. Will post a pic
Okay, so i'll be testing out the Soloist this saturday as well as the Horizon one more time, but i'm still finding it very hard to leave Jackson. One guitar i've always wanted is the Jackson WR-1! Like i mentioned i own the WRMG, but knowing the WR-1 is the USA series and has very similar price tag, i migt go for that...
Can't decide lol