Fast, technically proficient guitar music.

If it's sloppy or mindless scale wanking it's not shredding
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

I agree
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCsLV5jdWzI

One of my examples of Shred.
Not particularly musical or emotional just so many freaking notes.

PS: I love Paul Gilbert.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by steven seagull

I partially disagree. No offense.

I think its a subjective term and is often used in a derogatory way by those who hate shredding to explain shredding. Not that anyone owns this term or its definition but it is sometimes used in that context.

A good friend of mine argue about this a lot. He's in a band that plays a lot of cover songs and he's a rythym guitarist, just chords. He hates speed just for speeds sake (which I know you do too based on other posts about quality rules all). I'm the exact opposite as my friend as a guitarist. Perfect scales with all the bells and whistles, pulls, taps, bends, speed, sweeps, etc... He hates it. He calls me a shredder. He even calls slower rock ballad solos, shredding.

I'm not saying he's right and I do take offense to his one sided, biased opinion that i'm a "shredder". I'm just saying that its his perception on shredding. While I disagree with it, its still mindless scale wanking in his opinion, no matter how good it is.

I've always thought shredding was bpm speed, plain and simple and even crappy playing at certain speeds can have happy consequences. I might not be right, either, but it just goes to show we all have our own ideas and no-one really has a corner on the market for the true definition of shredding.

Wikipedia definition is interesting but also not a defined golden rule: "Shred guitar or shredding is a lead electric guitar playing style, based on fast guitar solos. Critics have stated that shred guitar is associated with "sweep-picked arpeggios, diminished and harmonic minor scales, finger-tapping and whammy-bar abuse",[1] while other guitar writers say that rather than being a musical definition, it is a fairly subjective cultural term used by guitarists and enthusiasts of guitar music. It is usually used with reference to heavy metal guitar playing, where it is associated with rapid tapping solos and special effects such as whammy bar "dive bombs". The term is sometimes used with reference to playing outside this idiom, particularly bluegrass, country, jazz fusion and blues.[2][3]"
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by mystical_1
I partially disagree. No offense.

I think its a subjective term and is often used in a derogatory way by those who hate shredding to explain shredding. Not that anyone owns this term or its definition but it is sometimes used in that context.

A good friend of mine argue about this a lot. He's in a band that plays a lot of cover songs and he's a rythym guitarist, just chords. He hates speed just for speeds sake (which I know you do too based on other posts about quality rules all). I'm the exact opposite as my friend as a guitarist. Perfect scales with all the bells and whistles, pulls, taps, bends, speed, sweeps, etc... He hates it. He calls me a shredder. He even calls slower rock ballad solos, shredding.

I'm not saying he's right and I do take offense to his one sided, biased opinion that i'm a "shredder". I'm just saying that its his perception on shredding. While I disagree with it, its still mindless scale wanking in his opinion, no matter how good it is.

I've always thought shredding was bpm speed, plain and simple and even crappy playing at certain speeds can have happy consequences. I might not be right, either, but it just goes to show we all have our own ideas and no-one really has a corner on the market for the true definition of shredding.

What was the purpose of all this other than to toot your own horn, exactly?

Quote by mystical_1
Critics have stated that shred guitar is associated with "sweep-picked arpeggios, diminished and harmonic minor scales, finger-tapping and whammy-bar abuse"

I'd like to know who these "critics" are, because this definition is wickedly off-base.
Quote by 1998metalhead1
what does shredding actully mean i can play fast but dont what shredding actully is

http://www.guitarworld.com/joe-satriani-shred-ache

All musicians, whether you’re a drummer or a bass player or a guitarist or whatever—you have to be ready to explore the boundaries and limits of your physicality on your instrument.

GW Which you did, and Steve Vai did, and certainly Paul Gilbert did, as well. What would you say about Paul Gilbert? Racer X was an all-out speed metal band, so would you call what he did with them “shred”?

SATRIANI Oh yeah. Absolutely. That was shred.
Last edited by mdc at Feb 26, 2012,
Fast lead guitar. Whether it's done poorly or greatly, or whether it's done interestingly or predictably, are both ancillary matters. Introducing extra qualitative attributes such as those just devolves the question into a wankfest of discussion about 'art'.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
Whether it's done poorly or greatly

Well, not exactly. The whole point of shred is technical proficiency, so if you're not playing accurately at a high tempo then it's by definition not shred.
Quote by :-D
Well, not exactly. The whole point of shred is technical proficiency, so if you're not playing accurately at a high tempo then it's by definition not shred.

Hmm, that's certainly a thought.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
Hmm, that's certainly a thought.

I bring this up primarily because I think if people looked at it this way we'd see fewer "watch me shred" YouTube videos, which would do the world a service.
Playing fast. Whether it's good or bad is all an opinion of the listener. I love Shawn Lane's playing but don't like Rusty Cooley's. They both are shredders but "how" they shred is what sets them apart.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
Playing fast. Whether it's good or bad is all an opinion of the listener. I love Shawn Lane's playing but don't like Rusty Cooley's. They both are shredders but "how" they shred is what sets them apart.

The issue isn't "good or bad", though, it's about accuracy, which isn't subjective.
someone can still be a sloppy shredder. listen to Dragonforce or Avenged Sevenfold play their solos live. It's still shredding even if it's sloppy.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
But I'd argue that it's not. Shred is based on technical proficiency with the instrument, which allows passages to be accurately executed at high speed.

Anybody can flail their hands around, but the whole technique of playing the guitar is obviously to get the hands in sync. Therefore, if you're not accurate, you're not playing with a high level of technical proficiency; ergo, you're not shredding.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shred_guitar Nothing on this page states "technical proficiency" except where it says the quote from Steve Vai. In that case I'd argue "shred" is a subjective term, which the article states in the firs section. It says various techniques used, scales, and triads but nothing about being technical. Someone could play 4 ascending chromatic notes and then descend and as long as it's played fast it's shred.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by calebrocker
Nothing on this page states "technical proficiency" except where it says the quote from Steve Vai.

Yeah, the page also offers to define shred as sweep-picked arpeggios, diminished and harmonic minor scales, finger-tapping and whammy-bar abuse", which leaves out the most fundamental, basic point of shred.

Quote by calebrocker
In that case I'd argue "shred" is a subjective term, which the article states in the firs section. It says various techniques used, scales, and triads but nothing about being technical. Someone could play 4 ascending chromatic notes and then descend and as long as it's played fast it's shred.

I'm sure it's subjective to a degree, but according to the definition based purely on speed, the following players would be shredders:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqnL8Q9WCbY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsQC6S4M97g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MELEVv3l4E

I'm sure Shrapnel would be less than impressed if I submitted their demo tapes.
the first 28 seconds of that first video is shred. the rest is just power chords. the second video he has one of the primary fundamental elements of shred down, and that's alternate picking. he has a good right hand but his phrasing needs some work.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
the first 28 seconds of that first video is shred.

Since we're not going to agree, I'm curious as to what others have to say about this.
Quote by calebrocker
the second video he has one of the primary fundamental elements of shred down, and that's alternate picking. he has a good right hand but his phrasing needs some work.p

You really think that guy has alternate picking "down"?
Last edited by :-D at Feb 27, 2012,
Most people seem to think of the term 'shred' in a rock/metal context. Some jazz musicians play extremely fast 'technically proficient' passages, i'd be interested how many people would say that those guitarists are shredding..
look at a classical guitarist or classical pianists, bluegrass musicians, whatever. they're playing a genre of music. i've seen lots of classical guitarists play badly, but they still get through the piece and at the end of the day it's still classical guitar and speed banjo players have a bad technique and a sloppy right hand but it's still bluegrass. just because a person plays shred with bad technique doesn't mean they're not playing shred. are they shredding? maybe not, but are they playing shred? I think so.

if you think shredding means you have to play fast and sound good with a metal influence to your playing then you can call it shredding if you want. even if it is sloppy.

if a guy playing blues and a clean tone plays incredibly fast and uses legato and tapping that could be shred too.

someone playing a classical guitar with fast runs up and down the neck can be shredding too.

to me, as long as it's fast, it's shredding. "Shred" is a type of guitar playing. But someone can shred it up on a sax too.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
look at a classical guitarist or classical pianists, bluegrass musicians, whatever. they're playing a genre of music. i've seen lots of classical guitarists play badly, but they still get through the piece and at the end of the day it's still classical guitar and speed banjo players have a bad technique and a sloppy right hand but it's still bluegrass. just because a person plays shred with bad technique doesn't mean they're not playing shred. are they shredding? maybe not, but are they playing shred? I think so.

The issue is that word isn't definitive. Are you using "shred" to describe extremely technically proficient, high speed playing. "Wow that guy just shredded some wheat over Giant Steps, what a dickweed. "

Or are you using shred to define a very narrow genre of metal-guitar music? "That guy is in a shred metal band."?

Anytime I see somebody rippin' balls, regardless of genre, I always tell them they "shredded that shit up, brah". And I would definitely withhold the term "shred" if the person in question wasn't extremely fast and articulate. ...like previously mentioned, the label is quality specific - at least in terms of technical execution.

For instance:
This is shred, and really ****ing terrible music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG74eVb6V10
This is just really terrible music with extremely poor execution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Jh1BV1EOc

But I wouldn't call the 2nd "shred" or say he was "shredding" because he is so technically inept that it'd be too much of a compliment.
Last edited by chronowarp at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by chronowarp
The issue is that word isn't definitive. Are you using "shred" to describe extremely technically proficient, high speed playing. "Wow that guy just shredded some wheat over Giant Steps, what a dickweed. "

Or are you using shred to define a very narrow genre of metal-guitar music? "That guy is in a shred metal band."?

Anytime I see somebody rippin' balls, regardless of genre, I always tell them they "shredded that shit up, brah". And I would definitely withhold the term "shred" if the person in question wasn't extremely fast and articulate. ...like previously mentioned, the label is quality specific - at least in terms of technical execution.

I use them both ways. I edited my previous post. Shred is a type of guitar playing using various types of techniques. Whether the guitarist is good at the techniques or not doesn't matter. It'll usually be metal influenced and always fast. It's "shred"

"Shredding" is different. It's fast technically proficient playing on any instrument. If it's fast and it sounds good, the person is shredding.

This isn't shred. But there's shredding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLXpEt42W-8
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by greeneyegat
Most people seem to think of the term 'shred' in a rock/metal context. Some jazz musicians play extremely fast 'technically proficient' passages, i'd be interested how many people would say that those guitarists are shredding..

I actually do. I use the term to describe virtuoso playing. To me Chopin was shredding the piano like a God. Maybe I'm misusing the term.

To me, good shred is when a player plays interesting and intricate lines with great technical proficency and bad shred is when a player plays less interesting lines but still with great technical proficency. IMO if there is sloppiness, there is no shredding going on. Therefore, most youtube shredders are not shredding IMO.
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
I actually do. I use the term to describe virtuoso playing. To me Chopin was shredding the piano like a God. Maybe I'm misusing the term.

To me, good shred is when a player plays interesting and intricate lines with great technical proficency and bad shred is when a player plays less interesting lines but still with great technical proficency. IMO if there is sloppiness, there is no shredding going on. Therefore, most youtube shredders are not shredding IMO.

Exactly, they're just kidding themselves that they're better than they are and completely missing the point that their heroes and just incredibly fast at playing the guitar, they're also incredibly good.

Every young guitarist goes through the "look at me imma shredding" phase, which invariably involves messily tremolo picking the strings whilst flailing your left hand fingers wildly at the fretboard in the forlorn hope that something good will come out...anybody who claims they didn't go through this probably also calims not to masturbate either
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
the definition of shred changes from person to person. for the most part, its playing fast. but that also varies depending on the person.

i would say, playing fast is when the mind is no longer able to focus on individual notes, and relies solely on muscle memory.
Shred (verb, tr.)
1. To tear or cut into shreds esp. small strips; to reduce to shreds.
2. to play the shit out of an electric guitar; to display a level of virtuosity that tears the audience a new arsehole; to devote your life to this, to the exclusion of all else.

SHREDDING is my job. I have need doing it almost every day since the late 70s. I love this unusual job of mine, and I hope that all of you reading this post can find a place in your musical life to enjoy what SHRED has to offer.

If you are a player:

SHRED GUITAR presents one DEADLY CONFLICT that all SHREDDERS must resolve in their own manner. This is the fact that the GOAL OF SHREDDING is to play with FEROCIOUS SPEED, PIERCING TONE, DEADLY ACCURACY and CRUSHING INTENSITY. But in order to accomplish these goals, the guitar player must use SMALL, DELICATE, CONTROLLED, AND PATIENTLY HONED MOTIONS that are generated from one's WEE FINGERS.

I want to demonstrate the reality of this conflict. Picture in your mind the late 80s heavy metal guitarist: tight pants, chrome chains, skulls, leather and a pointy electric guitar. Only the GUITAR STRAP is pulled up to baby-bib, jazz guitar height. If guitar posing was a hairstyle, this would be the MULLET. Is SHRED guitar doomed to the cultural shame and ridicule of the mullet? Only time and the new generation of SHREDDERS will tell. But amongst the fashion chaos those ferocious notes will continue to provide a fantastic, face-melting soundtrack.

If you are a listener:

Do you ever get a little bit bored of Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd and its perfect guitar solo? Sure, it's perfect. It's melodic. It fits the song. It makes you say "Ooh, ahhh ... that's smooooth!" But it does not make you jump out of your seat, stick your head into the speaker, and say "Holy shit! Who played that solo!?" And the best stuff by Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen and Dream Theater will do just that. A glorious shot of adrenaline is yours EVERY TIME some high-quality SHRED is in your ears. Seek it out and ENJOY THE SHRED!

If you are a friend, parent, teacher, or bandmember:

Forget it. Once he/she has gotten into SHRED there is no cure. On the surface. your loved one may be patient, obedient and willing to compromise. But on the INSIDE, deep within the soul, the spirit of SHRED will grow until one day they WILL stand upon a lighted stage and play 16th-note triplets with such CLARITY, SKILL and MIGHTINESS that all who behold will gaze in awe and say, "Look how LOW their strap is! I can't believe they can still SHRED!"

My SERIOUS definition of SHRED is simply this: SHRED is the attempt to play your guitar very, very, very, very well. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, but not as a hobby, not as background music.
To SHRED is to love the SUPREME BEAUTY that is the electric guitar and give it ALL YOU'VE GOT because WHAT COULD BE MORE FUN THAN PLAYING YOUR ELECTRIC GUITAR?!

Thank you for letting my CAPITALISE so many words.

Now go out there and change the world, you FUTURE SHRED GODS!

My name is Paul Gilbert, and I am a SHREDDER.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by steven seagull
Exactly, they're just kidding themselves that they're better than they are and completely missing the point that their heroes and just incredibly fast at playing the guitar, they're also incredibly good.

Every young guitarist goes through the "look at me imma shredding" phase, which invariably involves messily tremolo picking the strings whilst flailing your left hand fingers wildly at the fretboard in the forlorn hope that something good will come out...anybody who claims they didn't go through this probably also calims not to masturbate either

Amen. Unfortunately, probably due to the popularity of the instrument, many guitarists will never be musicians. Some become very technically proficient on the guitar but they never get proficient at music which is actually much more important and even more rewarding.
Quote by steven seagull

While i agree alot of people do this everyones gotta start somewhere, even if it sounds terrible.
Quote by Hydra150
Shred (verb, tr.)
1. To tear or cut into shreds esp. small strips; to reduce to shreds.
2. to play the shit out of an electric guitar; to display a level of virtuosity that tears the audience a new arsehole; to devote your life to this, to the exclusion of all else.

SHREDDING is my job. I have need doing it almost every day since the late 70s. I love this unusual job of mine, and I hope that all of you reading this post can find a place in your musical life to enjoy what SHRED has to offer.

If you are a player:

SHRED GUITAR presents one DEADLY CONFLICT that all SHREDDERS must resolve in their own manner. This is the fact that the GOAL OF SHREDDING is to play with FEROCIOUS SPEED, PIERCING TONE, DEADLY ACCURACY and CRUSHING INTENSITY. But in order to accomplish these goals, the guitar player must use SMALL, DELICATE, CONTROLLED, AND PATIENTLY HONED MOTIONS that are generated from one's WEE FINGERS.

I want to demonstrate the reality of this conflict. Picture in your mind the late 80s heavy metal guitarist: tight pants, chrome chains, skulls, leather and a pointy electric guitar. Only the GUITAR STRAP is pulled up to baby-bib, jazz guitar height. If guitar posing was a hairstyle, this would be the MULLET. Is SHRED guitar doomed to the cultural shame and ridicule of the mullet? Only time and the new generation of SHREDDERS will tell. But amongst the fashion chaos those ferocious notes will continue to provide a fantastic, face-melting soundtrack.

If you are a listener:

Do you ever get a little bit bored of Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd and its perfect guitar solo? Sure, it's perfect. It's melodic. It fits the song. It makes you say "Ooh, ahhh ... that's smooooth!" But it does not make you jump out of your seat, stick your head into the speaker, and say "Holy shit! Who played that solo!?" And the best stuff by Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen and Dream Theater will do just that. A glorious shot of adrenaline is yours EVERY TIME some high-quality SHRED is in your ears. Seek it out and ENJOY THE SHRED!

If you are a friend, parent, teacher, or bandmember:

Forget it. Once he/she has gotten into SHRED there is no cure. On the surface. your loved one may be patient, obedient and willing to compromise. But on the INSIDE, deep within the soul, the spirit of SHRED will grow until one day they WILL stand upon a lighted stage and play 16th-note triplets with such CLARITY, SKILL and MIGHTINESS that all who behold will gaze in awe and say, "Look how LOW their strap is! I can't believe they can still SHRED!"

My SERIOUS definition of SHRED is simply this: SHRED is the attempt to play your guitar very, very, very, very well. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, but not as a hobby, not as background music.
To SHRED is to love the SUPREME BEAUTY that is the electric guitar and give it ALL YOU'VE GOT because WHAT COULD BE MORE FUN THAN PLAYING YOUR ELECTRIC GUITAR?!

Thank you for letting my CAPITALISE so many words.

Now go out there and change the world, you FUTURE SHRED GODS!

My name is Paul Gilbert, and I am a SHREDDER.

You sir, are a bro. seriously.
anytime you gonna rap battle, i be in your crew gee.

and, you nailed my interpretation on the head. that was bang on.
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
Amen. Unfortunately, probably due to the popularity of the instrument, many guitarists will never be musicians. Some become very technically proficient on the guitar but they never get proficient at music which is actually much more important and even more rewarding.

Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG

Yes, to some extent, but in my personal experience this is true of a lot of instrumental players. It's more prevalent in guitarists because of the nature of the guitar community and the general approach to the instrument.

Guitarists just get a ton of shit because so many awful examples are readily available. A lot of it, like the usual "oh, rock/metal/whatever players are terrible musicians etc." is unfounded and is just taken from the worst examples of various genres.
Yes, to some extent, but in my personal experience this is true of a lot of instrumental players. It's more prevalent in guitarists because of the nature of the guitar community and the general approach to the instrument.

what he said: "many guitarists never learn to become musicians."

what you said: "many instrumentalists never learn to become musicians. it's just that guitarists occupy a larger percentage."

nobody ever said that guitarists are the only ones. it seems you were trying to refute the point, but it looks to me like you're agreeing with it.

Guitarists just get a ton of shit because so many awful examples are readily available. A lot of it, like the usual "oh, rock/metal/whatever players are terrible musicians etc." is unfounded and is just taken from the worst examples of various genres.

because it's true. rock/metal guitarists are generally not that good. i can think of very, very, very few examples of good rock/metal guitarists that don't also play other genres. as a matter of fact, the only one i can think of offhand is dave mustaine. pretty sure he's no jazzhead.

Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
what he said: "many guitarists never learn to become musicians."

what you said: "many instrumentalists never learn to become musicians. it's just that guitarists occupy a larger percentage."

nobody ever said that guitarists are the only ones. it seems you were trying to refute the point, but it looks to me like you're agreeing with it.

I wasn't trying to refute the point, I'm simply clarifying the other part of it. There's a huge anti-guitar sentiment from the music community in general as I've experienced it; guitarists generally don't help themselves avoid it too much, but I just try to put it in perspective where I can.

Quote by AeolianWolf
because it's true. rock/metal guitarists are generally not that good.

Yeah, but that's true of any activity/instrument/etc.

Quote by AeolianWolf
i can think of very, very, very few examples of good rock/metal guitarists that don't also play other genres. as a matter of fact, the only one i can think of offhand is dave mustaine. pretty sure he's no jazzhead.

The fact that they're playing or have played other genres doesn't mean that their focus isn't in rock or metal though. It's helpful to have all these other influences, but if somebody's primarily playing a certain style I'm inclined to call them by that style.
Quote by Spaztikko
You sir, are a bro. seriously.
anytime you gonna rap battle, i be in your crew gee.

and, you nailed my interpretation on the head. that was bang on.

I think you may have just got yourself sigged.

Although I cant take the credit for the awesomeness in my post - I typed that up from an article/foreword in a special 'SHRED' issue of Total Guitar in 2007, written by Paul Gilbert. That issue has always been my favourite publication, responsible for introducing me to technical guitar playing - the collection of Paul Gilbert lessons in it are brilliant and I wouldn't be half the guitarist I am today without it.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do