Hi Guys!

I have a question regarding floyd rose tremolo's and their incapability to do unison bends or country bends. You know? Where you bend one string while holding another with the same note to make it sound stronger? My les paul has a floyd rose special on it and i really like does those bends. but once i bend one note the other detunes as a result of the bridge compensating the bent string. I've seen alexi laiho do many bends like that and his sound doesnt seem to be affected. I've seen on some ESP websites that his spring placement is very weird could this be why his sound is not affected?

Link to pic: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/alexi_laiho/blacky_up.jpg
yep... higher tension springs won't move as much when you bend the strings... On my Strat, it came with 3 springs.. I had the same problem... added 2 more, adjusted the screws to float, and the problem went away..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
You can bend the other string a little too to keep it in tune. And some people hold the bar or press the bridge to keep it from moving.
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
^ +1

i can't believe i never thought of trying to hold the bridge in place Thanks!

but yeah the problem with adding springs is it'll affect how the trem feels
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

i can't believe i never thought of trying to hold the bridge in place Thanks!

but yeah the problem with adding springs is it'll affect how the trem feels

True that it will affect how it feels, as in it makes the trem feel more stiff and requires more effort to press down, which is great if you like to flutter but not too great if you like to do pull-ups. It's always a trade off.

You could look into Hipshot Tremsetters.
i'd have thought more springs would adversely affect flutter too, but i could be wrong. if the springs are too tight it jumps back into place too quickly, instead of wobbling about for a while.

But i might have the wrong end of the stick
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Papabear505
yep... higher tension springs won't move as much when you bend the strings... On my Strat, it came with 3 springs.. I had the same problem... added 2 more, adjusted the screws to float, and the problem went away..

The formation of the springs doesnt matter at all?
The formation of the springs will make a diff, an arrow formation would give a slightly stiffer feel than in a standard parallel formation due to 2 of the springs being in a stretched out position.

Adding extra springs will make the whole kit and caboodle stiffer causing things like flutters to die off fast rather than singing out a bit longer.

If you want to be able to use the unison bends on any trem equipped guitar without other strings going out of tune you will need to stop the bridge from moving at all. Hipshot Tremsetter will work but you need to drill your guitar for that. Otherwise there's the Tremol-no which I use and love on one of my floyd guitars and soon to be the other trem equipped guitars.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso