Poll: Which Tele to choose?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Tele to choose?
Squier Classic Vibe
19 50%
Fender Standard MIM
19 50%
Voters: 38.
This is a follow up to a thread I started a few days ago. Without going into the full story, looking for my first guitar and have it narrowed down to these. I know this topic has came up before, but when I searched the forum, all of the threads that came up were a little old and I didn't know if the quality, or anything else had changed. Can you please help me decide. I know people seem to love their CV's. I also hear that the MIM's are hit or miss on quality. Is it worth the extra $150 for the Fender. Are the pickups better in one, tuners, quality, etc... Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!
Last edited by smokeykpt at Feb 26, 2012,
Right off the shelf, the CVs I've tried have been better.
As a platform for modding, MIMs are a wiser choice.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
In my opinion, a Mexican Tele is much better because you can get the original 'twang' sound out of the guitar, which is more useful for country and funk rock.
Why not just ask this in your original thread? Also this exact same thread with the exact same poll came up just a week ago.

I prefer the classic vibe to the mim. I think the overall attention to detail is better, setup and fretwork is better, and comes with nicer pickups.
Sorry, when I searched, I was getting much older threads. So the pickups ARE better in the CV? Also, I am planning on using it as it. For a while at least. No plans to mod right now.
CV is better, you hear a right body sound. Very good guitars I guess you should to pay attention to it. Cv body consist of two pieces and it makes sound closer to original fender.
Last edited by Terraplane at Feb 26, 2012,
Or the new Chinese fenders. $399
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I don't think I want the Modern Player. I assume that is the one you are talking about. Just wanting to stick with classic Tele. The honeyburst finish on the MP is fantastic though. If I could get that on a standard I would be set.
Depends on what MiM Tele you choose. There's the see-through gloss standard tele, which is made out of ASH and they tend to have the best quality out of MiM Teles. If your looking at alder standards, be very careful as those in my experience have hit-miss QC. Also worth looking into is the Blacktop Teles.

EDIT: Try the modern players^. Never limit yourselve to trying guitars. Try EVERYTHING and see if you like it. I usually don't like strats but the Modern Player strat I tried was perfect.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Feb 26, 2012,
NM*** Thinking Strat.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
You'll find just as I did more people will vote for the MIM Fender and I think largely because more people own one and because a lot of people feel the need to see Fender on the headstock. The Classic Vibe is an awesome guitar. I was stuck between the two guitars you mentioned in your poll.

I created the other thread that people have mentioned above. Another thing on top of trying and hearing them was the fact that owners that own both guitars preferred the CV over the MIM. Even guitar tech's/salesmen I spoke to on the phone from various stores preferred it. In fact even a Fender rep said they are a very very good guitar and easily rival the MIM. I hope this helps you to make your mind up. :-)

EDIT: Didn't see it was for a Tele and not a Strat. Basically as I was researching people said much and much the same thing about the CV Tele's.
Last edited by ibanart300 at Feb 26, 2012,
Defintely the Cv tele. I've got a Classic vibe custom, and its on of the nicest feeling and sounding stock guitars I've played.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I can't go wrong either way. Since I have to order one, wanting the one that has the best chance of being set up right out of the box. Never thought picking out a guitar could be so hard!!
I voted for Fender Standard for three reasons.

One, the necks: While they're both supposed to be "modern C" shape, the CV neck tapers quicker and is thinner at the nut, which makes chording more awkward to play.

Two, the bridge: The MIM has a six saddle bridge, while not traditional is easier to maintain and intonate.

Three, the resale value. Fenders maintain a higher resale value than Squiers. But that's the perennial argument against Squiers.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I have thought about resale value too. If I don't like playing for some reason and need to get rid of it, it seems actual Fender would be easier to unload.
On Craigslist the difference between resale value of those two guitars is almost always less than the difference in purchase price.

In other words, with the CV you get back a higher percentage of what you paid.
It is unbelievable what used CV's Tele's and Strat's are going for in Australia. Nearly everyone I have ever looked at has been close to there original purchasing price...Whilst looking for used CV's I saw lots of other Squier guitars and the same could not be said of the other Squier guitars. It seems that the CV's are a little different in reputation.
I never thought I'd get a MIM strat, but then I found one that spoke to me for $300 at GC. Can't say I have much experience with the CV line, but if you can get one cheap, go for it. But realize that you can find guitars in the sub $500 range that will probably destroy it. I played a Fender Highway One strat at GC that made me regret buying my MIM strat. It was $450 used and mint. I also played a Japanese Mustang reissue a year later for around the same price that made me want to sell an Ibanez and buy it,. Same for the Pawn shop series.
Quote by Spud Spudly
On Craigslist the difference between resale value of those two guitars is almost always less than the difference in purchase price.

In other words, with the CV you get back a higher percentage of what you paid.

True, but it is easier to sell a MIM than a CV. As a buyer, what is the better value: a $300 (from $500) MIM, or a $250 (from $375) CV?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by gregs1020
Or the new Chinese fenders. $399

I like the necks of the MiMs better.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
there are some awesome MIM's out there. after going through a ton i have found one that i will stick with forever.

there are some crappy MIM's out there as well.

i woudn't do the Fender MIC thing until some other people buy it and see what they see. i however am not in the market anyways.

some like the squiers, they are no means bad, they are actually quite nice, i just like the MIM's a little bit better.

as far as prices go MIM's go for as low as $225 alone if you get the right one at the right time. i paid $220 gpt the one i own now and it came with a hard shell case and a marshall mg...lol in the deal as well. i was quite happy with that (MG being a little bonus, i still have it but it is burried).

$250-275 you can get any day of the week.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by kangaxxter
True, but it is easier to sell a MIM than a CV. As a buyer, what is the better value: a $300 (from $500) MIM, or a $250 (from $375) CV?

Rofl are you kidding me. It is not easier to sell a mim. The used market is over saturated with them. Ive seen them go for $200 around here. My buddy bought one for $175 from a guy who needed a quick sale.
Quote by kangaxxter

I have to agree with the last guy. I see a lot of MIMs that hang around a long time on CL but the CVs seem to go quick. And it's really not whether it's a better value compared to its original price but which is a better guitar for the used/asking price. Since a lot of people seem to think the CV is as good or even better than a MIM the answer to that in many cases would be the CV.
Classic Vibes sell very quickly on the used market, typically for not much less than they cost new. That tells you something, it means that people want to buy them.

You don't determine how easy a guitar is to sell by looking at it from the buyer's perspective of getting a "good deal." A "good deal" for a buyer is a bad deal for a seller. That = bad resale. There is a reason MIMs go for so cheap on the used market... use some common sense, ANY guitar is "easy to sell" if you are letting potential buyers low ball you.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 28, 2012,