Hey everyone,
I have been playing guitar for a few years. This year I left for college. The dorm I am staying in is a 24-hour quiet hour dorm. Originally I only brought down my acoustic however I am starting to realize how much I miss my electric. If I want to be able to play my electric in my dorm I need a new amp that is most likely smaller (I think?).

My top choice at the moment would be the Orange Micro-Crush. Truthfully all I want is an amp that I can use to jam in my room with and if I absolutely have to jam with friends (albeit I understand the amp will not sound fantastic).

My favorite bands are Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Dave Matthews Band, and Pearl Jam. I play a lot more but I definitely go for a wide-variety of sounds.
Also the guitar I will be bringing down is a fender HSS strat with a JB in the bridge.

Price limit is probably $90-$100 unless it would really benefit me to go over that.

Thanks!
Well, you can never go wrong with a Roland Cube or Peavey Vypyr.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Although I wasn't sure I wanted a digital amp. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Unless is the effects on sound different for the smaller amplifiers?
I guess to clarify my new question. I need an amp that can be played quietly to the extent it won't bother people who live in my dorm. If it gets a little louder than my acoustic right now that is probably fine. Would I be better off going with a modeling amp like a roland cube or viper or should I pick something else?
Tube amps + quiet = forget it
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Eh go for a digital one, would give you a better sound then any small valve amp. Roland's battery powered one seems good, or if you have electric there, go for 15 watt. I'd say Roland Mobile Cube Battery powered stereo
Why even bother with an amp. Just get a cheap PodXT or floorpod plus off of craigslist and a set of headphones and your all set. You'll never bother your neighbors at all with a setup like that. Why take a chance on getting someone to complain and possibly getting kicked out of the dorm.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Feb 26, 2012,
I am basing my opinion off of the fact that 8 months of my stereo playing and acoustic guitar jamming hasn't caused me to receive any complaints. Thus I am looking for an amp quiet enough to meet those goals. Part of me likes having an actual amp - I know it sounds ridiculous, because I actually think your idea was really good, it just isn't for me - plus I plan on using this one for travel in the future.

With that said, why would a digital amp give me a better sound than a small valve amp? Would it still be my sound? I hate the sound a lot of players get from the line 6's b/c it is so modified. I hear the same in larger Peavey Vyper's I have tried. With that said I haven't tried a small viper or a cube.

The Blackstar looks fantastic. Unfortunately it is $249 in the US which is more than I have in spending money at the moment and this is an "urgent" buy. However would it be worth going into "debt" so to speak to have this amp?
Quote by Mem101
However would it be worth going into "debt" so to speak to have this amp?

No amp is worth going into debt over lol.
If your going to go in debt over an amp least make it worthwhile haha.

Blackstar's worth every penny imo.

Id sell you my HT1R head if you was in the UK
Last edited by smokedereefa at Feb 26, 2012,
I was more speaking figuratively. I will still have plenty of money to pay for college and the like - its just my spending money will be significantly reduced. The used market sounds like a good idea. I think I am going to try a few of the listed amps out at the local guitar center (hopefully they will have them) and if I end up liking the Blackstar I'll see what I can find price wise.
Quote by Mem101
I was more speaking figuratively. I will still have plenty of money to pay for college and the like - its just my spending money will be significantly reduced. The used market sounds like a good idea. I think I am going to try a few of the listed amps out at the local guitar center (hopefully they will have them) and if I end up liking the Blackstar I'll see what I can find price wise.

sounds like a good plan
I can recommend this one

It has got the WHATTS knob which is very useful for small volumes. It reduces the anode voltage on the power amp tube. So you get all that tube sound and dynamics at comfotable volume.

You can her my sound example. When I was recording this my two years old daughter was sleeping in the next room

http://soundcloud.com/thebedroommusician/vht-squire-classic-vibe-50s
Check out a peavey classic 30, I've got a classic 50 and people say they're only for blues and similar stuff but they can handle stuff as heavy as metallica.
Washburn HB35
Fender American Tele
Breedlove C250

Peavey Classic 50 410
Fender Mustang 1