Hi all, I'll keep this simple.

I bought a 6505 head used on Ebay.

I am selling my 6505+ combo because I have bought the head.

I already own a Harley Benton G212 Vintage with two V30s in it.

A guy messaged me asking if I would be willing to trade my 6505+ combo with him.

He was offering me a Mesa Recto 212 cab with two V30s in it.

This seems to be a great deal but thing is I need money as my bank has taken a dip as I bought the 6505 head.

If I agree to this I end up with two 212s each with V30s in, and I would need to sell one to make any money back (which I need to do).

I told the guy no, as I need money rather than another 212. Was this smart? Or are there other options I didn't consider.
Depends on how much money you need.

I would definitely have done it, and sold the HB cab. The Mesa cab is much higher quality.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

I would definitely have done it, and sold the HB cab. The Mesa cab is much higher quality.

Agreed
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
I need around £300 to be in reasonably good shape, minimum.

Thing is the Harley Benton is under a month old, and I bought it specifically for the 6505 head.

If I knew I could have traded my combo for a Mesa 212 then I wouldn't have bought the HB.

But I mean, is there really that much of a difference between the two? Given that they both have the same speakers and the HB is £170 whereas the Mesa is £600 it sounds a bit extortionate, and especially if I had to sell one I would make a lot more from the Mesa.

But either way I would need to sell one so I wouldn't really have achieved anything.

Oh, and I can still message the guy back and say I am interested but I want to be sure.

The two outcomes I can have is:

Having the 6505 head, HB cab and around 300 in cash from selling the combo.

OR

Having the 6505 head, Mesa cab and around 150 in cash from selling the HB.

To be honest I would rather have the extra cash than a cab that will sound basically the same as my current one.
Last edited by Random3 at Feb 26, 2012,
Often times the most important parts of tone are the parts you can't put down on paper.

For example, you can take an Epiphone and a Gibson, both with the same pickups, both made out of mahogany, yet the Epiphone will never sound as good as the Gibson.

Are you happy with the HB? Cause that's what's most important at the end of the day.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Are you happy with the HB? Cause that's what's most important at the end of the day.

Yes it sounds great but I have never used a Mesa one. They have the same speakers so surely they will be extremely similar? Is having the Mesa worth sacrificing the £150+ extra I would get from selling the Combo instead of the HB?
Last edited by Random3 at Feb 26, 2012,