Oh almighty and all-knowing GG&A
JK, just a quick question..

I'm looking for an amp, I really only need a general picture of what to go for in terms of brands/ type/ wattage etc...

- I live in the Veneto, Italy

- I play in my bedroom, not very loud; I have yet to play gigs but I'm hoping to start - so small ones at the most. I'm mainly looking for good tone and heavy distortion sounds.

- I DO like my distortion.
I play mostly Industrial metal, Tool, Pantera, RATM as well as lots of Alice in Chains and some lighter "punky" sounds like Jane's Addiction.
So no shortage of that sweet, crunchy distortion.

- Decent cleans, less important but in the name of versatility...

- I should be able to muster up to and around 400 euro (= $540 / £340 )

- Used is fine

Please tell me if I need to elaborate or explain anything further, any help will be greatly appreciated
Last edited by Basti95 at Feb 28, 2012,
Big or small, a drummer is a drummer wherever you're playing and that's who you have to keep up with.

Try and hunt down a used JCM900 combo. They often go really cheap and will do what you want ok. not sure what they would go for in Italy but everywhere else bargians are to be had if you keep your eyes open.
JCM2000 DSL401's can be had for a steal at times too.
A JCA50 would be worth looking into too. So would a Peavey Windsor.
A little on the metal side of things but Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX amps can often be had for quite reasonable prices and would do the job.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I personally use a Blackstar HT-5C. It's a 5w all valve, 10' speaker combo; 2 channels, shared 3 band EQ plus an 'Infinite Shape Feature' which alters the voicing of the amp from american style to british style (i.e. Fender-Vox/Mesa-Marshall/whatever you hear from it). There's plenty of 5w and even lower amps on the market so have a look around, check out some professional reviews and some home demos, remember that even 5w of valve power is loud as hell when cranked and happy shopping
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Thanks so much guys! I'll definitely give the Blackstars the most consideration at the moment...my local shop (I'm pretty lucky to have a warehouse-sized, well equipped store nearby) has a relatively wide range of HTs.
Even the HT5 heads seem pretty good, but I suppose they're not worth the extra cost of a cabinet..?
You aren't going to be gigging with a HT-5. Well you can if you mike it up and feed a lot back through the monitors but then you could do that with a pod too. A HT-5 will not keep up with a drummer unless he's playing with brushes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You aren't going to be gigging with a HT-5. Well you can if you mike it up and feed a lot back through the monitors but then you could do that with a pod too. A HT-5 will not keep up with a drummer unless he's playing with brushes.

I see...that could be a serious blow to my ambition.
It's not like I'm scared of having too much wattage, I just don't need to spend too much on power I might not be using for some time still.

I've been looking around, within my price range I found the 50W Valveking 112...is that maybe a better idea?
You could look at the ht20 combo. That should just about keep up with a drummer, definitely if micd.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
what does "around" mean? how flexible is your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what does "around" mean? how flexible is your budget?

It depends how much they give me for a crap MT-2, Frontman 65R, 15G and Montarbo keyboard amp from the 80s.
Let's say if you add that to what I already have, I could stretch to 550 euros. 480-500 euros is probably the most realistic sum I can pull out
Quote by Basti95
It depends how much they give me for a crap MT-2, Frontman 65R, 15G and Montarbo keyboard amp from the 80s.
Let's say if you add that to what I already have, I could stretch to 550 euros. 480-500 euros is probably the most realistic sum I can pull out

thanks

if you can get up over 500 euro, thomann sells the traynor ycv50b for around 580 euros, depending on what VAT is where you are. i'm not sure how it'd cope with the heavier stuff (you'd need an od boost at least, though thomann sells the harley benton vintage od which is a clone of a tubescreamer for 29 euros), but it's pretty good for the less heavy stuff up to and including hard rock, and should be pretty versatile. It's also made in canada, has a plywood cab, and already has a decent stock speaker (celestion vintage 30). Most of the cheaper tube amps are made in china, have particleboard or mdf cabs, and have rubbish stock speakers. the traynor is a definite step up from them (IMO) and is just a really good deal for some reason.

Considering it's pretty much good out of the box and doesn't need any upgrades, it'd be worth considering, even if you have to save slightly longer. If you really can't stretch, then don't sweat it, but I figured it was worth pointing out in case you could just save for another couple of weeks, as personally i'd rather buy right and buy once.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 26, 2012,
Thanks, I'll take that into consideration although I'd be happier with something I can try out first hand. ATM i'm partial to the Valveking, 50 watts is pretty much perfect and I've heard good things about it.
Quote by Basti95
Thanks so much guys! I'll definitely give the Blackstars the most consideration at the moment...my local shop (I'm pretty lucky to have a warehouse-sized, well equipped store nearby) has a relatively wide range of HTs.
Even the HT5 heads seem pretty good, but I suppose they're not worth the extra cost of a cabinet..?

I am considering getting one of the HT series for my next amp actually. Some people really like them. But now i'm really drawn to Line 6's DT series.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by Basti95
Thanks, I'll take that into consideration although I'd be happier with something I can try out first hand. ATM i'm partial to the Valveking, 50 watts is pretty much perfect and I've heard good things about it.

the traynor is way better than a valveking

i understand the concern about buying something you can't try, but you're taking a Lada you can try over a Toyota you can't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the traynor is way better than a valveking

i understand the concern about buying something you can't try, but you're taking a Lada you can try over a Toyota you can't.

Things is, as much as I trust your judgement I'd be spending quite a bit more (+ shipment etc) on something I've frankly only heard about from yourself. I did some research on it and yes, it seems like a quality amp and a good deal, but I don't think it suits my needs, at least not enough for me to jump on it blindly.
I like Traynors. They're good amps. I would take one over a Valveking 10 times over 10.

That being said, you don't really give us a lot of flexibility, we don't really know what you can or can't try out. Personally, I think the Valveking sounds buzzy and awful, and would never recommend one to anyone.
Agreed.

I mean they're no soldanos or anything, but they're good amps made with reasonable quality parts, with a plywood cabinet and a good stock speaker. they're also made in canada.

compare that to the valveking, with a terrible stock speaker, particleboard (or similar guff) cabinet, solid state (not valve) boost and made in china.

I mean I know preference is very important, but objectively, the traynor is the better amp.

don't get me wrong, i'd rather have a valveking than a cheap starter solid state amp or something like that, but like you (andrew, i mean), i'd take the traynor over the valveking every single day of teh week. it's not even a decision, if you ask me. By the time you upgrade the valveking you're at the price of the traynor, and it's still not as good.

doesn't thomann have free shipping over 200 euros? i know it does to the UK, anyway. either amp should qualify for free.

don't get me wrong- it's your money and your call. just i'd be wary of going for an amp which even its fans admit is fairly mediocre, and its only real purpose is getting you a decent versatile valve amp for cheap.

just out of interest, how does teh traynor not suit your needs but the valveking does? I could understand it if you were getting a 6505 or something instead, but the valveking?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A Valveking would be ok but they need work. You need to at least change the speaker but really they need to be modded and unless you are capable of doing that sort of thing yourself it can get quite pricey. I'd take a Traynor over a Valveking any day, no hesitation. A Traynor really will suit your needs well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A used Vox Night Train 15w works, Blackstars are also great. Those are two you should really look in to.
Quote by Cathbard
A Valveking would be ok but they need work. You need to at least change the speaker but really they need to be modded and unless you are capable of doing that sort of thing yourself it can get quite pricey. I'd take a Traynor over a Valveking any day, no hesitation. A Traynor really will suit your needs well.

Will it? I understand it's extremely reliable in terms of quality and sound but has limited distortion or have i heard wrong? I play lots of Pantera and industrial metal like Ministry, i don't really want to have to buy another pedal you see..
You'll have to boost it but you're going to have to do that with a VK too.
Really for Pantera you'd be better off with some raspy SS POS like a Randall Warhead or an Ampeg VH-140C.
You're more likely to get the Ampeg cheap, they come up from time to time. There's also the Crate GX-130C which is basically the same amp. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole but it is more the sort of thing you'd be wanting.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I know i'm being a bit of a bitch here but i'm seriously checking out everything you guys tell me about and i'll remember it, so thanks again!

Pantera is probably the heaviest band among the ones I play, but i DO play them a lot...I'm just into solid aggressive distortion that doesn't sound like a can of bees...what would you say to the 6505+ 112 or the Valve King 212?
^ 6505+ (assuming it sounds like the US-made heads, they're the only ones I've tried) would be better for out-and-out modern metal than either the valveking or the traynor.

the traynor is probably a better amp, but the 6505+ is more metal-orientated.

Quote by Cathbard
You'll have to boost it but you're going to have to do that with a VK too.
Really for Pantera you'd be better off with some raspy SS POS like a Randall Warhead or an Ampeg VH-140C.
You're more likely to get the Ampeg cheap, they come up from time to time. There's also the Crate GX-130C which is basically the same amp. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole but it is more the sort of thing you'd be wanting.

+1

you're really struggling to get a pantera sound even with super-high gain tube amps. not to say you can't get an approximation with a boost, but pantera tone is one of the few ones where a tube amp arguably isn't necessarily what you want.

I guess it depends on how much pantera you play. personally i'd get a tube amp (which is more useful and sounds better for pretty much every other type of music you'd play, including metal) and try to persuade it to do pantera. but it's up to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cool, that's what i wanted to know yeah I'm not exactly a Pantera fanboy, i wouldn't want Dime's tone, i want a distortion that can handle it.
The band i listed are just a kind of indication, i'm looking for my own sound
ah ok. if you just want a good high gain tone, then (assuming it's similar to the USA-made ones) a 6505+ should handle it.

the traynor would be a better idea for an all-rounder. the peavey will do metal better, the traynor everything else better (more or less).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
With all this in mind I would say the Traynor and a nice distortion pedal would be the way I'd go. You'll get much closer to what you want and still have scope for versatility. If I was trying to pull off Pantera at times with my rig I wouldn't be trying to do it just with my amp and my main amp will get me into Mesa Mark territory on channel 3 - and I can boost the sucka to a ridiculous degree with my GP-8. I'd still be wanting something like a dirty bomb or similar to get Pantera or Ministry types of tones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah considering pantera is solid state anyway, a pedal might be a better idea for it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So if i save up for 600 euros...

Valve Combo? Decent enough but with good distortion or Good quality and cheap + good pedal?

Valve Head (and Cab but maybe later, with some extra saving up)? ^And same question?
guess i'll have to say some nice things about the VK. no they aren't prefect however they do have a decent sound and are more versitile that some of the amps mentioned. having seperate EQ for each channel is a good thing for sure. as for the SS boost well i think you'd be hard pressed to find an amp in that price range that doesn't. i've been pretty happy with mine and chose it over several other amps that seem to get recommended here often. the one thing i will have to say though is that i tend to play 70s style hard rock/metal and blues rock which doesn't requier massive amounts of gain. the VK's gain really hits the diminishing returns after about 5 and gets kinda muddy sounding after that. if i need more gain then i use an overdrive. a speaker change is a good idea but the stock one really isn't that bad but needs some time to get broken in (once it does it sounds better).
^ yeah maybe i was a little harsh on the VK. I have quite liked it when i've tried it, and if you can get it cheap enough it might be worth considering. it's just in europe it's not as cheap as in the USA, and you can get the traynor for very little more.

Quote by AcousticMirror
if you are in italy buy a brunetti.

+1 except it's prolly gonna be way over budget. the one i tried was £1000 for the head alone. though they might have some cheaper models, but i haven't tried them.

Quote by Basti95
So if i save up for 600 euros...

Valve Combo? Decent enough but with good distortion or Good quality and cheap + good pedal?

Valve Head (and Cab but maybe later, with some extra saving up)? ^And same question?

i'd say the traynor + a pedal

i don't think it makes sense to buy a worse amp and then spend more on pedals. the amp's more important.

a valve head won't work without a speaker cab too, so if you can't afford both at once, that's not really going to work either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 2, 2012,
Oh thanks for the heads up on Brunetti, looks like a pretty damn cool brand..!

Damn the Traynor is so hard to come across here. 572 is still the best for a YCV50B which wouldn't leave me much for pedals :/ hopefully i'll get to try some out soon though, let you know what i find...

Quote by Dave_Mc
a valve head won't work without a speaker cab too, so if you can't afford both at once, that's not really going to work either.

Haha i know at least that much. But a friend of mine got a Randall head for a relative bargain and waited quite some time before he had enough for a cab, apparently it was worth it...seems kinda desperate to me though.

Cheers for all the help boy am I clueless
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah maybe i was a little harsh on the VK. I have quite liked it when i've tried it, and if you can get it cheap enough it might be worth considering. it's just in europe it's not as cheap as in the USA, and you can get the traynor for very little more.

+1 except it's prolly gonna be way over budget. the one i tried was £1000 for the head alone. though they might have some cheaper models, but i haven't tried them.

i'd say the traynor + a pedal

i don't think it makes sense to buy a worse amp and then spend more on pedals. the amp's more important.

Yeah, i got mine dirt cheap ($250) Pretty damn good for that price.
yep sure
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
See times like these i feel like i'm sort of missing out on the good deals, why do i live in such a hole?
Except the SE custom i got for 400 euros, but that was a little bit of a gamble, it being eBay...

Anyway yeah, i really can't wait to get rid of some stuff and bring a new (finally decent) amp into the house
And i'm not going to lie, up until now i've been using a Frontman 65R and an MT2.

It can hardly get much worse IMO