So I just decided to download Steam, I started downloading a games and my peak speed is so far 1.6MB/S.

Now if I download on Utorrent the highest I've seen is 600KB/S.

Also in the task bar if I put the pointer over the internet icon it says I have a speed of 54MB/S.

Why is it so much slower on Utorrent and how come i can never get 54MB/S download speeds if that's what the internet speed is?

Would be really cool to get 54MB/S D/L speeds.
I FEELS YA BRAH. DW ABOUT IT THOUGH JUST GET SOME MAD RACKS ON RACKS ON RACKS, NAWMSAYIN.

Quote by devourke
I FEELS YA BRAH. DW ABOUT IT THOUGH JUST GET SOME MAD RACKS ON RACKS ON RACKS, NAWMSAYIN.

No
I'm guessing the 54MB DL speed is really 54Mb. ISP's always use megabit instead of megabyte (or mebibyte) to measure their speeds. Probably to confuse consumers into thinking they're getting more for their money than they are.
REGGIE
sorry in advance for actually a serious answer -.-

Quote by mybanez
So I just decided to download Steam, I started downloading a games and my peak speed is so far 1.6MB/S.

Now if I download on Utorrent the highest I've seen is 600KB/S.

Also in the task bar if I put the pointer over the internet icon it says I have a speed of 54MB/S.

Why is it so much slower on Utorrent and how come i can never get 54MB/S download speeds if that's what the internet speed is?

Would be really cool to get 54MB/S D/L speeds.

w/ 1.6MB/s peaks, you have most likely ~15Mbit download speed of you connection.
The reason utorrent doesn't run on that speed is a) you have set up some limits in utorrent or b) your isp is reducing you speed on peer-to-peer transfers or c) you sipmply haven't downloaded from people w/ fast enough connection. Also 1.6MB/s is quite typical peak speed on older b/g routers, so your connection might actually be higher and your router might be limiting it by it's maximum performance

The reason it says 54Mb/s is because you're connected through wi-fi to your router. 54Mb/s is again very typical bandwidth for a/b/g wi-fi. It has nothing to do with you internet connection, it's just the theoretical speed you're connected w/ to your home network (or school or work or wherever you are)
Quote by JD2k9
You don't have 54MB/s, you have 54 Mb/s. There are 8Mb in 1MB, so basically you have about 7MB/s.

Exactly this, also on Steam you're downloading off a server, instead of uTorrent where you are downloading off other peers. You can also get very high download rates off of uTorrent if there are a good amount of seeds. But since Steam has a server, it is a sustained and almost always higher download rate.
Quote by red157
Getting killed is an occupational hazard when you're an armed robber.

Quote by Random88
Drunk birds falling over? Sounds like Glasgow

'The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.'

- Jimi Hendrix
herrrrr derrrrr
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by KorYi
sorry in advance for actually a serious answer -.-

w/ 1.6MB/s peaks, you have most likely ~15Mbit download speed of you connection.
The reason utorrent doesn't run on that speed is a) you have set up some limits in utorrent or b) your isp is reducing you speed on peer-to-peer transfers or c) you sipmply haven't downloaded from people w/ fast enough connection. Also 1.6MB/s is quite typical peak speed on older b/g routers, so your connection might actually be higher and your router might be limiting it by it's maximum performance

The reason it says 54Mb/s is because you're connected through wi-fi to your router. 54Mb/s is again very typical bandwidth for a/b/g wi-fi. It has nothing to do with you internet connection, it's just the theoretical speed you're connected w/ to your home network (or school or work or wherever you are)

Thanks for a real answer.
On Utorrent I only have an upload limit set, download is unlimited.
Could the upload limit effect download speeds?

Also From what I understand your saying a new router could improve speeds?
Quote by mybanez
Thanks for a real answer.
On Utorrent I only have an upload limit set, download is unlimited.
Could the upload limit effect download speeds?

Also From what I understand your saying a new router could improve speeds?

no, upload limit does not affect your download.

Yes it could, but only if your internet connection speed is faster than like 20Mb/s. First check with your ISP what connection speed you actually have. Or if you have UTP cable at hand, you can just try connecting your laptop w/ cable directly to the router and run test @ speedtest.net to see if it's any faster than if you run it over the wifi. If it is faster (like much faster) than buying a new router will improve your connection speed.
BitTorrent clients are a pretty bad way to gauge your D/L speed because it's reliant on the number of seeders and their connection speeds.
Quote by element4433
What if the way their wieners were positioned they could only pee into each other's mouths?

And one had his finger joined to the other's butthole?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
Ah I remember my days of piracy with uTorrent.

20kb/s. ETR: 2 Weeks.

Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
The speed through Utorrent depends on how many seeds there are and how fast they seed.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Gyroscope
The speed through Utorrent depends on how many seeds there are and how fast they seed.

Check two posts up brah.
Quote by element4433
What if the way their wieners were positioned they could only pee into each other's mouths?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
Quote by Laird95
Check two posts up brah.

Neat.
(Invalid img)
Quote by element4433

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
Quote by Laird95
(Invalid img)

I blame that squiggly line for disrupting the space-time continuum.
REGGIE
Quote by LeakyFlask
I blame that squiggly line for disrupting the space-time continuum.

It's his sig...
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by Laird95
(Invalid img)

UG Classic? Pfft.
Quote by digman50
It's his sig...

No way did I just fall for that
Quote by element4433

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.