Hi all i'm close to ordering one of these,i just noticed there is no gain knob. How do you control the amount of fizz/crunch and can a good tone be achieved without blowing the windows out.
I would personally use a distortion pedal in that case, but it can be done by using the volume knob on your guitar.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
The Vintage Modern isn't designed to give a distorted tone without blowing the windows out. Even if you set the volume high and then use your guitar's volume to get a cleaner or dirtier sound - as the amp was designed to be used - it'll still be quite loud.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by paul w1
Hi all i'm close to ordering one of these,i just noticed there is no gain knob. How do you control the amount of fizz/crunch and can a good tone be achieved without blowing the windows out.

The pre amp gain controls are the 'body' and 'detail' dials. You control the crunch with your guitar volume, the body and detail and whether you are in LDR or HDR mode

While the 2266C sounds ok at low levels, it's not really a bedroom amp. You get into jizz tone territory when it's cranked past 5 or so.

And 5 in a bedroom will definitely blow your windows out.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Feb 26, 2012,
Thanks guys, i use my TH30 on 30w with the gain at about 2 oclock and the volume at 12 oclock, the amp really sounds great and it is quite loud but ok. Would the 2266 sound good at about half volume?
Quote by Phoenix V
The pre amp gain controls are the 'body' and 'detail' dials. You control the crunch with your guitar volume, the body and detail and whether you are in LDR or HDR mode

While the 2266C sounds ok at low levels, it's not really a bedroom amp. You get into jizz tone territory when it's cranked past 5 or so.

And 5 in a bedroom will definitely blow your windows out.

You answered before i asked the question lol.
As said, it's split in to body and detail. Detail is the trebley gain and body is the bass if you like. You can EASILY get a great tone at bedroom volume.

But yes, around 4 or 5 is definitely where the really sweet stuff starts to happen. It is my main amp both for gigs and bedroom use and the master volume makes it perfect for both.

Just order the damn amp already!
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
As said, it's split in to body and detail. Detail is the trebley gain and body is the bass if you like. You can EASILY get a great tone at bedroom volume.

But yes, around 4 or 5 is definitely where the really sweet stuff starts to happen. It is my main amp both for gigs and bedroom use and the master volume makes it perfect for both.

Just order the damn amp already!

Ok then just to keep you happy i will order it in the morning, one last thing 2x12 or 4x12. I've got room for the 4x12 but is it overkill, the 4x12s in this vid sound nice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXp7wq9Euik&feature=player_embedded
Quote by paul w1
Ok then just to keep you happy i will order it in the morning, one last thing 2x12 or 4x12. I've got room for the 4x12 but is it overkill, the 4x12s in this vid sound nice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXp7wq9Euik&feature=player_embedded

If you're going to gig with it, get a 4x12. If it's just going to sit at home, a 2x12 will be sufficient

Quote by paul w1
Thanks guys, i use my TH30 on 30w with the gain at about 2 oclock and the volume at 12 oclock, the amp really sounds great and it is quite loud but ok. Would the 2266 sound good at about half volume?

Volume isn't directly related to wattage. a 50W amp will only be slightly louder than a 30W amp. If you can turn your amp up that high already, you shouldn't have any issues getting the VM going.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by paul w1

I use a 4x12 cab with mine. It's the matching 425A cab. Which is also purple.

It is a pain in the ass to get around but it sounds so full which I love. If you don't mind the struggle getting it around, then go for the 4x12
I've heard the VM really needs some better tubes for it to shine. I've heard multiple stories of people not really being satisfied with it until they change the tubes, then they love it. You might wanna go ahead and order a full set of JJ's, or J( pre's and SED =C= powers.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I use a 4x12 cab with mine. It's the matching 425A cab. Which is also purple.

It is a pain in the ass to get around but it sounds so full which I love. If you don't mind the struggle getting it around, then go for the 4x12

After watching the video showing all the cabs i did like the 4x12 425a and the 1960a, i know GAK are out of stock of the purple 425a but i will see what they have and what deal they can do me.
Order it from me

Best price in the UK and with you for Tuesday if you do.....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Blktiger0
I've heard the VM really needs some better tubes for it to shine. I've heard multiple stories of people not really being satisfied with it until they change the tubes, then they love it. You might wanna go ahead and order a full set of JJ's, or J( pre's and SED =C= powers.
I will give it a good test first.
[

Volume isn't directly related to wattage. a 50W amp will only be slightly louder than a 30W amp. If you can turn your amp up that high already, you shouldn't have any issues getting the VM going.
That's what i was thinking and the Orange amps are known for being very loud for there watt.
Anyone want to buy a TH30 and 2X12, just ordered the 2266 and a 4x12,it will be here Thursday or Friday, i hope this amp is all i want it to be,,,,Paul.