I'm running my pedals through the FX loop in this order: Phase 90, BF-2 Flanger, ARDX20 Delay.

I also have an ISP decimator and wasn't sure of the best place to put it.

What would be the optimal order in your opinion?
EBMM Axis Black Cherry Burst
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
Put the decimator in the loop if you want to get rid of all the preamp hiss. Some people like it that way whereas others feel their tone sounds a bit too "cold" and sterile without that little bit of analog hiss

Assuming you're only using the gain channel of your amp for distortion (rather than a pedal), I'd recommend putting it before the preamp. That way you won't have to readjust it all the time, because if you did use some OD/Distortion source before the noise gate you'd have to re-adjust it as soon as you switch from clean to distorted. Getting a noise gate to respond well with both your clean and gainy sound can be tricky if the noise gate isn't place before the gain source 'cos if you over-compensate by cranking up the sensitivity the decimator will suck out your sustain

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Feb 26, 2012,
I don't own a noise gate myself, but I think I'd put it at the end of the chain, after the delay, so as to suppress any noise from the pedals as well.

As for the order of the other pedals, I think it's fine as it is with the delay at the end.

That said, I'd experiment, as I think you could get some good effects with the flanger or the phaser after the delay.
noise gate needs to go before delay, if you put the delay before the noise gate the noise gate will kill off repeats of the delay depending on how it is set
Fender Custom Shop Designed 50's Classic Player Strat
Orange Micro Terror
Quote by Nirvanafanjonny
noise gate needs to go before delay, if you put the delay before the noise gate the noise gate will kill off repeats of the delay depending on how it is set

Yeah, it really took the delay repeat away.
EBMM Axis Black Cherry Burst
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
I actually run my Decimator dead last in the chain in the FX loop, directly after my chorus and delay, and I guess I don't have as much noise coming through as others do, because I don't seem to have as much of an issue with it cutting off delay repeats. I keep the threshold set pretty low, rarely over 8 o'clock. Sometimes when I'm jammin by myself there's still a small bit of audible noise coming through at that setting, but the same amount is rarely audible when playing live amongst the other various noises going on in the venue.

But you may have a bit noisier system that requires you to turn up the threshold to the point that I cuts off delay repeats. Your mileage may vary
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion