So I've got a Vox Ad100vth head sitting on top of a Hayden 4x12, but it just doesn't cut it for me. I've been put off hybrids by this, but is it just this amp? I can't get the kind of tone I want out of it, even with an EQ in the loop, it still sounds quite muddy.
Another thing I'd like to know, with heads like the Orange Terror series, they say that they're 20watts, but I hear they're much louder. How do you reckon it would sound without a slave amp? I'm using a Gibson LP studio, stock 490's straight into the head, with an MXR 6 band in the loop. Any suggestions for decent heads under about £700, preferrably running at 16ohms mono 240w (I don't want to rewire the cab to 8ohms stereo).
Cheers in advance UG.
Stating the obvious: Vox AD100 is a modelling amp.
- It is designed to get close to the sound of several famous classic amps, but unfortunately no model is perfect and so it instead like almost all modelling amps gets close but no banana

- Valve amps are louder - you certainly won't want up to 240W!!
What gigs are you playing that require 100W of power from a SS without being mic'd?
- I would venture to say there is no reason to buy a valve amp >30W unless it's sound comes from it's power rather than from it's design.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
You cab is rated at 240W. That means it can take an amp that will produce up to 240W, not that you need to run a 240W amp. I often run an 18W amp and even a 5W one into a 300W cab.
Normally one would want to run a cab of a higher rating than the amp. Amp power ratings are what the amp will produce theoretically before it distorts. A guitar amp (especially a tube one) will produce substantially more than that once you push it into distortion.
Forget what you think you know or what you think it is that you don't know. You need a better amp and to recommend one to you you need to provide us with some information. Go to this thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
then come back here with the answers to the questions asked there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
- £700 max, around £400 preferred.
- I want a versatile tone, clear cleans (john frusciante style), trebly distortion for riffs and mid saturation for solos (a la slash) very generic, but the best description.
- I'd prefer new, as I'd rather not replace tubes.
- For gigging live, but will be mic'ed.
- I'm located in Manchester.
- Gibson LP, MXR Equalizer, Crybaby Wah.
As I said before, is prefer a 16ohms rating, I don't want to run 8ohms.
do you need to be able to get those cleans on the fly? a laney gh50 or 100L would be great, but you more or less need to redial it in for cleans
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would say you might look into the Jet City JCA22H, JCA50H, Egnater Tweaker, Orange Dual Terror, Egnater Rebel, Marshall DSL401, or a Blackstar HT-40. The Marshall is a combo, but can be hooked to your cab. The Blackstar is a Hybrid, but is of a different breed than your hybrid. The Blackstar has op-amps and clipping diodes in it's signal path that give it more gain and a tighter sound, very similar to putting a tubescreamer in front of a tube amp. The Blackstars are hit or miss. Some people like them, some don't. I personally like the sound they give, but they get a lot of hate on here because they are adverised as "all-tube" when they are actually hybrid.
Unfortunately, yes, I do need to be able to change between channels, I should've probably specified that :P

And I think I'll see if any retailers near me are stocking the Blackstar amps, thanks for the info, I'll try before I buy on anything that I can, but if the other amps you mentioned impress me online, I may have to make a purchase.

Thanks everyone